Trap failed

I had  a Squirrel  in a 55 Bodygrip  and it failed to kill it , i have caught numerous Rabbits , Rats and squirrels in the 110 116  with no problems but since i have been using the 55  it has happened several times if you look at the pictures you can see the problem  but not the cause , my only thought is the spring clips that hold the trap are somehow out of sinc other than that it is a design fault that should have been apparent in the initial testing .

They love Gherkins

IMG_20210927_145120.jpg

IMG_20210927_144529.jpg

Theoretically,..that small jaw spread of the BMI 55 would seem to be ideal for a grey squirrel getting his head into,.and then,..crack,..lights out..?

I have had good results when this has occurred, especially when using the trap in soffits or small gap entrance holes in roof spaces, where the animal is forced to place his head into that crucial kill point,...but, other than that,..I'm not confident of a quick, clean,...humane kill...?

Early on , when I first brought these wee traps over from the States,.I wanted to have evidence (for various Governing bodies?) that these traps were indeed up to the task,.so,..situations were conceived whereby the target species were filmed, entering the traps...

After due consideration,..and from watching the results,...I decided not to push the issue...

Very few traps will take out the quarry, in double-quick time,...(some will, and some won't) and this factor alone, is what makes a trap suitable for use...

I do believe that as time goes by,.more and more traps will be taken off the approved list....

Thank feck I don't sell kill traps, for a living....?

Stay safe lads,...all the best, OldPhil.?

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like he was trying to get around the trigger, so when the the dog went up and the jaws closed the closed with him at the edge of the jaws meaning the jaws closed at an angle rather than flat /parallel to each other. Because he is at one side the jaw corners are far apart but the opposing side  the jaws are very close and the knuckles come together allowing the spring eyes to pass over the corner knuckle which then allows the jaws to slightly move apart so it doesn’t deliver the humane kill.

you can avoid this to some extent by having the trigger wire spread as wide as possible without leaving too much gap at the bottom or sides. I have made some of my trigger wires circular so that the squirrels head is guided to the centre clear areaand the jaws close with your target in the middle of the jaws which remain parallel and delivering the full strength of the trap.

• Like 1
On 27/09/2021 at 17:12, micky said:

I had  a Squirrel  in a 55 Bodygrip  and it failed to kill it , i have caught numerous Rabbits , Rats and squirrels in the 110 116  with no problems but since i have been using the 55  it has happened several times if you look at the pictures you can see the problem  but not the cause , my only thought is the spring clips that hold the trap are somehow out of sinc other than that it is a design fault that should have been apparent in the initial testing .

They love Gherkins

IMG_20210927_145120.jpg

IMG_20210927_144529.jpg

Gherkins? Good bait for squirrels??

3 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Gherkins? Good bait for squirrels??

I grew ten plants and they grow very Bushy and the fruit is easy to miss and they rapidly grow big and pull down too the ground where the Squirrels gnaw them also my Dog will not stop pulling the leaves of and eating them 

Good croppers and easy to prepare 

IMG_20210820_095902.jpg

IMG_20210815_142123.jpg

IMG_20210814_140349.jpg

• Like 1