Using mole traps

6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Flat out just now pal ?

Same here struggling to keep up with it at the minute!

5 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I never stop. I visit all my customers every fortnight and double back to any that have ongoing problems in the interim week. 3 days one week, 1 day the next and so on. This week I only had 2 calls to make so spent the rest of the day looking for new fishing places. 

The way I work means that the money always comes in whether there are moles to catch or not. I don't have to sweat over the phone ringing.  

Sounds like you have it weighed off to a tee. Is it seasonal in France or all year round?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

100%. Theyll still be there when the rain stops! 

? As far as Trapping various critters goes,.. catching moles, sure ain't Rocket Science.... Some guys insist upon making the job, far harder than it is,.. I guess that is a kind of traditional mo

Took these this morning on a nearby estate.   

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’ll be glad of a break if I’m honest but first year going solo, so trying make hay whilst sun shines sort a thing haha ??  

Yeah same here. You have to do it while it's there, I'm knackered. Just started another 500 acre farm today. Trying to get through the list and keep everyone happy.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Same here struggling to keep up with it at the minute!

Sounds like you have it weighed off to a tee. Is it seasonal in France or all year round?

It is all year round, but peaks from Feb through to June, sometimes to September. I'll get lots of enquiries from new customers with infestations from next month, but I decline them and just do my regular contracts three days a fortnight plus one catching up day.

9 hours ago, Nicepix said:

It is all year round, but peaks from Feb through to June, sometimes to September. I'll get lots of enquiries from new customers with infestations from next month, but I decline them and just do my regular contracts three days a fortnight plus one catching up day.

Nice one! It sounds like it works well for you.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Nice one! It sounds like it works well for you.

It suits me. Before I was blatting about all over the place, doubling back to jobs that over ran. Now I know where I am going each day and I'm always home for tea time ?

• Like 3
On 19/01/2022 at 21:25, Moorman 1 said:

Yeah same here. You have to do it while it's there, I'm knackered. Just started another 500 acre farm today. Trying to get through the list and keep everyone happy.

I'm on foot, & f....d to be honest,  carrying all the gear, etc...I'm 52 now, & starting to feel it ! 

5 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

I'm on foot, & f....d to be honest,  carrying all the gear, etc...I'm 52 now, & starting to feel it ! 

Why don't you get a quad or mule? I have my own quad but if the land owner has a quad or mule they always let us use it then we knock a few quid off the bill. It saves hours of donkey work.

• Like 1

When I did farm work I used a fishing trolley that had been modified to make the wheelbase wider. It was harder work getting on and off the farmer's quad than pulling the trolley. I would take thirty tunnel traps, ten Talpex and thirty Putanges along with the markers and covers in two 60l plastic  containers.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nicepix said:

When I did farm work I used a fishing trolley that had been modified to make the wheelbase wider. It was harder work getting on and off the farmer's quad than pulling the trolley. I would take thirty tunnel traps, ten Talpex and thirty Putanges along with the markers and covers in two 60l plastic  containers.

I would like to see you push a trolley full of traps on some of our ground on the moor,lol. It's whatever suits your situation I suppose. I find a quad or a gator suits us fine. Last week we had 650 traps to pick up on one farm, with the gator it was perfect a couple of trips and we were done.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

I would like to see you push a trolley full of traps on some of our ground on the moor,lol. It's whatever suits your situation I suppose. I find a quad or a gator suits us fine. Last week we had 650 traps to pick up on one farm, with the gator it was perfect a couple of trips and we were done.

650! I was more or less full time on the moles at one point but I was nowhere near that. Fair play 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Why don't you get a quad or mule? I have my own quad but if the land owner has a quad or mule they always let us use it then we knock a few quid off the bill. It saves hours of donkey work.

I can't justify my own (financially), (not on moles alone, here, anyway) & the trailer & a suitable vehicle to tow it, to be honest ....never mind reasonably secure storage, etc,...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

" 650 traps "?,...thats good going, that ?

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

650! I was more or less full time on the moles at one point but I was nowhere near that. Fair play 

8 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

" 650 traps "?,...thats good going, that ?

We had that down on another 550 acre farm this week picked up around 160 yesterday to move on to another job. Thats with two of us working together.

• Like 1