Nice Muntjac

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t often shoot these , but he was on the border of the shoot and I haven’t seen him before. So before he disappeared or someone else shot him. He is now in the chiller. I reckon he will  medal .

I nicked another one this morning. Nothing like the first . I just thought I’d make it worth putting the chiller on . 

CWD don’t eat too bad either

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, hambone said:

You will regret chilling before skinning?.  Good eating there. ?

I’m not skinning.???I’ve got a Welsh chap has most of my deer . There is simply no money in venison at the moment. So he takes 3 and the estate gets 2 back as joints and sausages and burgers. But I reckon it’s more like 50/50 , he’s no fool . I think he’s supplied most of the BBQs in the valleys this summer. ???

• Like 1
On 29/09/2021 at 11:32, shovel leaner said:

I don’t often shoot these , but he was on the border of the shoot and I haven’t seen him before. So before he disappeared or someone else shot him. He is now in the chiller. I reckon he will  medal .

8DF67188-7582-49F9-A8A6-37A813202D0B.jpeg

1B249DC0-DB65-4776-8BC8-402461D7B3E1.jpeg

Nice size mate ?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Lovely!

How come you don't get into them much mate? Most folks seem to leather them unless they are managing them for the stalking.

We're all so used to them but aren't they odd looking little things when you think about it.

Almost as odd looking as a Dik-dik. 

• Like 2
On 07/10/2021 at 09:11, Born Hunter said:

Lovely!

How come you don't get into them much mate? Most folks seem to leather them unless they are managing them for the stalking.

We're all so used to them but aren't they odd looking little things when you think about it.

TBH , Unless someone asks for one or it’s a medal and a (client/friend) wants it , I find them too much work . I tend to be busy , and I know once I flatten one , it’s 1/2 an hour gone out of the day , for little return. I will also shoot one if one of the estate tenants complains about the noise , because they can make a racket and keep you up at night .???
        If I’m going to put the chiller on , I’d rather it was for a more substantial beast . But curiosity got the better of me this time . I know Bill Johnson who measures for Basc , I’ll get it to him and see what he says . 
            You are right , they are weird looking things . ?

18 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

TBH , Unless someone asks for one or it’s a medal and a (client/friend) wants it , I find them too much work . I tend to be busy , and I know once I flatten one , it’s 1/2 an hour gone out of the day , for little return. I will also shoot one if one of the estate tenants complains about the noise , because they can make a racket and keep you up at night .???
        If I’m going to put the chiller on , I’d rather it was for a more substantial beast . But curiosity got the better of me this time . I know Bill Johnson who measures for Basc , I’ll get it to him and see what he says . 
            You are right , they are weird looking things . ?

I get that mate. My mate wouldn’t bother with roe for the same reason.

I suppose I meant they seem to have a reputation as being vermin and get hammered for it. I’ve never had access to an area where they are anything other than scarce.

On 08/10/2021 at 20:51, Born Hunter said:

I get that mate. My mate wouldn’t bother with roe for the same reason.

I suppose I meant they seem to have a reputation as being vermin and get hammered for it. I’ve never had access to an area where they are anything other than scarce.

The forestry guys here hate them , they do a lot of low level browse damage .

Here’s a funny tale that happened a couple of years ago . A stalker mate of mine who has a building business was doing some work on a house for a couple of “ Artist / vegan “ types. They had created this fantastic garden and spent a small fortune on the plants . But a muntjac was eating them , they asked my friend what to do and he suggested deer fencing, thinking there is no way they would go for him shooting it . But they said they wanted other wildlife to visit , like badgers and foxes , so could he shoot it . So he was sat up on the scaffolding at last light and shot it , and they were over the moon.

I must be in a minority of people who find them a charming and interesting animal.          

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 3