White rat

May be a really stupid question but how common are white rats ?

I have genuinely never seen one 

Just killed a couple in the barn with the Mk4s and one of them was Snow White.

Clean as well, looked like it had just been in a cage, spotless.

Pet rats, as we know them today, started off as wild colour mutations, caught and kept by old time rat catchers. Not an every day occurrence then. But enough out there that a man exposed to enough rats could make a collection.

Your white one would look so clean simply because it's white. Fact is, practically all wild rats are clean. They're scrupulously fastidious creatures.

• Like 3

My boy said to me the other day, I’ve just seen a white rat and I said “Nah, must have been a stoat…..bit early mind you” 

I have just had to listen to the “I f***ing told you !” Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

I saw an albino rat climb out of a broken sewer pipe when I was a kid in the fifties. I was declared delusional,  so I'm glad you posted the evidence Wilf. I've seen the corpse of an albino badger, a live albino,grey squirrel and a live albino blackbird. It's not that unusual.

I remember reading about a tribe of native American indians which had a very high proportion of albinos amongst them. Geneticists were sent to study the tribe. They found that albino males were spared outdoor work because they found the sun's glare unbearable. They were allowed to stay home with the women. The study was cut short.  No DNA sequencing necessary. Think about it.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, wildman said:

Once caught a pure white mink on the river esk, with northern county mink hounds. One of the huntsmen said that's the first one in 25 years

We get a lot of stoats, Mink and Marten round here.

I used to go up and visit my pal and have hunted a bit around the North Esk, fantastic country round there. 

30 minutes ago, TOMO said:

got to be honest I saw the thread title....saw wilf had started it....and immediately came to the conclusion it was another race type thread...lol..sorry wilf..

No apology needed mate, when someone is as boring and predictable as me it’s only to be expected ?

• Haha 2