A Strange Addiction.....

Its curious, that for a man who has spent a lot of time around farms and holdings, that I have been entirely ignorant about an important aspect of livestock husbandry...?

The recent lockdown and a plethora of 'time on my hands' has allowed me to tune into many subjects, that I have never bothered with before...

I would not say that I am truly addicted , or even mildly obsessional,.but for some crazy reason, I really enjoy watching this guy at work...?

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHoofGP

Stay safe now lads,..all the best, OldPhil?

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Its curious, that for a man who has spent a lot of time around farms and holdings, that I have been entirely ignorant about an important aspect of livestock husbandry...?

The recent lockdown and a plethora of 'time on my hands' has allowed me to tune into many subjects, that I have never bothered with before...

I would not say that I am truly addicted , or even mildly obsessional,.but for some crazy reason, I really enjoy watching this guy at work...?

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHoofGP

Stay safe now lads,..all the best, OldPhil?

One of my favourite jobs on the farm. ?

• Like 2

Watched a load of this guy's videos on youtube after you mentioned him before on another thread.

Amazing watching him take all that crap off the hoof with that knife, and also grinding all the excess off with the grinder.

Haven't watched any for a good while now.

SINDASOX

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You ever tried the manly clipping for fox? They love em for some reason, stick a load in bucket w water sn leave in sun for few days or however brave your feeling an t to hen carry into a field an poke some holes in bucket

Them folding tables that lay the beasts flat are a pure god send to the guys who do it for a living, we still do the odd few a day in old crush but then a guy comes every couple weeks an does a load at a time

No never put em out for a fox. 

we have a chap come routinely every 4-5 weeks with his posh crush. Some people say them roll over crushes will give cows twisted gut. But never seen any evidence for it. 

10 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

We been using one for years. The guy that owns it knows his stuff a pure pro, the speed an skill he uses doing them needs seeing you believing. Don’t know if I could do it all day every day. But there again it don’t seem a bad way to earn a living, the equine dentists are awsome aswell, I watched them a few times local, big fcuk off files an rasps in the mouth ???

Good money to be earned in it if you can get enough customers. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Usually a bit of both as far as iv noticed, they will have a pro come on an do 50/60/70 a day on his table but he may only come every other week .....

:icon_eek: Fukk Me! We are talking trimming cattles feet here, yeah? That's in fukking credible! My neighbour has cows. I've never heard about him touching their feet. And I've never heard him mentioning anyone coming to do it.

Thinking about it? His are out on the land, all 'summer' and in the stalls winter time. There's no fukking way he could be chasing them back up to the yard / pens a couple of times a month then. I'd notice.

He's had ponies and donkeys too. Reckon they'd be lucky to see the Farrier more than twice a year. But, then, I'd have to say; He Is a Cattleman. He really knows shit about equines and probably cares even less :(

I make it my business to give him shit about his donkeys feet and hassle him into getting the Farrier in. If his cows needed Anything though, he'd be on it like a ton of bricks.

I genuinely can't work this out. I'll have to ask him.

54 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

I must try to find a Farm that is using a Hoof Trimmer,...do ALL Beef and Dairy farms employ such a person, or do they trim their cattle themselves, 'in house'?

img Scans253.jpg

Beef cattle don’t tend to need so much trimming. They don’t spend the time on concrete like dairy cattle. And they are not being pushed so hard in turns of yield etc. If your ever down my way will take you to see some being done ??

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Beef cattle don’t tend to need so much trimming. They don’t spend the time on concrete like dairy cattle.

That could well explain my neighbours situation then! His are beef. Of course, what goes on in his sheds during the winter, is his business. I've, at times, had him say over the phone that he has 'A Man' in and is busy. Could well be the hoof man then :)

5 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

That could well explain my neighbours situation then! His are beef. Of course, what goes on in his sheds during the winter, is his business. I've, at times, had him say over the phone that he has 'A Man' in and is busy. Could well be the hoof man then :)

I've never known store cows need trimming, but I'm guessing if you see one limping you would have a look and do the same type of thing. But they don't have em done as a routine like dairy cows. 

I've had a go at a few but it was a right job in an old crush and the farmer looking over my shoulder trying to teach me what to do. Always good when the pro arrived for half a day and you knew they were being looked at properly. 

I've had a play at rasping horses teeth as well, under supervision of a horse dentist obviously. 

• Like 2