Using mole traps

14 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Or am I better delivering that, in good old 'Scottish Council scheme' patter ??,...& put it how I really want too ! ????

& really,  'you better pull your socks up' cause Jeff's not gonna stop (if i know him,..) so how you gonna campaign, etc, to counter all this ? ?

• Haha 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

100%. Theyll still be there when the rain stops! 

? As far as Trapping various critters goes,.. catching moles, sure ain't Rocket Science.... Some guys insist upon making the job, far harder than it is,.. I guess that is a kind of traditional mo

Took these this morning on a nearby estate.   

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

& really,  'you better pull your socks up' cause Jeff's not gonna stop (if i know him,..) so how you gonna campaign, etc, to counter all this ? ?

& it just seems contradictory, to me how you can be disparaging regards Jeff, overall (fair enough),  but want too 'sing the praises' for his traps, to the extent of publicly 'plugging' them on here ! ?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I don’t know a lot about the politics of these organisations, but I do know they are all up there own arses wankers out to make money, another tosser on fb now starting his own affiliation or whatever he wants to call, iv watched videos of the man trapping an he can’t trap shit, but thinks he is gonna start an organisation to keep everybody else right, well I say to Jeff, Kim and anybody else out there wanting folk to join there petty little clubs (an pay for it??) fcuk off an go learn your trade better ?

Aye Katchum,  I actually agree with you, overall, well said.

10 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My best pal went on jeffe course a few years ago, started a bit of milking an quit after a few months, I thought it a bit strange as the guy can catch pretty much anything else, never thought nowt else of it.

fast forward a few years an a family friend buys a wee bungalow down the old village part of our estate, starts getting mole problems an rabbits in garden, father in law asks me to sort the rabbits an whilst I’m at i offer to have a go at moles as they couldn’t find anybody, no promises made other

than me best efforts, for some traps off Clive on here an watched his videos an caught a few moles, Job done so I ask my pal why he stopped an he said it was too ‘hit an miss’ 

I hate not knowing how to do summat so got some more traps, all diff kinds an went out to play with them, ended up with a few good catch rate an went back to me pal an showed him what I had sussed out, he was amazed an said he never learnt anything like on his course haha 

so then I hear about another course, down in wales, I ask about an tsk to a few lads that been on it, speak to the guy who runs it, an think fcuk it, nip down whilst visiting family, pay my money, take my chances. An to say they course was an eye opener is an understatement, covered what I wanted, out in field, no sitting down unless it was on the quads going to next field. An a catch rate is never imagined over them 2’days, come home an the results are still speaking for themselves. My mate has started moling again after forgetting all he was taught on his course an now doing what he been shown by me.

the other guy the same, don’t think he offering courses yet but fcuk me when he does that will be a joke, I saw a video of the clown on Facebook other day bumming about his garden job results ffs haha it was the size of a snooker table an he had more than a handful of talpex down an wa sober moon he caught the mole in 3 days ??

some folk need to concentrate on getting better at summat before they call them selves masters, or start groups/clubs/gangs wanting to police others ??

What a lot of people don’t know is the lad in wales is the same guy that pest stop had tweaking their tunnels  after they were catching loads by their feet etc

he showed every one how to tweak them for free

had the pest stop team down to him for two days listening to what he said

now the pest stops a good trap

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Earth thrower can I ask what your beef with Paul Stanford is? Iv never met the lad but spoke to him a few times an dealt with him the same. I found the guy to very polite, great service, excellent traps, best prices around. I genuinely can’t fault the lad, an if it’s the courses he advertises your slating, then I suggest you maybe try one ? i bet you learn loads, no dig, but I know we all do things diff so will always be summmat to learn. I’d happily put my own trapping against anybody’s now iv been on the course an be very confident of me own catch rate, no matter the land ??

I was shown one time how to set traps then just got on with it done some big farms with more mole hills then grass an done good job happy farmer , was thinking of doing a mole trapping course but I think I  worked the game out , tunnel are my main trap I use when checking traps take bucket of talpax any back fill change tunnel to talpax works for me ?

