Bigger test than a fox!

Looks like at least 4-5 regions in Spain are about to hold a vote on allowing wolf hunting/control. Lot of normal eco w@nkers giving it large but at least here, they put the farmers in the same debate on national telly and give them a free voice. Can't say I'm happy about it but at the end of the day there was 2500 attacks, on sheep alone, in just one region last year. I know if I had a flock, I wouldn't be happy.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Just now, mushroom said:

Looks like at least 4-5 regions in Spain are about to hold a vote on allowing wolf hunting/control. Lot of normal eco w@nkers giving it large but at least here, they put the farmers in the same debate on national telly and give them a free voice. Can't say I'm happy about it but at the end of the day there was 2500 attacks, on sheep alone, in just one region last year. I know if I had a flock, I wouldn't be happy.

Thoughts?

Will the pointer catch one?

1 minute ago, mushroom said:

I love wolves why can't they use a few kangal dogs to keep them away?

41 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

I love wolves why can't they use a few kangal dogs to keep them away?

A lot of places do but the numbers have exploded due to lack of "legal" control. A group of 3-5 herd guardians ain't gonna be able to cover a flock of a few thousand, not without missing something. Main issue is the damage they do to the sheep. You have ewes walking around with half their back missing. That's obviously when the guardians catch up and chase the wolves off. Damage is already done ;)

Edited by mushroom
44 minutes ago, mushroom said:

A lot of places do but the numbers have exploded due to lack of "legal" control. A group of 3-5 herd guardians ain't gonna be able to cover a flock of a few thousand, not without missing something. Main issue is the damage they do to the sheep. You have ewes walking around with half their back missing. That's obviously when the guardians catch up and chase the wolves off. Damage is already done ;)

It should be done on a permit system, show the proof and get the permit, kangals ok 1 on 1 but wolves usually go in a bigger pack and end eating the kangals too

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

It should be done on a permit system, show the proof and get the permit, kangals ok 1 on 1 but wolves usually go in a bigger pack and end eating the kangals too

Normally Iberian wolves work in small packs. Apparently, (I cannot confirm, as I've not seen with my own eyes) they have started banding up in bigger packs and going on the rampage, like a fox in a coup. It's not just sheep, cows, pets, horses even Llamas ffs and supposedly they are getting bolder.

Like I said, I can't corroborate. I've not seen it but if you have a buffet like that would you fuuck about trying to catch an agile, angry boar/deer?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mushroom said:

Normally Iberian wolves work in small packs. Apparently, (I cannot confirm, as I've not seen with my own eyes) they have started banding up in bigger packs and going on the rampage, like a fox in a coup. It's not just sheep, cows, pets, horses even Llamas ffs and supposedly they are getting bolder.

Like I said, I can't corroborate. I've not seen it but if you have a buffet like that would you fuuck about trying to catch an agile, angry boar/deer?

Defo not, why chase a wild animal when you can go to the supermarket and get one straight there lol

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

They ain't no cuddly little animal, that's for sure

Defo not Iberian wolves mate... but still, banded together they are just as effective predators ;)

Boar are so prevalent here that they are considered the same as rats in some areas. Just with a couple more laws, in regards to control. Wolves have been protected for a long enough time in certain areas here. Population without control is a bad thing. Didn't the Yank Yellowstone experiment prove this? Seem to remember they had to relocate a load of wolves because they (like Len said ?) went to the supermarket ?‍♂️

3 things good could come from this idea, if people have the balls.

1 - relocate some, good for the species.

2 - hunting money going in local pockets.

3 - relief of a top predator on an environment that can't sustain, without conflict.

• Like 1