Using mole traps

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

100%. Theyll still be there when the rain stops! 

? As far as Trapping various critters goes,.. catching moles, sure ain't Rocket Science.... Some guys insist upon making the job, far harder than it is,.. I guess that is a kind of traditional mo

Took these this morning on a nearby estate.   

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

well , i know  certain farmers really well, now,....(cause moling alot for them , over the years, etc) & to be honest 2 or 3 of them, actually , brought it up, too,....so could tell they were up for it,...but they CERTAINLY arent all like that !,....ive made all the mistakes too, over the years ,.....working too cheap, etc,....one of them,....lead up to last christmas,....was banging on about "keep going, try & account for X amount , for christmas,   cause your gettin something extra" ,...right ? ,....so i assumes, great , a must be getting a 'cash' bonus, perhaps ?????,...........(how wrong i was !!!   ha ha) ,......guess what i got ??,.........(by the way, your quite right, how your approaching it, with them, above,....sounds good)

my bonus , he says  " was hanging up in a bag, in the shed "    WTF !!    it was 3 f***ing mole traps !    So disappointing, was pissed right off !   lol lol,.........it was, what you call him  'Tilimangros' favourites too,   'Pest stops ',...jeffs probably !,...where is he,...he can have them for Christmas !  lol

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

would have been £630 for me,....sorry, how many hours, is that, you charged...im not good at calculating, or the arithmetic ?

25 hours job tuck £20 a hour knocked 5 hours off as he got me farm next door so should of been £500 for job but farmer gets me a bit of work an can run dogs on his land so just keeping him happy farmer talk so hopping he pass my name about for moles an puts good word in when asking farms to run lurchers an terriers on land ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, tank34 said:

25 hours job tuck £20 a hour knocked 5 hours off as he got me farm next door so should of been £500 for job but farmer gets me a bit of work an can run dogs on his land so just keeping him happy farmer talk so hopping he pass my name about for moles an puts good word in when asking farms to run lurchers an terriers on land ?

Thanks , for the reply.

Some interesting thoughts?

Obviously,.. we are all individuals when it comes to pricing for mole trapping work, so there will always be a massive difference in costing...

Personally,.. I no longer have to take on big farms, as I have hundreds of private gardens,, small holdings, etc, on my books

Facts are, I can never do all the work requested of me, so I invariably pass it on, to trusted operatives.

Nice situation to be in, but,  it has taken me a long old while to become.. financially, 'self sufficient'...?

With that in mind,.. the best advice that I could ever give to anyone is,...Never work Cheap.....?

All the best, stay safe, and good trapping...regards, OldPhil?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

Some interesting thoughts?

Obviously,.. we are all individuals when it comes to pricing for mole trapping work, so there will always be a massive difference in costing...

Personally,.. I no longer have to take on big farms, as I have hundreds of private gardens,, small holdings, etc, on my books

Facts are, I can never do all the work requested of me, so I invariably pass it on, to trusted operatives.

Nice situation to be in, but,  it has taken me a long old while to become.. financially, 'self sufficient'...?

With that in mind,.. the best advice that I could ever give to anyone is,...Never work Cheap.....?

All the best, stay safe, and good trapping...regards, OldPhil?

PICT0006m.JPG

"Never work cheap",.......aye, i think thats probably one of the most important, bits of advice, overall.  i can imagine depending on the area & situation, competition factor, etc ,....it could be a 'fine line' whether you WANT to work, for only what you can get, in some instances ? ( i certainly decided too, on occasions in the past,..but i generally DONT recommend),.....thing i find regrettable, is folk catching moles , rabbits etc, FREE , for ' permission, etc ',....of course i understand it, & accept folk are entitled too, whatever approach, they decide ?,....but remember viewing, the trigger happy, self titled,  bunny bashers,...some 'bored landowners included' themselves offering (to the same 'ilk', often)  to make inroads into large infestations, etc,........dont tell me none o that is depriving , some professional, well capable , rabbit catching people, out of potential earnings, for example,........doesnt feel right at all, to me,....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

"Never work cheap",.......aye, i think thats probably one of the most important, bits of advice, overall.  i can imagine depending on the area & situation, competition factor, etc ,....it could be a 'fine line' whether you WANT to work, for only what you can get, in some instances ? ( i certainly decided too, on occasions in the past,..but i generally DONT recommend),.....thing i find regrettable, is folk catching moles , rabbits etc, FREE , for ' permission, etc ',....of course i understand it, & accept folk are entitled too, whatever approach, they decide ?,....but remember viewing, (via You tube) the trigger happy, self titled,  bunny bashers,...some 'bored landowners included' themselves offering a free service (to the same 'ilk', often)  to make inroads into large infestations, etc,........dont tell me none o that is depriving , some professional, well capable , rabbit catching people, out of potential earnings, for example,........doesnt feel right at all, to me,....

2 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

well, heard they are asking good prices, for any now ?,....they getting it ?   lol

I wouldn't know.........just seen a few advertised!

I agree on putting the prices up though what with the rise in cost of living etc. You have to put your price and stick to it.

• Like 1

Every situation is different. You can't compare prices or fees because some people have a lot of competition, others don't so can charge more. And people's overheads or situations differ. 

Regards doing it for a bit of shooting / ferreting / fishing, I don't see why that is a problem if it works for both parties. I don't see how that is different to people paying farmers to hunt rabbits on their land or shoot pigeons. I agree with Katchum in making the customer pay more if you are following someone else though.

I have two customers who I now don't charge a cent. Their situations changed to the worse and I just carry on for the price of a cup of coffee and a chat when I call. One's husband suffered a massive stroke and now needs expensive medical care. Another lost her husband about a year ago has and suffered a big financial loss. I suspended payments from another lady who's husband had been taken into a care home, but when he died and she was £4,000 a month better off, she paid the arrears and next year's payment, plus paid for me to start at her daughter's garden. Sometimes doing favours pays off.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Good going moorman ,got just over 80 on there , I got a place last year by a lake were I got over 200 , just had a look and there back again ,bit cold to live up there in the caravan at the minute so I will hold on a few weeks , ATB bobza