23 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My best pal went on jeffe course a few years ago, started a bit of moling  an quit after a few months, I thought it a bit strange as the guy can catch pretty much anything else, never thought nowt else of it.

fast forward a few years an a family friend buys a wee bungalow down the old village part of our estate, starts getting mole problems an rabbits in garden, father in law asks me to sort the rabbits an whilst I’m at i offer to have a go at moles as they couldn’t find anybody, no promises made other than me best efforts, got some traps off Clive on here an watched his videos an caught a few moles, Job done so I ask my pal why he stopped an he said it was too ‘hit an miss’ 

I hate not knowing how to do summat so got some more traps, all diff kinds an went out to play with them, ended up with a good catch rate an went back to me pal an showed him what I had sussed out, he was amazed an said he never learnt anything like on his course haha 

so then I hear about another course, down in wales, I ask about an talk to a few lads that been on it, speak to the guy who runs it, an think fcuk it, nip down whilst visiting family, pay my money, take my chances. An to say they course was an eye opener is an understatement, covered what I wanted, out in field, no sitting down unless it was on the quads going to next field. An a catch rate id never imagined over them 2’days, come home an the results are still speaking for themselves. My mate has started moling again after forgetting all he was taught on his course an now doing what he been shown by me.

the other guy Kim the same, don’t think he offering courses yet but fcuk me when he does that will be a joke, I saw a video of the clown on Facebook other day bumming about his garden job results ffs haha it was the size of a snooker table an he had more than a handful of talpex down an was over moon he caught the mole in 3 days ??

some folk need to concentrate on getting better at summat before they call them selves masters, or start groups/clubs/gangs wanting to police others ??

Interesting reading, mate.

26 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Earth thrower can I ask what your beef with Paul Stanford is? Iv never met the lad but spoke to him a few times an dealt with him the same. I found the guy to very polite, great service, excellent traps, best prices around. I genuinely can’t fault the lad, an if it’s the courses he advertises your slating, then I suggest you maybe try one ? i bet you learn loads, no dig, but I know we all do things diff so will always be summmat to learn. I’d happily put my own trapping against anybody’s now iv been on the course an be very confident of me own catch rate, no matter the land ??

Nothing against him, bought traps from him, to try,....a didn't like the way, the game was going for a while there, etc  & took a 'strop' at whatever/whoever deeming factor,...I thought was contributing too it, etc,.....?,...am not proud of it, or saying I'm necessarily right about everything either,.......& let's face it, I realised    'you can't fight/beat the tide !!'   oh, so he's offering courses too, now, your saying ? 

Edited by earth-thrower
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

It’s the courses in wales I’m talking about, I think they are or will be advertised on Paul’s page at some point if no already, one thing I can say about Paul an alan who does the courses in wales is they not out to rob you like a lot of others, even the course, he don’t make no money off that, if he didn’t have me/you/who ever tagging along that day belive me he would earn a lot more out doing moles on his own ?  Paul’s prices speak for themselves

I get you,...

30 minutes ago, tilimangro said:

What a lot of people don’t know is the lad in wales is the same guy that pest stop had tweaking their tunnels  after they were catching loads by their feet etc

he showed every one how to tweak them for free

had the pest stop team down to him for two days listening to what he said

now the pest stops a good trap

Really ?...now that IS interesting,.....

• Like 1

Canny helping thinking, all this competitiveness, in the game, for whatever motivation ?.....its never really, abbaited,...& its not ideal , the ones who are MAINLY doing it for the, ££££s,......TOO many now,  thinking they know better, or getting 'one' up on others,...every c..t, an expert now !   ha ha ha

• Like 1

? As far as Trapping various critters goes,.. catching moles, sure ain't Rocket Science....

Some guys insist upon making the job, far harder than it is,.. I guess that is a kind of traditional mode of thinking..

I used to be the same, and refused offers from Pest Control Equipment Suppliers, to run a few courses for modern Pesters.

To me, it seemed a dumb fecking thing to do,...why educate, all and sundry (often competitors) when I was still heavily engaged in the trapping job myself. The paltry fee from the large companies would never cover the potential loss of earnings by schooling others ?

BUT,.. times have changed,...I have changed..?

Nowadays, I get a real kick out of helping genuine lads,...I like to see men make a success out of the job, be it Mole and Squirrel Trapping,. Rabbit Control, snaring, netting,.. schooling jukels,.. whatever..?

In my opinion,.. a novice needs to seek out a successful guy and learn from his,...mistakes....

Feck all to catching moles,. the hard job, the most difficult part,. the real awkward bit,.....is in getting paid..?

Stay safe now Brothers,. all the best, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? As far as Trapping various critters goes,.. catching moles, sure ain't Rocket Science....

Some guys insist upon making the job, far harder than it is,.. I guess that is a kind of traditional mode of thinking..

I used to be the same, and refused offers from Pest Control Equipment Suppliers, to run a few courses for modern Pesters.

To me, it seemed a dumb fecking thing to do,...why educate, all and sundry (often competitors) when I was still heavily engaged in the trapping job myself. The paltry fee from the large companies would never cover the potential loss of earnings by schooling others ?

