Base NV90 night vision

Here is a first impressions review of the NV90 which my buddy bought and dropped in for me to play with to see if I like it before placing an order myself.  The rain is coming down at present so I am not sure if we will be able to take it out to try tonight but if we do, I will post the outcome.

Out of the box, you cannot help but to be impressed with what you get for the £150---- NV90,  7sets of hard spacer shims,  a spare battery cover/knob,  charge lead,  rubber eye piece,  micro SD card and an allen key.  

DSCF3772.JPG

The NV90 is extremely compact to the point that I had no discomfort whatsoever with head position when the NV90 was fitted, that was a big surprise as I expected it to need the scope moving forward in order to be comfortable.  For someone who doubted the ease to transfer from gun to gun was another surprise, two allen bolts and a few seconds and the fixing ring was off.  This, like other add-ons can be used as a spotter as it has from 1.0 - 4.0x magnification but it must be said that all digital magnification systems on cameras / nv units etc will reduce image quality.

Talking of image quality, I have used NiteSite nv units for a number of years so I am very used to the image quality that I get with them, which is pretty good,  now comparing this NV90, with the pixelated image is nowhere near as good but that is something I would need to get used to.  The reticle image is soft but usable although I reserve judgement until after we have had a night time session. I will say however my illuminated reticle shows up well so that may improve the image of the reticle if needed.  The IR and NV90 run on a single 18650 battery so by having one or two in your pocket as a standby, you should get many hours run time, the time listed in the manual is 8hr without the IR being switched on but no times stated with IR on so time will tell but at least we are talking a few quid for spare batteries so no big deal.

Something I was really impressed with was the method used to remove and refit the nv with the fixing ring. As the fitting ring is locked in place with two allen bolts, a quarter turn of the NV90 whilst holding down a little button was quick and easy but even better to me was when refitting the unit a satisfactory 'click' was heard to show the unit is firmly in place.  Before any of you say that click will frighten off the quarry,  in truth, I don't know but I seriously doubt it as it is not loud.

I am not wildly happy with electronic gizmos while out night shooting or daytime for that matter BUT this is both quick and easy to operate and for most of the time not needed.  The unit has a sleep mode as do others but this one is one touch of the power button to put it (including the IR) to sleep and one touch to wake it up again but unlike some, the NV90 is immediate in response.

I am no expert with this system having only played around for a while today and a little last night in the garden whilst dodging the rain spots but it looks good value for money but of course I am a NiteSite user and only had a tiny experience with a Pard 007 add-on so I am not really qualified to say how good this is compared to other similar systems although I by far preferred it to the 007 which we found moved slightly on the scope causing point of impact to vary, nevertheless I do like what I have seen so far and look forward to trying out on the bunnies tonight if the rain clears up.

Here are a few other shots of the NV90

DSCF3769.JPG

DSCF3770.JPG

DSCF3774.JPG

DSCF3778.JPG

DSCF3781.JPG

DSCF3777.JPG

DSCF3782.JPG

Next installment to follow with any luck very soon.

Phil

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

45mm but the details are here DB  

Last night my buddy and myself went to try the 007a as the 007s was going to be a wish list product BUT we found the unit was anything but ideal with sharp centre image which was about 20% of the scre

John Wayne shooting from the hip ?

Posted Images

Sounds like a pard 

I think you find the point of impact on the pard would not change , as you only looking at  The scope reticle, doesn’t matter if it did move 

Nice write up on the nv90 Phil , can’t wait for part two , night time ??

• Like 1

Pity Optics warehouse have sold the lot but more will be in stock for Xmas,  Had mine a while now and at the moment it does what it says on the box,   Mine also came with battery and 32g card as well,  The best thing is that it only puts around 40mm on the scope without the rubber eye cup due to the prism method of viewing so is more manageable.  I dont use the eye cups on anything at all as i sometimes wear glasses.  Was a bit doubtful of the prism lens for fogging or misting in the rain as there is no easy way to clean it at a quick glance but not had a problem with it at all...    Its a little focus fussy used as a spotter as the dials are stiff but its new and no different to other models and once set for your scope you dont have to fiddle with them,, The ir has 3 settings and just as good as the pard,                                                                                 Zoom goes up in increments of .1   ie 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4  etc  up to x4.        For £150  beer tokens you cant go wrong.    A good affordable add on unit which is very sturdy.     I use the pards on everything but I am certainly glad I bought the Base nv90 to add to the nv stuff.      

• Like 1

Part two

We took the NV90 to a small perm to test it and compare with a Nitesite and a 007 with huge differences. The image quality of the NV90 is utter shite, very low contrast and extremely grainy pixelated image. We did see a rabbit about 25mt but never saw the second one 8 feet away until we looked throgh the Nitesite and 007. Mu old Nitesite was 1000% better image. I seriously doubt if you could even see a rabbit at 50 - 85mt other than the eye shine.

I didn't like the fact that each time the unit is switched on from the start, it automatically went into colour mode and 2.0x magnification which needed to be changed as the IR will not work in colour. I will be speaking to Optics Warehouse just to check if we missed anything but I doubt it and this unit will be going back.  A small last point was the fact that no battery was included with the NV90 yet it is stated that one is in the box.

We are very disappointed in the Base NV90 and needless to say I will not be placing an order.

Phil

I was gona say there utter pants but didn't want to get jumped on Ian has had the two pard copy 007 and 008 sytong and when I looked through them they were big dissapointment Ian has got one of them base n90 and although I have never looked through it he said it was worse than sytong which I thought you could never get any worse

Mitch, I know how much you hate the NiteSite but I swear to you that it blew the socks off the NV90 and please believe me that I really wanted this to work. I did not expect it to be on a par with some of the more expensive units BUT this simply doesn't compare.  I really like the things already pointed out like the locking adaptor ring and the fact that I was able to shoot with or without the nv on and not move the scope was a huge bonus.

I have just spoken to James at Optics Warehouse, nice guy and as he said we may well have got a bad one after all, there will always be the odd one that doesn't meet the requirements of the job in hand.  This will be going back and it is upto my friend if he wants a replacement or refund, as for me, well I hope he settles for a replacement so we can try again.

I have just looked at the  Commander  NV100 but the body is 1.5'' longer than the NV90 so the scope would have to move and the adapter ring is nowhere near as good however on the youtube I have just watched, the image quality is far far far better than the NV90 on the various films I have just seen both day and night whreas during day light the NV90 is fecking rubbish with bleached out image.  My buddy has just picked up the new Pard 007 himself yesterday to test and compare to this NV90 although from what has just been said it may not be so great.

Phil

• Like 1
2 hours ago, villaman said:

Did you have the ir on and focused 

Yes of course, I am not completely dim Mitch.  When you have a reticle so soft and a very very bad grainy and pixelated image, you are on a hiding to nothing from the outset.

• Haha 1

No Phil , some are saying they are great for the money and others are saying completely shit , all depends on what they are comparing them on . 
Didn’t  hold up much chance on them at that price . 
Newer pards are shit with the inbuilt IR, but good with a decent after market IR