Status quo bassist rip

18 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Had GnR Lies album on a knock off cassette....was like gold dust... Appetite was the album that made me stand up and take notice, 87 or 88??

Would have been 11 or 12, got it at a market in North Devon, made my old man play it in the van back home...got a bit of look when Axle starts screaming about f***ing this and that...then Rocket Queen and the live recorded sex with the port star... "not really the Beatles is it"... no its not...thank f**k!!! Lol

Can’t imagine north Devon having a thriving rock scene lol. Old man went to see ac/dc twice over two days. Caught train up come back booked tickets went back again 

• Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw ACDC at Wembley arena in 1990 on there Thunderstruck tour.Same year I discovered ecstacy and went from a scruffy grebo biker to a loved up raver overnight.

Enough said now.....

Stand aside you beginner !  

3 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Can’t imagine north Devon having a thriving rock scene lol. Old man went to see ac/dc twice over two days. Caught train up come back booked tickets went back again 

It never lol...

I think we were in Barnstaple at some market, saw Appetite on tape and badgered the old man to get it...like I say the drive home with it blaring in the van cassette player, don't think my old man knew the type of lyrics etc...he was a Willy Nelson, Kenny Rodgers kind of bloke...so Anything Goes tonight lyrics weren't well received..

"Panties round your knees, with your ass in debris"

I mean that is quality song writing right there...lol

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Agreed, he "bounced" everything along... the big power songs on Use your illusions weren't a patch on the raw rock of Appetite imo...

I was listening to Sabbath, ACDC, Metallica etc....but GnR were the band that really grabbed me at that time if I'm honest... 

Even the appetite songs didnt sound the same without Adlers funky edge after he left and Matt Sorum took over.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

It never lol...

I think we were in Barnstaple at some market, saw Appetite on tape and badgered the old man to get it...like I say the drive home with it blaring in the van cassette player, don't think my old man knew the type of lyrics etc...he was a Willy Nelson, Kenny Rodgers kind of bloke...so Anything Goes tonight lyrics weren't well received..

"Panties round your knees, with your ass in debris"

I mean that is quality song writing right there...lol

What area did you live in? 

10 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Even the appetite songs didnt sound the same without Adlers funky edge after he left and Matt Sorum took over.

Tbf Axl Rose was a soppy cnut and Slash and other members hated the lovey power ballads he was knocking out. 

32 minutes ago, downsouth said:

My younger brother was into them befor me as I was more into old school metal/rock at the time 87/88 we'd have been 12 and 13ish.He had Lies but Id never took much notice But when I heard Welcome to the Jungle and Adlers drumming at the start of Rocket Queen I was hooked.Never the same band after they booted Adler out.

There was a lad lived along from me , very metal head type , double denim , white snake blaring from his Capri , chick in pleather trousers, massive hair etc 

My mam had bought me a guns t shirt at Gretna market and he landed at the door with the tapes of appetite with hysteria by def leopard in on the backside of it .

I was obsessed with the final part of rocket queen when the drum breaks the solo. 

played it till it blew out like yourself . I went through a stage of hating them when I got into oasis and trance etc but I got appetite on cd again and it’s genuinely still the only cd I play in the car with my Chem romance as well. 

Must have about 7 or 8 guns t shirts and last year bought her a pair of printed jeans with the logo on them . Have a huge poster up in the stairs of them.

can’t get enough of pulp print bios of the band In stores . Slash and Steven alder were in the same class at school as Anthony kiedis and flea of the RHCP as well. Alders is a great book. ??

I think it’s a nostalgia thing as they and the sound they portray are from a world that doesn’t exist anymore. We just don’t get Rock stars like that now 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

There was a lad lived along from me , very metal head type , double denim , white snake blaring from his Capri , chick in pleather trousers, massive hair etc 

My mam had bought me a guns t shirt at Gretna market and he landed at the door with the tapes of appetite with hysteria by def leopard in on the backside of it .

