How old do the ferrets have to be before you start

_Lewis_

9 hours ago, _Lewis_ said:

I have 2 hobs that are around 3 and a half 4 months old and I want to know when are they old enough to start working? And is there anything that I need to do to prepare them?

I like to start mine on the lure around 4 / 5 months nothing big just around the garden put a few obstacles in there couple of old drain pipes and every now and again smack them on the head with a wooden spoon so they get used to getting kicked in the head by rabbits after a week or two I step it up to a metal spoon ? if they survive longer than six months I’ll try them down a 40 holer and see how they get on if they jack ill sell them as pets or you could read the thread above and will learn everything you need to know atb BB 

• Haha 2

I usually start mine of at around 6 months old with an old ferret or with their mother they generally pick it up pretty well by the end of the season. Another one I also do is give them a small feed just to take the hunger out of them around an hours or to befor I go. I have found by doing that they don’t seem to hold you up as often if at all. These are some of the things we need to do down here in oz as our ground is extremely hard and would have no hope of digging them out. To get an idea on our ground here in oz check out some of sirbless video's he has put up. Good luck with them. 

• Like 1

As ferretman65 says that’s the ideal age.try and find a little 2 or 3 holer that’s holding and their instinct will kick in.you’ve got to let them come out the holes at their own accord though and don’t rush in to grab them otherwise you’ll make them skulk and that can be a right pain in the arse 

• Like 1

There,s no hard and fast way pal just introduce em nice n steady ,small sett,s, that your dog has given a deffinate mark at don't force em then block em in ,let em play take your time . some click straight away ,some take abit longer but 99% will make good rabbiter,s ,been at it 43 years only had one that I gave up on can't explain it , good luck kid

• Like 1