I recently bought a new hw99s in .177 first air rifle in years, I’ve had brake barrel and pcp in the past but sold them all years ago after going to a local shop holding the 99s it felt right so I bought it there n then mounted it with a hawke 3-9x40 scope and  away I went, I have no complaints after putting a Tin of pellets through it very accurate little kick but I like it. Now I been doing abit of research and I see they can be better with a little clean fine tune and can last longer if tuned now I don’t no where to start and wouldn’t want to do this myself, can anyone point me in the right direction? I had read they may be better in .22 but I’ve always had .177 I’m just looking for the best person to give it a clean and light tune sort any problems from occurring in the future. Any info be great, cheers

10 minutes ago, Roughhunt88 said:

I recently bought a new hw99s in .177 first air rifle in years, I’ve had brake barrel and pcp in the past but sold them all years ago after going to a local shop holding the 99s it felt right so I bought it there n then mounted it with a hawke 3-9x40 scope and  away I went, I have no complaints after putting a Tin of pellets through it very accurate little kick but I like it. Now I been doing abit of research and I see they can be better with a little clean fine tune and can last longer if tuned now I don’t no where to start and wouldn’t want to do this myself, can anyone point me in the right direction? I had read they may be better in .22 but I’ve always had .177 I’m just looking for the best person to give it a clean and light tune sort any problems from occurring in the future. Any info be great, cheers

Nice choice so easy to diy strip yourself. Get some TBT spring guides  polish cocking slot and piston clean it all out with ipa lube piston with TBT bumslide and watch this. .. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, SKoT wolf said:

I bought one few month back and it was pretty rough. Lot of recoil. Deffo reccomend a polish and relube and maybe a 'tuning kit'

6 minutes ago, SKoT wolf said:

I bought one few month back and it was pretty rough. Lot of recoil. Deffo reccomend a polish and relube and maybe a 'tuning kit'

I have nothing to compare it to except my boys gamo junior so it does kick compared to that, I’m happy with it out the box but if a little polish ect can make it last longer and perform better then why not I geuss

25 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Nice choice so easy to diy strip yourself. Get some TBT spring guides  polish cocking slot and piston clean it all out with ipa lube piston with TBT bumslide and watch this. .. 

Thanks for that, I’ve never took any of my previous rifles apart but watching video it looks pretty straight forward. Are spring guides easy to fit? And would I need to do anything else to get the best out of it would the spring guides and polish and bum slide do the trick or would I have to add or change anything else? 

21 minutes ago, Roughhunt88 said:

I have nothing to compare it to except my boys gamo junior so it does kick compared to that, I’m happy with it out the box but if a little polish ect can make it last longer and perform better then why not I geuss

I got a pro sport new a couple months back, 725 quid... and its 'twangy' straight out of the box. Dont get me wrong, its really consistent and very accurate straight out of the box... but i think a tuning kit could improve it. A tighter fitting spring guide and maybe a piston sleeve or a top hat could probably eliminate the rattling twangy noises. And maybe dampen the recoil a bit. Its not exactly kicking like a donkey but i think it could be lightened a bit. 

Open the 99 up and see if there are a few rough edges you could make a bit better.

My 99 was reallllly harsh but it sill shot accurately if i did my bit ?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, SKoT wolf said:

I got a pro sport new a couple months back, 725 quid... and its 'twangy' straight out of the box. Dont get me wrong, its really consistent and very accurate straight out of the box... but i think a tuning kit could improve it. A tighter fitting spring guide and maybe a piston sleeve or a top hat could probably eliminate the rattling twangy noises. And maybe dampen the recoil a bit. Its not exactly kicking like a donkey but i think it could be lightened a bit. 

Open the 99 up and see if there are a few rough edges you could make a bit better.

My 99 was reallllly harsh but it sill shot accurately if i did my bit ?

I’ll order a kit and go for it sometimes you got to run before you can walk ??

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Roughhunt88 said:

Thanks for that, I’ve never took any of my previous rifles apart but watching video it looks pretty straight forward. Are spring guides easy to fit? And would I need to do anything else to get the best out of it would the spring guides and polish and bum slide do the trick or would I have to add or change anything else? 

Sorry I just seen this.... iv been really happy with the tbt kits in the few hw99,s iv had (all been .22) .The bumslide is fantastic stuff - it beds in to feel really silky. I'm fairly sure you can post the spring and get the tbt guides fitted exactly to your spring, he is a really helpful bloke. The guides just slide into the spring. It's also worth polishing the ends of the spring too. The strip down of a hw99 is so easy you will have no bother. It's a really nice easy rewarding little project.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Do the these 99's still have the gauling issue?

Been on the verge of buying one on several occasions, the last few years, but when I look at reviews, people are still having this issue?!

I bought mine a few years ago, when they started fitting the new style stock and cocking lever insert. I’ve never removed the spring from the insert in mine and I’ve never experienced the gauling issue. I have polished all the moving parts and fitted a v-mach kit however. I’d say it’s one of the best break barrel air rifles I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned more than a few. Mine is .22, I haven’t tried one in .177 but as I understand it, the .22’s shoot smoother. I was so impressed with it that I bought a cs700 from Custom stocks Sheffield.

25332C52-BF9B-43B0-A666-1DF267F3ED85.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I bought mine a few years ago, when they started fitting the new style stock and cocking lever insert. I’ve never removed the spring from the insert in mine and I’ve never experienced the gauling issue. I have polished all the moving parts and fitted a v-mach kit however. I’d say it’s one of the best break barrel air rifles I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned more than a few. Mine is .22, I haven’t tried one in .177 but as I understand it, the .22’s shoot smoother. I was so impressed with it that I bought a cs700 from Custom stocks Sheffield.

25332C52-BF9B-43B0-A666-1DF267F3ED85.jpeg

Thanks for that, mate.  Maybe a chat with my local rfd is in order. ?

I’ve been having a think and not sure I’m comfortable messing with it myself and as it’s a .177 I’d rather someone has a go that knows what their doing with it, Don’t want nothing mad doing just a clean/tune to standard that is needed so it will last and perform well. The more I use it the more I can notice the twang don’t get me wrong I’m not looking for a pcp otherwise I would have bought one just think it could be smoother so I’m going to do abit of research and see if I can find some one.. the closest to me looks like air- fective has anyone had any work done by them? Or is there anyone in the Berkshire/Hampshire area that can fettle springers? Any info be great