Eye dominance effects accuracy, fact or fiction?

Whats your opinion on it? Yes it seems humans have a subconscious dominant favorable eye but does it really effect your shot? Some say it doesn't, and the methods used to counter this myth (ie closing one eye) makes you a bad shot...

Generally you point a shotgun as it should fit and be aiming pretty much where you're looking. I know a guy who shoots with an eye shut and he doesn't miss much , also one eyed fella who was a good shot. You've only got to see the bead move substantially by closing one eye or the other if you've a dominant eye then it makes sense to use it ....

well i am left eye dominant as bad as you can get.so bad that i have taught myself to ignore it if that make sense.do have to pre mount though.when i have a go on the basc stand they usually say how the f**k do you hit anything it is that bad.do better on compact with an average of 88%+ with a o/u or a pump action it makes no difference to the score.sporting can be anything from 66%-88% with a o/u,pump or a semi auto.did start off shooting with one eye closed but only got up to 50% score so re learnt everything  again from sratch.yes i know i should shoot left handed with my handicap but there is no way i am starting that ever.

Since I stopped aiming my shotgun with one eye and just pointing it with two open my shooting has improved no end. Even now though I some times fall into the trap of thinking about the shot and start aiming and miss. If I just concentrate on looking at the target and forget the gun I do ok. Also find if for example a pile of birds turn up I can miss unless I try and really focus on one bird then I am ok. Just my findings  

• Like 2

I thought i was right eye dominant last night when doing my own though up test, this video here confirm's it. Only right eye open, the coin stays in the triangle, only left eye open and the coin is gone only the green instructions are visible. Maybe abit tw@tful since I'm left handed.

Edited by Stone14

This can be a problem for women whose eye dominance can change through their lives and even revert back to where it was, this is a proven fact however it rarely affects men.  I am right handed with right eye dominant so pretty well normal (some would not agree ?) but my wife does suffer with some dominance problems and having tried various things, she finds looking at the clay with both eyes open and closing the left eye just prior to pulling the trigger which all works well for her.

A good friend of our has left eye dominance but right handed and after trying various aids to improve things, the most effective is to either pop a tiny round blocker held in place with a magnet to work a treat but on occasions when she has forgotten to take this device, a smudge of her lipstick in the middle of her glasses / sunglasses which again works well.

I am not a believer in barrel bits and pieces to control eye dominance but perhaps they work for some, as far as I have seen, one of the above works every time in my experience.

Phil

Some pistol shooters I know use a eye blocker for one of their eyes. For older shotgun shooters who lose the sight of their dominant eye an offset mounted red dot can work , one gunssmith made a new shotgun rib offset to the left, an other option is a custom made stock from the right shoulder to the left eye.

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. If I open both eyes while looking down the rib I get two sight pictures, one from each eye and as a result Im actually aiming about 4 foot the right at 30 yards. 

At present I shoot with the left eye closed but should really be shooting with both eyes open.

This weekend I'm going to toy with placing some tape on the right hand side of the left lens of my shooting glasses and see what happens. Hopefully it will take my left eyes focus off the bead and rib and keep it pointing straight ahead.

• 3 months later...