What did you pay for your work dog?

I paid 250 for a cocker pup 3 years ago from a keeper it's my first spaniel and they have helped me with any training problems she is just worker to worker bred he has bred 5 generations but has avoided trialing dogs as they usually have no off switch 

• Like 1

Iv seen a few mongrel types doing there job in the beating line some good terriers just today a lad brought his fell type along n it didn't put a foot wrong I like to see dogs do well at jobs that are there not typically bred for, pure collies are also very good brought on right. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, dodger said:

Iv seen a few mongrel types doing there job in the beating line some good terriers just today a lad brought his fell type along n it didn't put a foot wrong

I used to have one just like that. No formal training and one of my first dogs, just naturally steady and biddable, retrieved too. I should probably have bred that bitch but I reckon it's something of an anomaly, hard to reproduce, and I moved towards cockers anyway.

The terrier I have now is worlds apart. Totally single minded and ignorant. He has one job and he does it well but I do miss that old bitch.

I bred and sold a lot of fully trained dogs in the mid 70s. The market was just beginning to take off and I am not ashamed to say I made good money. i only had one returned after a full shooting season. He said the springer I sold him was running in to shot and ignoring the whistle. i took it back and can honestly say the bitch never put  a foot wrong with me. Some guys don't have any authority with dogs and dogs can sense it. I re-sold it and the buyer was delighted with her and regularly kept in touch until the dog's death.

I find todays sprinters a helluva lot more biddable than they were 40 years ago. Its a pleasure to train modern springers. Cockers still little sods though?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...