Podenco

3 hours ago, sandymere said:

Some ground that mate ;) and I love their accent.. so las islas ?

To the crabbers (before you start).. if you've not seen the ground some of these types run on, come and have a butchers. A lot of the spanish breeds (working) have feet like cloven hooves ;)

The rest are just snipey nosed cnuts like Sandies ?

• Haha 3

Wouldn't be my cup of.tea hunting rabbits But what I will say them dogs are very well controlled there very calm doing there work Brilliant very well balanced team and I must say not hard on there pray every one was live to hand very inpressed in them and must have very good feet Brilliant good video 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Wouldn't be my cup of.tea hunting rabbits But what I will say them dogs are very well controlled there very calm doing there work Brilliant very well balanced team and I must say not hard on there pray every one was live to hand very inpressed in them and must have very good feet Brilliant good video 

Never really paid much attention so missed the fact the rabbits were live , 

I blame the fact I hadn’t had my second coffee ?

• Haha 2
On 26/09/2021 at 10:31, forest of dean redneck said:

Out of interest are they hard mouthed ? 
just wondering if that amount of dogs  trying to catch the rabbit , Does it get competitive and resulting in bruised rabbits ? 

Actually they are said to have a soft mouth.

Never worked one, as it is illegal where I live, but had a dog that was high in podenco blood, most likely mixed with galgo.

Their style of hunting is not so much that of a sighthound, to some degree they work more like rogue dogs.

The are fast, they can jump like a kangaroo, they are diggers, climbers and the tend to use their nose a lot. 

Very nice and affectionate dogs. At least for the people that keep them as pets they can be quite a new experience, to having owned other sigthounds before, as, well, their interest are different. Where the galgo, whippet, grey may scan the horizon for something to catch, the podenco jumps right into the next bush and vanishes for an hour, digs a tunnel to the next village and comes back retrieving a mouse.

Edited by Rakete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went out with a pack on mallorca few Yr ago .they new the job and worked woodland and scrub and done well taken coney and pushing out to guns .

It was a great morning with good people, they can be vocal just like the owners lol   they work well in a pack and id jump at the chance to go again .

They did catch coney that morning but mostly pushed out to guns ,

Might be the odd one here in UK but not sure if they worked .

Atb mooch 

• Like 1

I have a Spanish friend that had a few over here years ago, shes gone back to Spain now, and she used to have me in stitches with the exploits they got up to. They were just  pets really and had no training but a very high prey drive...... She would post of her outings on Facebook in Spanish, to be very badly auto translated to English which just made it more hilarious. The auto translate managed to change rabbit for guinea pig which when added to a vivid description of the horrors of a hyper excitable, middle aged, completely mad Spanish lady on  4 hour hunts across country through forest and bog in pursuit of a couple of Podencos that were in pursuit of rabbits, forever endeared my to the Spanish people. 

It was her uncle that bred and coursed galgos and through her I got my first bitch.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, stevemac said:

My hunting buddy has a 1/4 Ibizan 3/4 bull grey the dog is a very good fox dog very athletic great nose can find em in the swamps we hunt. Great mix for a fox dog. 

My mate (Alectoris) has lads with packs of them mixed with allsorts, working his land... they use them for finding boar and find they do ;)

• Like 1
On 28/09/2021 at 00:02, Rakete said:

Actually they are said to have a soft mouth.

Never worked one, as it is illegal where I live, but had a dog that was high in podenco blood, most likely mixed with galgo.

Their style of hunting is not so much that of a sighthound, to some degree they work more like rogue dogs.

The are fast, they can jump like a kangaroo, they are diggers, climbers and the tend to use their nose a lot. 

Very nice and affectionate dogs. At least for the people that keep them as pets they can be quite a new experience, to having owned other sigthounds before, as, well, their interest are different. Where the galgo, whippet, grey may scan the horizon for something to catch, the podenco jumps right into the next bush and vanishes for an hour, digs a tunnel to the next village and comes back retrieving a mouse.

