• 3 weeks later...

13 hours ago, brambles said:

Nice offer mate, I'd love to have the confidence to pick wild mushrooms 

Start Mushrooming by picking really easy ones mate. Giant Puff Ball is the safest one, Parasols another easy tasty mushroom if it's big has like a snake skin stalk safe mate. Another good one is the Hedgehog Mushroom a White cap with spikes instead of gills nothing to muddle that with except the Terracotta Hedgehog and you can eat that as well. Two others The Hen of the Woods grows at the base of Oak Trees or sometimes Sweet Chestnuts and Chicken of the Woods grows on the trunks of mostly Oaks phosphorus yellow sort of throngs plates often one on top of another.

A few good books are always a good start. 

A good site is one I keep putting up.

WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM

Edible and poisonous wild mushroom identification guide. When to pick, what to look for. Photos, video, safety tips for each mushroom.

Hope this might help ATB.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Arry said:

Start Mushrooming by picking really easy ones mate. Giant Puff Ball is the safest one, Parasols another easy tasty mushroom if it's big has like a snake skin stalk safe mate. Another good one is the Hedgehog Mushroom a White cap with spikes instead of gills nothing to muddle that with except the Terracotta Hedgehog and you can eat that as well. Two others The Hen of the Woods grows at the base of Oak Trees or sometimes Sweet Chestnuts and Chicken of the Woods grows on the trunks of mostly Oaks phosphorus yellow sort of throngs plates often one on top of another.

A few good books are always a good start. 

A good site is one I keep putting up.

WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM

Edible and poisonous wild mushroom identification guide. When to pick, what to look for. Photos, video, safety tips for each mushroom.

Hope this might help ATB.

Cheers Arry

I used to pick mushrooms and harvest all kinds of berry's, fruit, nuts and fur and feather with me grandad when I was a lad and I took more interest in setting snares and ferreting and  using catty than I did picking fungi but I wish I'd took more notice,I no the obvious one to pick like field mushrooms and to stay away from ones with yellow around stalks ,I came across these yesterday and thought they looked like blue legs as they was blue underneath but not sure so left them .I come across lots of different types but don't want to risk it .

20211016_130533.jpg

18 hours ago, brambles said:

Nice offer mate, I'd love to have the confidence to pick wild mushrooms 

Only ones I trust me self picking are field mushrooms otherwise leave them .

Shame I didn't take more notice of me grandad when he'd take us out foraging on long walks to give me mam a break  but I only seemed to like it when he took us ferreting or out with catty after kaneys,  

• Like 1