.177hmr v .22lr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im not keen at headshots on fox  with the hmr personally. The rounds not penetrative enough and can splash if the shot isn’t int 100%. A wobble or the fox moves slightly and you’ve got a yelping fox r

I was out the other evening with my .17 hmr and I had just shot a rabbit in the head at about 110/120 yards I have a pic but it’s a bit OTT perfect shot I was happy, but whilst skinning and gutting it

Personally i would forget all about rimfires and foxes, the two should never be mentioned in the same sentence. I don't understand all this "you won't get c/f on first application". That is so wr

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Deker said:

This is a school job from a while back, all with HMR, I did another College job last week and took out 5 foxes, 4 with my HMR and 1 with my WMR, I often take them with my .22LR as well.  I have never done a Domestic fox or school/college job yet where I needed a centrefire!  Tools for the job, and rimfires are commonly the tools for the job on foxes for me, over the years I have taken far more foxes with rimfires than centrefires.  Of course there are other jobs where the rimfires are not starters, but again, tools for the job!!!  If you don't like HMR that's fine and your choice, but they seem to work real well for me!!

073f.jpg.6fb8960d54a7005c68ba8197754760c3.jpg

I will hold my hands up forever more on this, I too use to berate the hmr but I have had to eat my words many times. 

This summer I have taken many crows with it too at respectable distances that would be a waste of time with a 22!

1 hour ago, Deker said:

This is a school job from a while back, all with HMR, I did another College job last week and took out 5 foxes, 4 with my HMR and 1 with my WMR, I often take them with my .22LR as well.  I have never done a Domestic fox or school/college job yet where I needed a centrefire!  Tools for the job, and rimfires are commonly the tools for the job on foxes for me, over the years I have taken far more foxes with rimfires than centrefires.  Of course there are other jobs where the rimfires are not starters, but again, tools for the job!!!  If you don't like HMR that's fine and your choice, but they seem to work real well for me!!

Yep its fine using the HMR on tame foxes at close range but different story when you are after warier country cousins. 

10 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yep its fine using the HMR on tame foxes at close range but different story when you are after warier country cousins. 

Mine are country fox's.

I admit the ones that stay 300yds away I have no chance.

Ironically the one I have that is ir and lampshy stays 300yds away or more so its not one I've shot at and quite possibly was shot at with a larger rifle. Mistakes happen.

Now if I shot over vast flat grounds or open hill I would probably have a 243 or 270 or something  between those but not a hmr. No in that scenario a hmr would trump a 22 as a knockabout rifle anyhow.

As it happens my land is handy for the hmr. If they are to far I walk closer. If they dodge me I go another night. Others have to travel, if I had to travel I too would want more reach etc etc

Let's be realistic, they are all good, just as long as you work withing their envelope and the shooters envelope/capabilities.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Please don't let my foxes find out 17hmr don't work on them lads?‍♂️

20210814_211710.jpg.8c2a6ee8be1a57be0cb44ce6c9995b62.jpg

20210812_214413.jpg.785c9bf48004bfd6fc2f1868f42afd47.jpgshot dozens since my last visit lads with hmr. 100% success rate.

Now I use to berate the hmr but ever since I manned up over and got one it is my go to rifle. In fact my 22 is all but redundant!

And to be honest, all though 22 ammo is cheaper I spend more on it, why? Because its that boring I plink a box away whenever I go out with it!

Noise wise I find the hmr unobtrusive. It's supersonic crack is nothing really.

Anyway. You all OK?

20210828_221217.jpg

Hurray! Good to see you back SD, normal service can be resumed ?‍♂️at last.........?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Deker said:

This is a school job from a while back, all with HMR, I did another College job last week and took out 5 foxes, 4 with my HMR and 1 with my WMR, I often take them with my .22LR as well.  I have never done a Domestic fox or school/college job yet where I needed a centrefire!  Tools for the job, and rimfires are commonly the tools for the job on foxes for me, over the years I have taken far more foxes with rimfires than centrefires.  Of course there are other jobs where the rimfires are non starters, but again, tools for the job!!!  If you don't like HMR that's fine and your choice, but they seem to work real well for me!!

I don't care one bit what does or doesn't work for you, neither does anyone else.

• Haha 1

Im not keen at headshots on fox  with the hmr personally. The rounds not penetrative enough and can splash if the shot isn’t int 100%. A wobble or the fox moves slightly and you’ve got a yelping fox running off into the distance, probably with a bad nose or jaw ….. With a centerfire you don’t have that issue.

Chest and bib shots are fine at close range with both, although the hmr will give you an extra few yards and I’ve found stops them instantly in most cases where with the .22lr they may run on a little.
Neither  round is a fox round so use cautiously and in certain circumstances….. when your steady and the range is appropriate. 

As for .17 hmr vs .22lr……Two different tools that fill different roles, can’t say ones better than the other, just fill different nieches. 

You might be better off with FAC air and 17hmr ? …. Depends on your ground etc

• Like 5