Which gundog

On 14/05/2022 at 19:04, Moorman 1 said:

I've never trained a lab but have trained a few spaniels. I wouldn't say any different from the Spaniels that I have trained, they seem to absorb the training quickly. I think that they are much more versatile than labs or Spaniels. They seem to be able to master a variety of tasks.

As you have never trained a Labrador I would be interested to know why you think a pointer would be more versatile. I think you are wrong by the way, I have never seen a pointer used as a blind dog or drugs dog or a variety of tasks Labradors undertake.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ianm said:

As you have never trained a Labrador I would be interested to know why you think a pointer would be more versatile. I think you are wrong by the way, I have never seen a pointer used as a blind dog or drugs dog or a variety of tasks Labradors undertake.

We are talking gun work/hunting etc, the GWP is the most versatile HPR breed out there. What does a lab do ? retrieve,. Well I know people that use GWP's for falconry, hunting pointing and retrieving, find game. Also wild fowling, working as vermin locating dogs marking foxes. Retrieving shot game ,deer stalking, wild boar hunting, lamping, ferreting etc etc. The list is endless. Labs are versatile but they can't point. 

I know Tiercel used to swear by the two GWP he had through the years and used them for shooting ferreting and working nets etc. Only thing that put me off them is I get the feeling they are not a beginners dog. So I would probably cock it up and I think one you didn't have a handle on could be a pain. Saying that I have never been around one 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

I’m with Terry’d on this one. Since 1984 I have had a succession of labradors and springer spaniels. Versatile doesn’t even begin to tell the story. Both breeds have done absolutely everything for me. I can’t comment on the pointers as have never gone down that road. I can honestly say that all my dogs had the ability to point whether it was live, wounded or dead. Jok.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

We are talking gun work/hunting etc, the GWP is the most versatile HPR breed out there. What does a lab do ? retrieve,. Well I know people that use GWP's for falconry, hunting pointing and retrieving, find game. Also wild fowling, working as vermin locating dogs marking foxes. Retrieving shot game ,deer stalking, wild boar hunting, lamping, ferreting etc etc. The list is endless. Labs are versatile but they can't point. 

Well no actually we aren't just talking about gun work/hunting, we are talking about the versatility of different breeds. Labs are far more than just retrievers in the same way gwps will do a bit more than point. I have never tried it because i have never needed to but i wouldn't be surprised if i could get a lab to point. I have had lurchers that would point in the past so i doubt it would be too difficult for a lab to do. I am in two wildfowling clubs and i don't know of anyone with a gwp, i wonder why that is? In fact the only bloke i know that had one used it for marking game for his goshawks, which is what i suppose they are bred for.    

6 hours ago, terryd said:

I know Tiercel used to swear by the two GWP he had through the years and used them for shooting ferreting and working nets etc. Only thing that put me off them is I get the feeling they are not a beginners dog. So I would probably cock it up and I think one you didn't have a handle on could be a pain. Saying that I have never been around one 

Your right there Terry they can be difficult as they are head strong but at the same time sensitive!

2 hours ago, ianm said:

Well no actually we aren't just talking about gun work/hunting, we are talking about the versatility of different breeds. Labs are far more than just retrievers in the same way gwps will do a bit more than point. I have never tried it because i have never needed to but i wouldn't be surprised if i could get a lab to point. I have had lurchers that would point in the past so i doubt it would be too difficult for a lab to do. I am in two wildfowling clubs and i don't know of anyone with a gwp, i wonder why that is? In fact the only bloke i know that had one used it for marking game for his goshawks, which is what i suppose they are bred for.    

Well actually as this is a hunting forum I am just talking about the work that they are bred for i.e a Labrador is I think bred for retrieving. I was talking about versatility in the respect of the purposes that they are bred to do. You probably could get a lab to point as I could probably get a lurcher to herd sheep, but why bother when there are dogs that are bred for the purpose. I know wildfowlers that use GWP's, and they do the job very well. Honestly I'm not disrespecting the Labrador I know of some very good ones but most won't do all the tasks to the same degree as a good GWP, they have a huge amount of drive. Anyone that has seen a good one will agree with me. I'm not comparing the two breeds as to me they are totally different animals and used for very different purposes.

On 02/07/2022 at 12:15, ianm said:

Ian as you have never trained a GWP how can you begin to understand their versatility and mindset, let alone their capabilities of mastering different skills. It's quite normal these days for everyone to think that their chosen breeds excels above all others. The Gwp is bred to be a multi task animal and as I understand it the Lab is originally a retriever. They are an easily trained breed that can be put to good use outside the hunting field, hearing dogs for the deaf, guide dogs for the blind even selling toilet rolls lol, the last comment was meant as a joke by the way. Each to their own but after using GWP's myself I wouldn't want any other breed for what I use them for.

• 3 weeks later...