Patterdale terrier having fits

Hi my patterdale terrier is having lots of fits most of the time it starts with him being sick, or trying to be then the fit lasts about 3/5 mins. It started off as odd one here and there buy now more frequently. I've had him to vets had full bloods done etc and they never found anything wrong with him. Any ideas? He's 2 years old 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I wouldn't keep an animal going if it needed medication to keep it alive,I don't think it's fair and quite selfish...I understand it was your dad's and you've lost him ..what would your Old

Lad I dig with had a Russell dog fitted a few times on him. We actually dug to the dog one day thinking he was on but he was having a seizure.  Then one of my own began taking them also. None w

We had a red lakey bitch started having fits when she was 2yrs old started off 1 every week or so until they end up happening 3/4 times a day she was pts as it upset my wife to much to see it suffer t

Posted Images

Phone different vets see if any can give you an idea of why it’s happening before you go to them, I had similar lates eighties with a Patterdale dog, vets didn’t know the cause back then, you’d have thought vets would have learned something about dogs fitting in the last thirty odd years, feel for you, hope you get it sorted and the dog makes full recovery, atb

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Phone different vets see if any can give you an idea of why it’s happening before you go to them, I had similar lates eighties with a Patterdale dog, vets didn’t know the cause back then, you’d have thought vets would have learned something about dogs fitting in the last thirty odd years, feel for you, hope you get it sorted and the dog makes full recovery, atb

Presume they’ve ruled out epilepsy ?

I had a black dog years ago suddenly 

developed it.

it’s not nice to see the fits 

ATB Tony

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Presume they’ve ruled out epilepsy ?

I had a black dog years ago suddenly 

developed it.

it’s not nice to see the fits 

ATB Tony

The vet at the time was very reluctant to tell me anything, got the feeling he didn’t approve of digging terriers and didn’t want me or my kind there, the dog had three or four more seizures that probably lasted less than five minutes each time, I know that don’t sound long but it was heartbreaking to witness it, I had him pts not long after just didn’t want to see him suffer anymore, atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

The vet at the time was very reluctant to tell me anything, got the feeling he didn’t approve of digging terriers and didn’t want me or my kind there, the dog had three or four more seizures that probably lasted less than five minutes each time, I know that don’t sound long but it was heartbreaking to witness it, I had him pts not long after just didn’t want to see him suffer anymore, atb

That’s what I did too mate 

ATB  Tony 

• Thanks 1

The wife’s lakey started having them from about 5yrs old but wasn’t really often and was only when he got up from a sleep.As he got older they started to get more regular from about 9yrs old then by the time he was 12 started pissing blood.And yip it was cancer he was a cracking dog I used to take him to work on rat jobs but the wife wouldn’t let me use him for digging,as she seen the state my borders used to come back in and he was keen for a look in a hole.This is him mate just before he started the fits

15957AC5-1501-415D-BDAE-AA5A0B06E082.png

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Netmaker said:

We had a red lakey bitch started having fits when she was 2yrs old started off 1 every week or so until they end up happening 3/4 times a day she was pts as it upset my wife to much to see it suffer them pissing and shitting it self

DSCI0014 (2).JPG

Was she out of vic what Mousey had Paul.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Netmaker said:

Yes martin and old Larry Carr's black n tan bitch

That’s what the wife’s dog was through I ask Mousey if any of his had fits from vic and he said no.The red dog called Dan which my son sold to Larry he got cancer at about 7 by then Dave and janette had him and I think he died a year later.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Netmaker said:

her and her sister were the only 2 reds in the litter and both had to be put to sleep due to the fits they had  the other 4 were black n tan and were fine

Vic came from churchy Mousey gave him £5000 for him,I mentioned it before on a three on here when they were skating churchy and didn’t know the story as usual mate.

• Like 1