Nearly useless!

I found a cell of squirrels in a wooded slang of beech, chestnut and oaks. I visit this slang come autumn every year. 

Anyway. I blasted 8 with a flinchlock but decided to take the hw99 today.

I shot 9 but boy the pellets I was using were garbage.  A superdome look alike that simply would not kill them swiftly! I never liked superdomes in 22 when they came out and I was unpleasantly reminded why today!

Anyway my 22rimfire is getting little use. I was wondering what non pcp fac air options are available? Especially in .25.

Without going into to much detail I can say that I was mighty impressed by a .25 springer once and its definitive authority!

What say yee?

20210930_123838.jpg.cf8ab89494ee04993ad984a2d0084b7d.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I found a cell of squirrels in a wooded slang of beech, chestnut and oaks. I visit this slang come autumn every year. 

I shot 9 but boy the pellets I was using were garbage.  A superdome look alike that simply would not kill them swiftly! I never liked superdomes in 22 when they came out and I was unpleasantly reminded why today!

Anyway my 22rimfire is getting little use. I was wondering what non pcp fac air options are available? Especially in .25.

Without going into to much detail I can say that I was mighty impressed by a .25 springer once and its definitive authority!

What say yee?

Theoben eliminator .25, can be had for relatively little money. Good build quality and run nicely when reduced to about 25ft lb. I know someone who had one, and someone else who had one in .22, the .22 was best at about 20ft lb.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Theoben eliminator .25, can be had for relatively little money. Good build quality and run nicely when reduced to about 25ft lb. I know someone who had one, and someone else who had one in .22, the .22 was best at about 20ft lb.

I have shot one of these and didn't like it at all. It weighed heavy, especially if being carried a distance. Cocking it was like a bull worker and the recoil horrendous. I was glad to hand it back. Granted i don't know what sort of power it was running but a lot of work would need to be done for me to even remotely consider one. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ianm said:

I have shot one of these and didn't like it at all. It weighed heavy, especially if being carried a distance. Cocking it was like a bull worker and the recoil horrendous. I was glad to hand it back. Granted i don't know what sort of power it was running but a lot of work would need to be done for me to even remotely consider one. 

Bleddy noodle arms?

seriously though, it was probably running at full chat (about 30ft lbs) and at that I admit they’re harsh. As for carrying, no problem with a sling, the cocking and firing cycles are much nicer when the ram pressure is dropped to the levels I mentioned.

• Haha 2

There’s also the Webley patriot, but I’ve read that they need detuning from factory setting of 30ft lb due to being harsh and nasty. Again, 20ft lbs seems to be about as high as they run smoothly. HW80 is similar and easy to upgrade from 12ft lbs, but resale value of an fac HW80 is going to be low I’d think. Not a lot of choice, but to make worthwhile fac power they’re going to be relatively big and heavy, no getting away from that. One thing about the eliminator is the ease of power adjustment compared to the spring powered rifles. If you have a pump you can fine tune them to their sweet spot quite easily. If you don’t have a pump it’s still easy to reduce the pressure by small amounts at a time until they feel like they’re shooting nicely. 

• Like 2
Just now, Sausagedog said:

Can one buy a sub 12 80. Get a slot on the licence and then ramp it up and enter it on the licence?

Yes, but it’ll lose value. If you do, I know what’s required to get them running nicely at 18-20ft lb in .22, they are available in .25 but it’s special order from hull cartridge. I saw one in a gun shop a couple of years ago, it was only about £100 if I remember label said HW80 fac. It’s a buyers market for these things used.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I shot 9 but boy the pellets I was using were garbage.  A superdome look alike that simply would not kill them swiftly! I never liked superdomes in 22 

What say yee?

I know that dog.!  I've seen it somewhere before.   The woman  next door has a clone of it.  The muttly howls like a  coyote when she goes out and leaves it behind. I'd go rouñd and teĺ her she was a bad person for causing the dog anguish but it would go strait over her head. Scatty as a box of frogs she is. ????

Edited by Meece
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2021 at 18:50, Sausagedog said:

Can one buy a sub 12 80. Get a slot on the licence and then ramp it up and enter it on the licence?

Yes but you can never turn it down again. Once converted to FAC an air rifle must remain FAC.

Peersonally I'd go pre-charged but from your post I'm guessing the issue is how much you want to spend.

The AGT Urgan has just had a very good review. It's not cheap but cheaper than an FX. Base rifle is about £1500. Video review here: