Pup prices

I started researching for my next kelpie pup over a year ago and started panicking when I saw that the average was £1,200 and some were £2,500! Fortunately I went back to the same farmer who bred my current eldest and will be picking up my pup in three weeks at only a couple of hundred more than I paid for him more than seven years ago.

• Like 4

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to put things in context. A decent pair of wellies will cost £100-£150 and last probably less than a year of hard wear. Four top end new mud terrain tyres for a pick up will cost between £700 and

Have you bred litters yourself?  I know there are always people on here giving their opinion on how much dogs should be sold for, but have never bred a litter and never intend to, but they still think

I was lucky to be gifted my 4 year old boy when he was a pup and I've recently bought a well bred sal bull grey gave 300 got 50 back for luck didn't know the man before I met him that day. There are s

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

If I see a litter I liked I wouldn't be put of by price as like you say once face to face with breeder you could still walk away with pup you wanted at price keeps both sides happy  ,and your right they few on here taking litters and selling for coin but post pups on face mug or fee adds .

Ray I used to think 150 /250 was about right for a juckel but you try and find a well bred litter for that price ?  I think you find it hard unless someone you no as a litter or maybe someone is finding it hard to move pups on .

Folk keep saying in the 80s they payed 150 ? ,me mam bought a yard back then as well for couple grand now it cost 70 grand . Things have gone up in price in last 40 Yr.  I really don't think a weeks wages a bad price for a dog that's going to give you yrs of enjoyment .

In the 80s pups were £25-30 or free to mates,I think £250-300 is a decent price for a decent pup or more if it’s the right bred and selective bred right like they should be.By the time you have pup all the time and effort into choosing the right pup,bring it up doing the job then having to travel for the right stud dog to hopefully better the pups you deserve a decent price,as you have put all the ground work in and the person buying the pup is getting a well bred dog for a good price just my opinion ?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, lurchers said:

In the 80s pups were £25-30 or free to mates,I think £250-300 is a decent price for a decent pup or more if it’s the right bred and selective bred right like they should be.By the time you have pup all the time and effort into choosing the right pup,bring it up doing the job then having to travel for the right stud dog to hopefully better the pups you deserve a decent price,as you have put all the ground work in and the person buying the pup is getting a well bred dog for a good price just my opinion ?

Just to put things in context. A decent pair of wellies will cost £100-£150 and last probably less than a year of hard wear. Four top end new mud terrain tyres for a pick up will cost between £700 and £1000 and will probably last a year. ...... I could go on ........

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Just to put things in context. A decent pair of wellies will cost £100-£150 and last probably less than a year of hard wear. Four top end new mud terrain tyres for a pick up will cost between £700 and £1000 and will probably last a year. ...... I could go on ........

And your point was ??

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lurchers said:

And your point was ??

As you said, everything  is more expensive these days.... and we end up spending a lot of money on items with a limited life. When you think about it a good well bred Lurcher pup that costs the same money as a couple of decent pairs of wellies or a couple of off road tyres for your truck ........ isn’t very expensive really. I don’t think 250-500 is crazy money for a decent pup. I was agreeing with you / generally musing ? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ijf said:

All the dogs I have bought have been shite, all the dogs I have been gifted turned out to be good workers

Last 3 Terriers I was gifted didn't make the cut? there's certain blood you will never get near,no amount of coin or muffing of the arse will get you one...so I guess you just have to work with what you got..looking back all my best dogs bar my old beddy bull bitch I payed for some shape or form..the best being a young black dog...cost me all the change I had on me at the time ...£7:80 that was enough at the time for the geezer to get a gram of Billy ?I had stuff bred down from him for the best part of 20 yrs until I made a few wrong choices,listening to f***ing pricks,chirping in my ears....I should of stuck to my plans and carried on the way I was... Because the way I did things,I always had something I could work with...there's plenty of f***ing know-it-alls about who should practice what they preach..peddling cnuts all over Instagram,and the holiest of f***ing holy on here?

My brothers breed and sell kc dogs,not something I'm interested in..my one brother has had 54 pups from one bitch over the yrs?...the other has just made just under 70k for a litter of 10 pups?best of luck to him I say...so long as fools will part with the money ,folks will keep breeding the arse of stuff..no one buys them,then prices come down?

• Like 2

Tbh I’m not going to stand here telling another man what to pay for a pup when my last 3 pups I payed feck all for. It’d make me a dirty hypocritical cu*t  if I did or if I tryed to base a mans financial worth with my own on what he should spend on a pup

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, poxon said:

Tbh I’m not going to stand here telling another man what to pay for a pup when my last 3 pups I payed feck all for. It’d make me a dirty hypocritical cu*t  if I did or if I tryed to base a mans financial worth with my own on what he should spend on a pup

Sit down and say it d

The last two dogs I've had were gifted, a Teckel and a deer/grey.

I'd gladly have paid the asking price for them, especially the deer/grey, as it was exactly the breeding I wanted, and is extremely hard to find these days.

If it's the breeding I want, I'd travel anywhere and pay anything, within reason.

You get what you pay for, buy shite you get shite.

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, poxon said:

That’s a bit extreme ? 

comparing lurcher prizes to match dog prizes of the past ffs they lads wouldn't have gave you the blood years ago no matter how much you had the daytime coursing game is over my mate was paying traveling lads that for dogs 30 years ago iam talking about dogs that could kill 5or6 daytime hares .

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I do an obscene amount of walking / work in wellies and generally find the cheap ones die fast. Also I like comfort! Good stuff on your feet is important imo 

Totally agree  as regards comfort and stability  despite what age we are please buy good footwear,i have 5 different types 1 wellington,2 leather boots ,3 goretex lined trainers all i water proof etc.

• Like 1