Pup prices

Me being old well 50 and out of the loop for years , I seeing prices of £500 £600 for a pup , is that the normal now? I bought my last bitch 12 years ago weaton bull for £150. I am  still thinking that's a reasonable  price or am delusional? Also with the demise of earth dog running dog is there anything like it anymore or is that things from the past as well?

Thanks 

Andy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to put things in context. A decent pair of wellies will cost £100-£150 and last probably less than a year of hard wear. Four top end new mud terrain tyres for a pick up will cost between £700 and

Have you bred litters yourself?  I know there are always people on here giving their opinion on how much dogs should be sold for, but have never bred a litter and never intend to, but they still think

I was lucky to be gifted my 4 year old boy when he was a pup and I've recently bought a well bred sal bull grey gave 300 got 50 back for luck didn't know the man before I met him that day. There are s

Posted Images

If you see a litter you fancy but the asking price is exorbitant ,wait a few weeks and haggle. Most home breeders are desperate to get rid of pups once they reach 10 weeks or so. It they've got two or three pups to sell they will bite your hand off. Pups shite, pee, destroy, howl, escape etc. Offer a reasonable price and they will gladly accept

• Like 2

I really don't see dog prices going back to how they was 3 or 5 Yr ago , I got my bedy grey first x for 150 and lad gave me 30 back for good luck 3 Yr ago and that's how it should be but last two Yr I see bedy whippets go for anything upto 2 grand and same with whippets ,gun dogs .it don't really matter the type you looking for breeders are coining it in with no thought of the dog just Bank balance and if fools pay these high prices they not going to drop any time soon ,they might still be few who breed to keep a pup and just want good homes for rest of the litter and ask Little money but they mostly keep pups within a circle of friends who they no won't sell pups on for profit  

I'd say 500 for a well bred pup about right today as things have moved on from 30 Yr ago but 2000 for a whippet or any type just crazy money ?

• Like 2

This is my two penn'orth, it's not what you know it's who you know and not what you've got, it's what you can offer a well bred pup.

if you are needing to buy a pup from the internet peddlers then you need to ask yourself, if the pups needed to be advertised, are they any good?

You pays ya money ya takes ya chance. 

• Like 2

I think 250 quid. Not bad price for a pup today. I bought a bull x grey pup in the 80s of well k Joe Smith from Brum, from well bred dogs, it was 120 quid, so 250 today a fare price. But the prob is today, getting a good pup from lads that  doing a bit, you got to be in the click, and it can be hard if your not,  if they don't take there blinkers off?

There’s still decent folk about who isn’t in a click or circle mate who still need to advertise depending on the breed.As for these circles everyone is on about what about if these others don’t or have no room for another pup.The breeder might of bred for himself but still need to get shot of excess.If there’s a litter you fancy go and look you can more or less the the jest of a person talking face to face with them and know if they are full of it.Just remember the prices have gone and lads even on this site has charged folk the same money as these peddlers while the chance is there for them to make a good profit for quality the same as shite.But they won’t come on here and tell you that all the best with your search mate.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, lurchers said:

There’s still decent folk about who isn’t in a click or circle mate who still need to advertise depending on the breed.As for these circles everyone is on about what about if these others don’t or have no room for another pup.The breeder might of bred for himself but still need to get shot of excess.If there’s a litter you fancy go and look you can more or less the the jest of a person talking face to face with them and know if they are full of it.Just remember the prices have gone and lads even on this site has charged folk the same money as these peddlers while the chance is there for them to make a good profit for quality the same as shite.But they won’t come on here and tell you that all the best with your search mate.

If I see a litter I liked I wouldn't be put of by price as like you say once face to face with breeder you could still walk away with pup you wanted at price keeps both sides happy  ,and your right they few on here taking litters and selling for coin but post pups on face mug or fee adds .

7 hours ago, bird said:

I think 250 quid. Not bad price for a pup today. I bought a bull x grey pup in the 80s of well k Joe Smith from Brum, from well bred dogs, it was 120 quid, so 250 today a fare price. But the prob is today, getting a good pup from lads that  doing a bit, you got to be in the click, and it can be hard if your not,  if they don't take there blinkers off?

Ray I used to think 150 /250 was about right for a juckel but you try and find a well bred litter for that price ?  I think you find it hard unless someone you no as a litter or maybe someone is finding it hard to move pups on .

Folk keep saying in the 80s they payed 150 ? ,me mam bought a yard back then as well for couple grand now it cost 70 grand . Things have gone up in price in last 40 Yr.  I really don't think a weeks wages a bad price for a dog that's going to give you yrs of enjoyment .

• Like 3
8 hours ago, bird said:

I remember coursing pups going for over a grand many yrs ago .