3 hours ago, shaaark said:

Do the these 99's still have the gauling issue?

Been on the verge of buying one on several occasions, the last few years, but when I look at reviews, people are still having this issue?!

I bought mine a week ago and hammered it every night on second tin of pellets I can’t notice any gauling. I grabbed some cheap Wembley pellets yesterday for £7 as the only place real close is moles and all they had In .177 they seem to shoot as well as the field Diablo I went through so doesn’t seem fussy either

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roughhunt88 said:

I bought mine a week ago and hammered it every night on second tin of pellets I can’t notice any gauling. I grabbed some cheap Wembley pellets yesterday for £7 as the only place real close is moles and all they had In .177 they seem to shoot as well as the field Diablo I went through so doesn’t seem fussy either

Thanks for that as well, mate.  It's looking more promising.  Can't remember what forums and reviews I read this gauling issue on, but it put me off quite a bit.  Did read the issue was supposed to have been sorted, a couple of years ago, but read about the gauling still happening to a couple of fellas, about 10-11 months ago.  Not really looked since then.

Thanks again, ?

Oh yeah, and, if I remember this right, the gauling would be noticeable after about 40-50 shots? 

Apparently not, if you gave it some fairly frequent welly!  Lol. ?

40 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Thanks for that as well, mate.  It's looking more promising.  Can't remember what forums and reviews I read this gauling issue on, but it put me off quite a bit.  Did read the issue was supposed to have been sorted, a couple of years ago, but read about the gauling still happening to a couple of fellas, about 10-11 months ago.  Not really looked since then.

Thanks again, ?

Oh yeah, and, if I remember this right, the gauling would be noticeable after about 40-50 shots? 

Apparently not, if you gave it some fairly frequent welly!  Lol. ?

I haven’t had it apart so I can’t say what’s really happening inside but I’ve read lots about these as well only reason I’m inclined to have in tuned. Atb

• Like 1

Yes they still suffer from the famous 99 problem . You might be lucky to have one which doesn’t 

still worth buying one though , great light weight gun and very accurate as well in .177 or .22 plus a easy fix if it starts gauling 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Roughhunt88 said:

I’ve been having a think and not sure I’m comfortable messing with it myself and as it’s a .177 I’d rather someone has a go that knows what their doing with it, Don’t want nothing mad doing just a clean/tune to standard that is needed so it will last and perform well. The more I use it the more I can notice the twang don’t get me wrong I’m not looking for a pcp otherwise I would have bought one just think it could be smoother so I’m going to do abit of research and see if I can find some one.. the closest to me looks like air- fective has anyone had any work done by them? Or is there anyone in the Berkshire/Hampshire area that can fettle springers? Any info be great

If you really don't want to do it yourself then a guy called shauny on airgun forum is your man. 

• Like 1

Abit of advice please? I’ve watched loads of videos on stripping down the 99 and I feel happy to strip it but not so sure I would like to tune it so the question is if I strip it down clean it and polish it myself and by some bum slide then re install it back to original will it make much of a difference? Is there anything else I can do as in lubing oiling while it’s apart to make it better? While there I’ll remove spring from plastic in cocking arm and free up knuckle abit and see if it’s rubbing anywhere sand we’re appropriate, am I right in thinking this will stop any future gauling? Any advice be great

• 4 weeks later...

Little update on the 99, so I stripped it down and gave it a clean and relube just to see if I could all went well but still quite abit of twang. So it’s now currently in bits and I’ve polished piston, spring ends and polished ears on end of cocking arm, removed spring from delrin in cocking arm and sanded it where needed, ive ordered a tbt kit so just waiting on that not sure how long they take but hopefully early next week. A guy on fb talked me through the whole process I’ve even managed to tweak the trigger so all in all if kit fits with not to much bother it was a lot easier than I thought and cost abit less.. I’ll update once guides are in and it’s re assembled 

• Like 3

Got it back together it’s like a different gun, I can balance a pellet on top it won’t fall of when fired, recoil is a totally different feel now still there but hardly and it doesn’t jump like before, no twang at all just a sharp thud firing cycle feels a lot better a Great kit that was easy to fit bit of sanding the guide and took 10mm of so fit perfect. the tweaks to trigger makes a massive difference as well I just set back the first stage and got rid of creap it cracks now, I used a smear of molly on spring and piston then I used dry moly spray in cylinder pleased with the end result,  I may need to sand the delrin down another bit as I think it’s touching just slightly but I’m going to have a blast at the weekend before Open it again 

Edited by Roughhunt88
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Roughhunt88 said:

Got it back together it’s like a different gun, I can balance a pellet on top it won’t fall of when fired, recoil is a totally different feel now still there but hardly and it doesn’t jump like before, no twang at all just a sharp thud firing cycle feels a lot better a Great kit that was easy to fit bit of sanding the guide and took 10mm of so fit perfect. the tweaks to trigger makes a massive difference as well I just set back the first stage and got rid of creap it cracks now, I used a smear of molly on spring and piston then I used dry moly spray in chamber pleased with the end result,  I may need to sand the delrin down another bit as I think it’s touching just slightly but I’m going to have a blast at the weekend before Open it again 

Nice one fella, I took mine out today, just had a plink with it for a bit of practice shooting some small crab apples, and shredded a tin can just for fun. Lovely little rifles when they’re nicely tuned?? I used h&n pellets as well, ftt’s no less.......?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

Nice one fella, I took mine out today, just had a plink with it for a bit of practice shooting some small crab apples, and shredded a tin can just for fun. Lovely little rifles when they’re nicely tuned?? I used h&n pellets as well, ftt’s no less.......?

Yeah itching to get it out and see what it’s like I also have a new scope a lot lighter and smaller than the hawke and seems to suit it better will see how it goes. Atb

FC9B3E0A-5B02-42DC-86DE-60A44EF809CD.jpeg

• Like 1