Nowadays, I get a real kick out of helping genuine lads,...I like to see men make a success out of the job, be it Mole and Squirrel Trapping,. Rabbit Control, snaring, netting,.. schooling jukels,.. whatever..?

In my opinion,.. a novice needs to seek out a successful guy and learn from his,...mistakes....

Feck all to catching moles,. the hard job, the most difficult part,. the real awkward bit,.....is in getting paid..?

DSCF8487.JPG

Wise words as ever ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

DSCF8487.JPG

More 'wisdom' ,....well it can come with age ! ?,..absolutely no disrespect,....your 'posts' always seem too shine, here, Phil,....lol

5 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

Nothing against him, bought traps from him, to try,....a didn't like the way, the game was going for a while there, etc  & took a 'strop' at whatever/whoever deeming factor,...I thought was contributing too it, etc,.....?,...am not proud of it, or saying I'm necessarily right about everything either,.......& let's face it, I realised    'you can't stop the tide' !!!  oh, so he's offering courses too, now, your saying ? 

On 12/10/2021 at 11:51, tilimangro said:

Since Jeff a such an awesome dude explain why

why will 24 hour trap checking benefit us

why will only being allowed to use his traps help us

will putting heavy turf on top of barrels springs give humane catches

is it decent and fair to only give accreditation only when he receives a positive review(I believe this to blackmail quite frankly)

is it honest to demand  people buy his dibbers and paint rollers to do the course

lets start there

since you’ve used the putange and told me in pms that you were wrong about them and they’re a decent humane trap why is Jeff so keen to ban them

Why won’t Jeff let the public see his dvd on mole welfare and his attempt to get traps banned?

let’s start there

there are others running courses but they actually teach people how to catch moles

jeff doesnt

as an aside I am also self taught and been at it over thirty years

ive taught people(no charge) who’ve been on his courses and they knew next to nothing about how to catch them

"24 hour trap checking",...... isnt to benefit YOU   lol...its for the MOLE,..(well , according to Jeff ?),..obviously hes based this on if its 'foul caught', by a paw, end of abdomen, etc,...& potentially can be dispatched sooner ?,...(& im aware how this 'thinking' can be flawed,in practise, etc),....seems the olden day catchers could hang about waiting on the 'hazel wands' to spring up, & deal with the mole, quicker, etc,..(& its rumoured all traps were lifted at the end of the day,..),....TO ME,....checking traps daily was never bad practise anyway,.....& indeed walking back over set traps checking them,...before you move on, if you can, is good too. Attending them no later than next day,...also helps, as far as them getting nicked, & not just by 'two legged foxs' either,..(cause of reynard & brock, too) ,....& farmers & greenkeepers running over traps with machines, moving stock, etc,....all interfering with traps, the longer you cant get checking !,...also, say your in a garden situation,...& trap ( or traps ) are out for a mole or two,....& you get a  ' miss'  for whatever reason,.....so the mole potentially does more damage,...(more hills,up etc),..if you dont go next day, to address the situaton ?,...not ideal is it, for your clients ?,...same on the golf course,...& agricultural situations,...on drill, young grass, silage, etc ,...................................."only being allowed to use his traps",........according to him the half barrel design , coupled with increased spring strength, flatten the catching loop, moving the trigger towards the catching loops, etc,....which he introduced, helps ensure the most humane demise, of the mole in a catching device (eg trap),......& ive watched him explain in great detail, exactly the reasons, why !,........& it does seem plausable, what he reveals,......but im no expert on how a mole, expires in a trap, certainly,.........but, IM NOT opposed to anybody competently, using a genuine Putange or Talpex, for the job, personally,...........some other traps,.... without naming them, are highly suspect whether they are suitable , to ensure a swift end for old mole,..................................."putting heavy turf on barrel springs helps humane catches",........its not 'set in stone' how you set a trap,....& i dont use 'heavy turf', myself, to cover traps,......but i have sliced the grass top down thin, & replaced it as a lid, at the said ground level, (over a covering of soil),....to help disguise trap locations, in the odd situation, where it maynbe necessary (eg theft, interference),...& trap covering varies widely, from ive seen, half an inch of soil, to right up to ground level , & well above to form a molehill, above the said trap,...at that can be for a few reasons,.......Jeffs got his own reasons, i believe, for perhaps practising this, & its to do with conditions in the moles tunnel, below,....whatever influences from above can change things, etc & he wants the mole to trundle along , not noticing any changes to its underground environment etc, air pressure, water ingress, etc,........otherwise, he believes, this MAY be detrimental to a successful capture, at a given location.  Now the jurys out , on that one,...& i would suggest its up to the individual mole catcher, to make up his own mind, as regards his own experiences & methods, etc,..............................................

• Haha 1