I want one

15 minutes ago, mushroom said:

My mate (Alectoris) has lads with packs of them mixed with allsorts, working his land... they use them for finding boar and find they do ;)

Yes they are a hunting machine they have become quite popular out here amongst the fox hunters and even some pighunters I know are keen on them also. Pure they do have a soft mouth and not keen on teeth but the crosses usually harden up and maintain their unique hunting style.

9 hours ago, Tyla said:

I want one

They are fun.

If one has the nerves for fun.

Mine did 50inch jumps like a rubber ball, up and down in one spot, tried to jump off bridges to get that damn motor boat, if you lost him, you found him stuck in a mouse hole or trotting through water like a stork, jumping onto frogs, he spend his walks inspecting bushes from the inside and remembered the smell of pizza on the street for 20min and ran back. 

There was no mean fibre in this dog. He was really great with people. A little clingy.  Manipulative and a world class thieve, that stole candy out of elderly ladies handbags. Took him to the nursing home, without any schooling as it was not needed. No, not because of the stealing part. The being a nice guy part. Wheelchair leashwalking and climbing into beds and enduring being patted on the head for like half an hour.

But he was an idiot - if judged by obedience class standards. We called him Rantanplan.

I really miss this guy. Not so much the fort knox trash bin, the kitchen raids, jumping from trunk to windshield in one quick move, but all of the rest.

Most pure Podenco Andaluz or Canario I know, if not fearful because of bad excperiences with humans or a complete lack of excperience with the outside world beside hunting in a pack, do have at least a glimpse of this clownish, open nature mine had. I do believe that Tigger, Winnie the Poos friend might be a podenco cross.

I lack experience working them, but I never saw "the look" in mine, this moment the eyes change and they are all muscle and adrenalin und ready to take off, like in my galgos, neither did they ever change into the "No bullshit. This is serious until it is over" mode of my amstaff cross.

In mechanical lure coursing I find them more salukiish. "Oh, great day, nice to do a little jog. Maybe later on there will be some real work to do" (Saluki doing a warm up,  podenco dreaming of jumping into the next bush, doing the pogo stick style thing.) Nowhere near the absolute eagerness to run and get this damn lure, as it means a world to my racebred whippet. Never had to be explained, how this works. It is written into her system. 

The podencos, at least the retired from working I saw, their system does not work like this. They seem softer in this respect. Their super power is not 10seconds till kill. They will try to run down, if needed, but it is more the search for it. And not to forget: jump onto it. Or try to dig it out like a long legged dachshund - but one that does not mess up to much with the badger.

I love their toes. Many of the working podencos seem to have splayed toes, seen more easty westy or flat feet than in other sighthound(like) dogs that came directly from spain, but these toes seem to be made to climb, to jump and run on rough ground. Where my galgos brought back broken toes, injured stopper pads, split webs, damaged nails, the podenco cross came back with a frog. Or a mouse. Not one injury in 11 years (without real hunting but lots of hard running on different ground) allthough he was so down in the pasterns that the vet was sure this dog would not make it without severe arthritis starting at young age or breaking down. Still I think weak pasterns are a fault also in this breed, but in mine it did not do damage. Maybe with harder work things would have been different. And maybe his lack of real speed did him good. He was fast. He could keep up with the pure galgos. Till they moved on to double suspension. On the other hand, his stamina was better. Took him with me for half marathon training. 10, 15k road work on the bike where no problem. My galgos would not like me for that. They could do it, somehow, but like...uhm no not so much.

In spain there are many regional types or podenco breeds, allthough I would not consider the smaller ones  to really be sighthoundlike, as they are classified by FCI or international sighthound breeding clubs, but all are rabbit hunters. Galgo is hare, podenco is rabbit - but often used together with other dogs like the andaluz terrier.

There do exist more catchdog like hybrids. I think wire haired podenco x dogo argentino is very common. Always forget how this type is called, it barely apears in rescues. "Perro de rehala" or "Rehala" can be looked up to find a little more about them or how they are used.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1