Vitamins and supplements

As part of my new healthy lifestyle I'm trying to look at everything I consume. 

Trying to cut out processed food, cheap unaccountable meat and added sugar/salt. Trying to eat a more natural and varied diet. 

Obviously with both the covid stuff and family history of heart attack I want to reduce obvious risks and promote immune system. 

So what vitamins or supplements do people take? Are they needed? Are the cheap home brands as good as the health food shop premium ones? 

I fancy something for joint health because of the bones I've smashed and all the drystone walling and mole trapping in artic conditions I did in the past. 

So far I've picked up some dissolvable vitamin D tablets and I'm having manuka honey on fruit and Greek yogurt as a breakfast option. Lemon and ginger green tea with added vitamin C before bed. Oh and caffeine shampoo on my bald spot ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vitamin C with Zinc is best for boosting your immune system. In general I've found magnesium really helpful for generally having a bit more energy and sleeping better, which of course has a positive e

Well for joints a bit of cod liver oil, gets you omega 3 too. Hydration is often overlooked for immunity and joints ?

I think most of it is a load of bollocks, unless you're deficient of something you likely get enough in your diet. 

Posted Images

Hey up matey ever since my lady passed I've done nowt but eat junk food ready meals from the supermarket ? can't remember when I ate fresh fruit n veg and dunna mention mcdonalds my fridge freezer is full of shite so yesterday because of the above I went into boots chemist and got some multi vitamins maybe to late at my age I dunno not much use this message to you I don't suppose   but look mate you've started on summat positive in your life keep it up and good luck.. I'm. About to do bacon sarnie fcuk it 

• Haha 1

Vitamin C with Zinc is best for boosting your immune system. In general I've found magnesium really helpful for generally having a bit more energy and sleeping better, which of course has a positive effect on your immune system as well ? 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, lurchergrrl said:

Vitamin C with Zinc is best for boosting your immune system. In general I've found magnesium really helpful for generally having a bit more energy and sleeping better, which of course has a positive effect on your immune system as well ? 

7 hours ago, Borr said:

Well for joints a bit of cod liver oil, gets you omega 3 too. Hydration is often overlooked for immunity and joints ?

Could not agree more with Lurchergrrl and Borr.

Zinc and Vitamin C I swear by it seems to keep the Colds away. Cod liver oil also has Vitamin A & D I take the soft gel ones as they don't repeat on me. I was taking Turmeric and Black Pepper supposed to be good foe Arthritis but I've run out and keep forgetting to get some more. When you get them joint pains you will try anything wears you down a bit sometimes. 

Anybody on here tried Devils Claw for Arthritis I haven't yet but some people rate it?

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I take three 1000mg omega 3 fish oil capsules a day as it supposed to be good for the brain I also take a active memory tablet that’s got ginkgo biloba, Vitamin E, folic acid, vitamin b12 in along with a couple of others. I mainly concentrate on brain food supplements as I’ve had brain surgery and IMO my memory is shit. So anything that may I help I gladly take.

i definitely feel the benefits of the fish oil. I’ve got a mate that’s mad keen on taking supplements and looks after his general health. His doctor told him that the cheap home brand supplements are as good has any other.

• Like 1

Agree with what's already been said.. especially regarding Megnesium.

I eat decently to be honest but still take a multi vit/ mineral just as in insurance policy... any surplus my body doesn't need.. will just get pissed out, so no big deal.

Vitamin D is big obvious one to pay attention to especially in the winter months when we might not be getting the exposure to the sun that our bodies need to produce it. Had a fella at work Christmas before last and he was no how, absolutely rock bottom and running on one cylinder for a couple of weeks, so out of character for him, before his mrs pursuaded him to visit the doc's. Quick blood test later and it showed his vit D levels were virtually non existant!!

They whacked him on a super high dose and it sooned pulled him out of the hole he was in.

Also I'm trying to prioritise good quality sleep. That's another topic altogether!!

This is well worth a listen to on the sleep front...

I'm currently taking these mate...

20210919_192425.jpg.3c376d2b2c414c34cc0cfebf7f7ad5ac.jpg

• Like 2

I'm having a spoon full of manuka honey on my fruit in a morning with natural yogurt. One of these dissolvable vit D tablets. Was going to add a vitamin C one as well and a glucosamine /cod liver oil for joints. 

I don't want to get silly with it cos I'm eating healthy at the minute. I reckon it can't do any harm though 

IMG_20210922_184140.jpg

27 minutes ago, Francie said:

I think I asked this before,are these supplements synthetic?

I guess it's a mine field really. I'm cutting processed food out my diet then popping random pills. 

Saw something in the news this morning about how fruit juice can cause cancer. Just got to eat plenty fruit and veg and keep active...everything else is a gamble