I was obsessed with the final part of rocket queen when the drum breaks the solo. 

played it till it blew out like yourself . I went through a stage of hating them when I got into oasis and trance etc but I got appetite on cd again and it’s genuinely still the only cd I play in the car with my Chem romance as well. 

Must have about 7 or 8 guns t shirts and last year bought her a pair of printed jeans with the logo on them . Have a huge poster up in the stairs of them.

can’t get enough of pulp print bios of the band In stores . Slash and Steven alder were in the same class at school as Anthony kiedis and flea of the RHCP as well. Alders is a great book. ??

I think it’s a nostalgia thing as they and the sound they portray are from a world that doesn’t exist anymore. We just don’t get Rock stars like that now 

Do you know what, I just never got the whole G&Rs thing…..ever……they were just too produced for me.

My dislike for them first began when I was around 17 and working on a building site of flats.

I worked with a young Irish labourer who was mad about them, never stopped on about them…..drove me f***ing mad……so mad in fact that I ended up doing him over, tying him up with thin nylon rope and dumping him in a bathroom in the block so I didn’t have to listen to the c**t all day.

Just never, ever, got them at all.

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Do you know what, I just never got the whole G&Rs thing…..ever……they were just too produced for me.

My dislike for them first began when I was around 17 and working on a building site of flats.

I worked with a young Irish labourer who was mad about them, never stopped on about them…..drove me f***ing mad……so mad in fact that I ended up doing him over, tying him up with thin nylon rope and dumping him in a bathroom in the block so I didn’t have to listen to the c**t all day.

Just never, ever, got them at all.

He’s probably into clannad now 

I think the best thing I’ve read about them is that they are the ultimate 1 album band .

not a one hit wonder , an opus of an lp that was so immaculate , it just cannot be replicated as it captured a time , an era , a sound so perfectly . 

what’s their nearest comparison ? Definitely maybe perhaps ? but oasis produced a better album imho with what’s the story . 

there really isn’t anyone to compare it to when you think , appetite is an absolutely masterpiece whose weak link imho is sweet child of mine . their most famous song . It’s crazy to think that they just threw away songs like my Michelle and night train as fillers . 

Just now, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

He’s probably into clannad now 

I think the best thing I’ve read about them is that they are the ultimate 1 album band .

not a one hit wonder , an opus of an lp that was so immaculate , it just cannot be replicated as it captured a time , an era , a sound so perfectly . 

what’s their nearest comparison ? Definitely maybe perhaps ? but oasis produced a better album imho with what’s the story . 

there really isn’t anyone to compare it to when you think , appetite is an absolutely masterpiece whose weak link imho is sweet child of mine . their most famous song . It’s crazy to think that they just threw away songs like my Michelle and night train as fillers . 

If you didn't know every lyric to Night Train at 12 years old, you weren't worth knowing...lol

• Thanks 1

I go back to Apetite, but don't bother at all with use your illusions... love one in a million off Lies album and Patience...

As I got older I moved away from metal and got into the 90s music, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Shed 7, Pulp..

always loved Bruce Springsteen through my old man...

Then went backwards in time early 20s, The Who, The Stones etc...but never particularly liked the Beatles...

GnR captured that moment as a kid going into my teens, I guess its a timing thing...but still think its a great album

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

West coast strutting 

one fat momma 

got a rattlesnake suitcase 

under 1 arm 

I'm a mean machine

Been drinking gasoline

And honey you can make my motor hum 

I think my last 

3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I go back to Apetite, but don't bother at all with use your illusions... love one in a million off Lies album and Patience...

As I got older I moved away from metal and got into the 90s music, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Shed 7, Pulp..

always loved Bruce Springsteen through my old man...

Then went backwards in time early 20s, The Who, The Stones etc...but never particularly liked the Beatles...

GnR captured that moment as a kid going into my teens, I guess its a timing thing...but still think its a great album

I think we’d have similar i pods mate 

I can’t get the Beatles , I like the earlier stuff not the nonsense they drifted too. 

Can’t stick the stone roses mind . Awful 

• Like 1