Which gundog

I've had dogs and bred dogs for years, but never working dogs. I now want a gun dog for retrieving but that also has a good nose for deer stalking. Will any gundog retreiver, hound, or spaniel do? How did you pick your chosen breed out of the many?

1 hour ago, Netmaker said:

You wont go far wrong with a pointer lab spaniel or a mix of any of these 

I love the GSP but read that they can have issues with separation anxiety when left alone due to their bond with the owner? I know any dog could devop this but it seems from what I hear it can be a more likely issue with them?

your right any dog can suffer from separation anxiety I have labs and the old dog I had suffered from it which was a ball ache if we wanted to go away but my wife's auntie took her one time and she said she was know bother and that is where I retired to live of riley she lives now

2 hours ago, Stone14 said:

I love the GSP but read that they can have issues with separation anxiety when left alone due to their bond with the owner? I know any dog could devop this but it seems from what I hear it can be a more likely issue with them?

what about the gwp  , there different mind set than the smooth  , from what few people say, tougher type dog , and make good watch dog as well .

• Like 4

What do you want it to do? How often? What mix will it be used for retrieving (I assume shot game?) vs following up shot deer? 

To be honest I’d do yourself a favour and just get a decent bred Labrador. 

For a first gundog you can’t go wrong, they can turn their hand to most jobs easily enough. 

Those pointer breeds can be a nightmare and a spaniel isn’t the most suited dog for sitting calmly and then trailing up a shot deer, although many can do it. 

A Labrador will just make things a lot easier. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What do you want it to do? How often? What mix will it be used for retrieving (I assume shot game?) vs following up shot deer? 

To be honest I’d do yourself a favour and just get a decent bred Labrador. 

For a first gundog you can’t go wrong, they can turn their hand to most jobs easily enough. 

Those pointer breeds can be a nightmare and a spaniel isn’t the most suited dog for sitting calmly and then trailing up a shot deer, although many can do it. 

A Labrador will just make things a lot easier. 

Yeah I'm thinking a nice black lab.

• 7 months later...
On 30/09/2021 at 16:16, bird said:

what about the gwp  , there different mind set than the smooth  , from what few people say, tougher type dog , and make good watch dog as well .

My pals father has one  he’s retired now. Versatile dog for and would even deal we old Charlie 

You won't go wrong with a GWP it ticks all the boxes for everything that you require. They are the most versatile of all the HPR breeds and would excel at the gundog duties as well as the stalking requirements.

• Like 2
On 11/05/2022 at 20:54, Moorman 1 said:

You won't go wrong with a GWP it ticks all the boxes for everything that you require. They are the most versatile of all the HPR breeds and would excel at the gundog duties as well as the stalking requirements.

How long does it take to train pointers to a good standard compared with labs or spaniels,wf

10 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

How long does it take to train pointers to a good standard compared with labs or spaniels,wf

I've never trained a lab but have trained a few spaniels. I wouldn't say any different from the Spaniels that I have trained, they seem to absorb the training quickly. I think that they are much more versatile than labs or Spaniels. They seem to be able to master a variety of tasks.

• 1 month later...

There is an old saying “ Labradors are born half trained and spaniels die half trained “. I have labs and they are extremely versatile, they will sit in a pigeon hide, swim in open water wildfowling, sit on a peg game shooting or track shot foxes for me to name just a fraction of their versatility.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ianm said:

There is an old saying “ Labradors are born half trained and spaniels die half trained “. I have labs and they are extremely versatile, they will sit in a pigeon hide, swim in open water wildfowling, sit on a peg game shooting or track shot foxes for me to name just a fraction of their versatility.

you are absolutely right i use mine for must of the above and also ferreting they mark and watch the nets as well as any running dog or terrier

• Like 1