Wood pigeon Cross racer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

theres a lad down here that keeps a mix of woddies and racers and hybrids and they are all happy to cross breed. they all fly out together and come in together. on the flip side know a lad that bred a hybrid and raised it with his youngsters, the bird flew fine with the birds growing up but first training session he seen it literally f**k off in the opposite direction by itself 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sid g said:

really cross bred woodies .

no a single cross bred woody in with his youngsters. probably the way i wrote that. should have been 2 paragraphs  - 

theres a lad down here that keeps a mix of woddies and racers and hybrids and they are all happy to cross breed. they all fly out together and come in together.

on the flip side know a lad that bred a hybrid and raised it with his youngsters, the bird flew fine with the birds growing up but first training session he seen it literally f**k off in the opposite direction by itself 

• Like 2
On 13/12/2021 at 18:00, South hams hunter said:

no a single cross bred woody in with his youngsters. probably the way i wrote that. should have been 2 paragraphs  - 

theres a lad down here that keeps a mix of woddies and racers and hybrids and they are all happy to cross breed. they all fly out together and come in together.

on the flip side know a lad that bred a hybrid and raised it with his youngsters, the bird flew fine with the birds growing up but first training session he seen it literally f**k off in the opposite direction by itself 

Has a kid I swapped eggs of woody under my brothers fantails he didn’t no at the time they hatched them then a cock fantail killed them both in the nest when there feathers came through I always thought it was something to do with the cock bird knew they was different had to tell my brother in the end because he was about to pull the neck on the cock bird

17 hours ago, mendip farmer said:

Has a kid I swapped eggs of woody under my brothers fantails he didn’t no at the time they hatched them then a cock fantail killed them both in the nest when there feathers came through I always thought it was something to do with the cock bird knew they was different had to tell my brother in the end because he was about to pull the neck on the cock bird

did he do it with any birds after or just the woody chicks? odd that 1 aint it

20 hours ago, mendip farmer said:

I'm going to try it in spring definitely. 

Ps. Do you hunt with the Mendip farmers? 

38 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I'm going to try it in spring definitely. 

with normal birds i cant see it being an issue mate; most of the stud lofts use surrogates and ive known my dad on multiple times to move both eggs and chicks with no issue. if theres an old cock/hen he thinks will struggle to raise a chick, a chick that is considerably smaller than the other  ( but well bred) or if he wants to get an extra round out of a certain pairing.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

with normal birds i cant see it being an issue mate; most of the stud lofts use surrogates and ive known my dad on multiple times to move both eggs and chicks with no issue. if theres an old cock/hen he thinks will struggle to raise a chick, a chick that is considerably smaller than the other  ( but well bred) or if he wants to get an extra round out of a certain pairing.

I've had 3 rounds off the same pair in nests at the same time, best way to do it rather than just letting them all breed.