AUKUS...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The french made the first 8 geared tank …. Only problem was seven of the gears were reverse …….

Nobody involved with anything military ever thought to themselves “I know, better call France !”     

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Ah! :laugh:

When I returned to THL after a seven year hiatus, I promised myself I would avoid argument and confrontation, and I would treat people with the respect I expect to get myself.

BUT, I reserve the right to treat people, ( both domestic and foreign), who refuse to accept a democratic vote, with the contempt I feel they deserve ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no opinion on this because i don't know anything about it.

I was a alarmed though when some commentators reckoned conflict with China would be more likely as a result of the arrangement. Given Australia and America are not exactly bosom buddies, this does seem a legitimate concern. Although I guess it's our fate to follow the states into any conflict no matter what.

How does Aukus affect our membership of NATO?

15 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I have no opinion on this because i don't know anything about it.

I was a alarmed though when some commentators reckoned conflict with China would be more likely as a result of the arrangement. Given Australia and America are not exactly bosom buddies, this does seem a legitimate concern. Although I guess it's our fate to follow the states into any conflict no matter what.

How does Aukus affect our membership of NATO?

I think where you fall with the effect on the likeliness of conflict with China is weighted heavily by your politics. Does more stick hold adversary at bay or encourage them to attack?

One of the concerns that I read was that it will encourage a regional arms race, with others now wanting SSNs and so further proliferation of high grade nuclear fuel. I’m don’t buy it if I’m honest.

I’d imagine this deal adds weight to the UK brand in such circles as NATO.

Edited by Born Hunter
5 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Not exactly bosom buddies of China I meant gents.

Make no doubt about it, this is very blatantly and clearly a reaction to China’s actions. This wouldn’t be happening if China weren’t a concern to AUS. It’s the only reason in fact. AUS are really signalling to the world they are going to stand their ground.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 4

I'm no submarine expert but after watching three episodes of 'vigil' I think that British subs are shite. So far one guy burnt his hand on a steam pipe, one guys been poisoned and they narrowly missed a nuclear meltdown! A very poor showing by the royal navy and putting it on TV is just showing the rest of the world how piss poor we really are. Having said that I thought that suranne jones and that ginger bird lezzing it up in a roll top bath was a nice touch.

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

:laugh: 

To be fair though they are actually very good at making stuff. They’re unreliable partners in projects but they have produced some good kit.

But when we’re talking nuclear subs, the UK/US are the worlds best. Though again the french are probably every bit as capable with the reactors.

The French defence industry are in deep merd. They thought Musk was a clown, but he's taken all their lucrative miltary satellite business and the Arien rocket upgrade is a massive liability. It is overdue, over priced (there is a theme here), and now does not suit the loads it was designed to carry. Basically it is redundant before it is finalised. The rocket builders are Airbus who have taken a massive hit with the airline business goint tits up due to Covid. Airbus may well go under as a result. They are laying off thousands of staff. This impacts on their nuclear submarines and ships as Airbus make the rockets and oversee the warhead servicing and transfers between boats. No wonder Le Petit Empereur threw his teddy out of the pram with the Aussies cancelling their order. 

I wouldn't give toupee for his chances of getting re-elected.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

The French defence industry are in deep merd. They thought Musk was a clown, but he's taken all their lucrative miltary satellite business and the Arien rocket upgrade is a massive liability. It is overdue, over priced (there is a theme here), and now does not suit the loads it was designed to carry. Basically it is redundant before it is finalised. The rocket builders are Airbus who have taken a massive hit with the airline business goint tits up due to Covid. Airbus may well go under as a result. They are laying off thousands of staff. This impacts on their nuclear submarines and ships as Airbus make the rockets and oversee the warhead servicing and transfers between boats. No wonder Le Petit Empereur threw his teddy out of the pram with the Aussies cancelling their order. 

I wouldn't give toupee for his chances of getting re-elected.

The french are antagonistic b*****ds but I do hope they find their feet. They’re a serious player in the Europe and indeed globally. There are states that make better allies and industry partners to the uk but few who have the same full spectrum capability. And the West needs that.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

The french are antagonistic b*****ds but I do hope they find their feet. They’re a serious player in the Europe and indeed globally. There are states that make better allies and industry partners to the uk but few who have the same full spectrum capability. And the West needs that.

Once Macron is gone France will act differently to the UK. It is only the Brexit aspect that is souring Anglo-French relations at government levels. The French people are pro-British. It is only the French government that hates the UK and that is purely down to the UK cash cow having left the EU's control. People still haven't grasped the massive impact Brexit is having on the EU and how much it will negativly influence the EU's future strategy. 

France is going through the same industrial hardships that the UK did in the 1970's. Unions are too strong and the money is running out. Renault need bailing out as do Airbus and if will be interesting to see whether the French break EU rules on state aid like the Germans did. 

• Like 4