.243 The story so far

• 5 months later...

Having used this rifle for seven months now and killing a few foxes with it ( 53 ) i thought it was time to let folks know how i am getting on with it. The rifle itself is perfect for what i do and owning another two supervarmints makes it no stranger. What i have found is that it is nowhere near as flat as my homeloaded 204s. So much so that i am virtually having to think about every shot i take with it. If a fox is a bit rangy i am ( time permitting ) checking the app to see how far it actually is, something that i have rarely had to do with the 204. For me and where i shoot flatness is king. A fact that surprised me was it is also more wind affected than the 204 as well. I am going to have to try pushing the 55grn bullets faster than their current 3,725fps if it is going to compare favourably against the 204. I will experiment with this in the warmer months. If i am successful i will continue to use it with the Drone x 10 for foxes for a while, but at the moment i don't have the same confidence in it that i have in my 204. My findings are as follows:

Cons

Not as flat as i would like.                                                                                                                                                                                        Lose sight picture on virtually every shot.                                                                                                                                                       Considerably noisier.                                                                                                                                                                                            More wind affected.                                                                                                                                                                                              Uses lots more powder.

Pros

It hits harder.                                                                                                                                                                                        

• Like 6

I was never a fan of the .204 at 1st due to it's propensity to splash with early ammo. But since it got sorted, I'm not sure there's a better fox round out there. The sheer explosive effect of the superfast bullet combined with the flat ballistics make it a real winner in my book. I'm not sure I've seen anything with better terminal effects although dead is dead. There is some argument that deader = more leaway with a bad shot though.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ianm said:

Right then, time to start turning the wick up on the 243. Just had these delivered today so I will start knocking a few experimental loads up next week.

DE74D487-94B6-414D-A96C-100A7D33EB9C.jpeg

58 grn v max a great choice...devastating on foxes. My mate used to use them years ago ....very flat and fast ?

• Like 1

Excellent on foxes and flat for a while, but falls away at distance quite quickly.  Energy retention falls away to.

Just the same, out to 200 yards superb, good to 300(ish), depends on distance you need!

They work well in my Tikka T3 Hunter but can be fussy about twist!  I think the Tikka T3 Supervarmint 243 and my Hunter are both 1-10 just the same.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker