17 HMR .22 lr noise

Interesting yesterday afternoon, out shooting 17 HMR and .22lr . Opposite where i was shooting a cow field with about 16 cows in it . Shooting the HMR they carried on chewing grass , like cows do .

Changed over to .22 lr  , shooting Norma subs which are very quiet and every time I shot it , cows got spooked . Shooting in the same position as the HMR .

Anyone found the same when shooting with these two Cals ?

Yes definitely bouncers of the hill sides and building, but seems animals don’t hear the noise. Yesterday shooting near chicken sheds and the noise bouncing of-the buildings  , you would of thought everything would of ran but they didn’t and like I said cows carrying on eating grass 

• Like 1

Could be they hear the LR hit the ground / target near them which acuses them to spook whereas the noise of the hmr disguises the sound of the bullet impact and just sounds like a far off bang, especially as it's not too noisy comparitevly to start with. Be interesting to see if an unsupressed lr has the same effect in which case there might be some bullet weight influence as well.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, goldfinger said:

I'm sure its the impact thump of the .22 when it hits the rabbit, the noise is generated more local nearer to the living quarry not being hit, so they get spooked because generally its the only noise they hear. ?

That’s it, and they don’t associate the crack of hmr with danger. I’ve had the the with .22 high velocity rounds as well, shoot one with subsonic and the others run as there’s no other sound but the impact.