Paying jobs.

Guss33

Is there many people out their that get paid for catching rabbits with ferrets as a part time job or even full time. The reason I ask is my phone number in the last 6 months or so has been given out to people who have rabbit problems and are against using poisons and you are unable to shoot on their property as they are small 5 to 10 acres . They have asked on what kind of money they are up for , I am not out to make a million dollars but it would be good to pull in some $$ . And at the moment due to the lockdowns we are having no one has been able to go ferreting down here in Australia and the numbers of rabbits have exploded. The government has now extended our travel and under the new lockdown rules we are able to now go, but only travel distance is 10 km from home.                                                                                       Any advice on what would be the best way to go about it would be greatly appreciated  

Difficult to access what your Australian localised rate should be?

All I would advise, is that you take into consideration your travelling time , cost of fuel etc, and obviously your required $'s for undertaking the job...

Obviously,..rabbit control for wages, is a completely different proposition to hunting for the craic,....it can get kinda, stressful....?

I wish you great success, all the best, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6

Not an ozzie forum mate...

I believe in OZ you have serious laws about animals that are non native. Dogs, ferrets etc, best check local. If you want to make money out of it then as Katch said, dont take the piss and dont be taken for. Make a good name for yourself as a worker, with results;)

• Like 1
On 23/09/2021 at 07:14, OldPhil said:

Difficult to access what your Australian localised rate should be?

All I would advise, is that you take into consideration your travelling time , cost of fuel etc, and obviously your required $'s for undertaking the job...

Obviously,..rabbit control for wages, is a completely different proposition to hunting for the craic,....it can get kinda, stressful....?

I wish you great success, all the best, OldPhil.?

I only have to read the above post from Oldphil to be reminded that whose  employed in rabbit control know that, being paid does without a doubt change the dynamites of everyone evolved & it can become VERY stressful very quickly . Sport(craig)  & paid rabbit work are two different animals ,so that said here is how I look apron it .I never offer anything I cant deliver ,I'm careful as to the type of Jobs I take on ,my operation is dog based and lends its self to smaller blocks and holdings .I don't take on big jobs as my methods wouldn't have the required outcomes for the landowner .I listen oh so very carefully to what the owner tells me .I like to inform  all the neighbours, on what's happening & when so everybody is on the same page . I never work for a unit cost eg price per rabbit ,I charge a good hourly rate as I view myself as semi skilled, Id rather work half the time for reasonable money than be busy for less . I'm honest & forth coming ,if I look at a job & don't think I can handle it I simply say so & everybody moves on .Remember that you are being asked to fix a problem ,a problem the landowner can't do him self ,so take that into account & set a price you are happy with. Give it ago ,what do you have to lose ,good luck  & above all enjoy !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I did paid rabbit control jobs for a while but to me it turned a passion into hard work and took the enjoyment away quite a bit. People whining about you not catching rabbits that don't exist on their land, they see the same one or two in different spots and think they have hundreds, lol. Expecting you to hand over all rabbits caught, insurance, GST. It beats most jobs but I prefer to call all the shots in my hunting time.

• Like 3

I have been doing the odd paying job , and so far most of the people have been understanding that no matter how many rabbits you catch they will always have a problem with them and do understand that some of their problems are also from the properties next door we’re some people like their rabbits and are the main course of their problem. The other one is that a lot of people are against using poisons to control their rabbit problem, the council did go around to quite a few properties that I do for fun and they all refused to go that option of the poison and rather stick with the ferreting lucky for me they are all small hobby farms and not large enough to shoot on.