Terriers how many digs in a single season

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I broke through to find him stiff he was only 5 and mute but to hard for his own good.I don’t know if he has a fit or something,I let my young dog in to finish them off it was 2 foxes and it was blizz

Who the f**k keeps 20 terriers?I only ever needed 2 decent workers when I was out at least twice a week as Id always pretty much be hunting with at least one sometimes two other lads that also had ter

Cheers mate I’ve just got these 4 now and they are firery little feckers

Posted Images

Nothing to do with being less of a digging man . I used to be out a lot over a lot of ground and had 2 steady workers and 2 mute mid tube jobs. My mate had a few dogs so we alternated . If I only had rough dogs I would have needed a lot of dogs to get round the digging I did. A rough dog will obviously get way less graft than a steadier dog who can be dug a few times a day . But u have to work with what u have. If someone wants to keep 20 terriers good luck to em. Each individual dog won t get the digs under his belt unless the owner has a shit load of digging and no work or nagging mrs lol. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
On 19/09/2021 at 17:41, lurchers said:

I used to get 4 digs a years out of old border dogs as they never new how to take things steady,but my border bitch was more sensible so got a good few with her.

My mates had stuff  yrs ago..out of a litter of 9,only 2 made old bones...and that was because they went to folks at the stables for some ratting.. used to cringe breaking through to the dogs?they be in some f***ing shapes?never learnt any manners... the bitches would settle down after a few seasons? I had a first X border/lakie bitch...killed a 4 yr old black bitch at 11 months old,last time I ever kennelled 2 dogs/bitches together..I sent her down to a keeper near Dartmoor ,she would kill any fox she went too,she went blind at 6/7 and still lived for it...she was harder than most dogs?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

My mates had stuff  yrs ago..out of a litter of 9,only 2 made old bones...and that was because they went to folks at the stables for some ratting.. used to cringe breaking through to the dogs?they be in some f***ing shapes?never learnt any manners... the bitches would settle down after a few seasons? I had a first X border/lakie bitch...killed a 4 yr old black bitch at 11 months old,last time I ever kennelled 2 dogs/bitches together..I sent her down to a keeper near Dartmoor ,she would kill any fox she went too,she went blind at 6/7 and still lived for it...she was harder than most dogs?

I broke through to find him stiff he was only 5 and mute but to hard for his own good.I don’t know if he has a fit or something,I let my young dog in to finish them off it was 2 foxes and it was blizzarding like hell,the young dog was 11mths and turning out the same way as the old dog

10692A94-4D42-482E-9D48-C7EB0480B86E.png

52B0060D-8421-4CCC-95C5-94533376DAE2.png

• Like 13
14 hours ago, lurchers said:

I broke through to find him stiff he was only 5 and mute but to hard for his own good.I don’t know if he has a fit or something,I let my young dog in to finish them off it was 2 foxes and it was blizzarding like hell,the young dog was 11mths and turning out the same way as the old dog

10692A94-4D42-482E-9D48-C7EB0480B86E.png

52B0060D-8421-4CCC-95C5-94533376DAE2.png

Had a mate who used to dig with us years back that kept Border Terriers, yours dogs have that same look of intent in their eyes that CB’s dogs had and his were outright working dogs that just lived for the graft, lovely to see them like that, atb

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Had a mate who used to dig with us years back that kept Border Terriers, yours dogs have that same look of intent in their eyes that CB’s dogs had and his were outright working dogs that just lived for the graft, lovely to see them like that, atb

The young dog in the pic has a funny attitude on him but ya can more or less see what he is going to do,before he nips ya I only do a bit ratting with them now but if I let them drop on I will still dig to them but I try to keep away from them spots now.

• Like 1

I’ve got a parkes bred mam to a patterdale dog here now 9 he is and over the years he maybe only been dug to 40 times but he stays till job done every time some lads might dig that to one dog in a couple of seasons but he keeps me happy atb longers01 

5934EF52-7D3D-435E-8939-C89A9772D753.jpeg

9E33A831-5CF8-47FF-838C-DAC0BF451516.jpeg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, longers01 said:

I’ve got a parkes bred mam to a patterdale dog here now 9 he is and over the years he maybe only been dug to 40 times but he stays till job done every time some lads might dig that to one dog in a couple of seasons but he keeps me happy atb longers01 

5934EF52-7D3D-435E-8939-C89A9772D753.jpeg

9E33A831-5CF8-47FF-838C-DAC0BF451516.jpeg

And that’s the most important thing being happy with your own dog ?, he looks a handy tyke for sure, atb

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 1
On 19/09/2021 at 19:32, lurchers said:

I do mate yes but I can’t dig no more as my knees and back are knackered,I will always keep them but I keep the working abilities still in them.

Are they still down off the old stuff you had that you used to dig to? Not many working borders about nowadays . Some of those Levi Oakes terriers looked handy animals in there day. Atb sionnach 

5 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

Are they still down off the old stuff you had that you used to dig to? Not many working borders about nowadays . Some of those Levi Oakes terriers looked handy animals in there day. Atb sionnach 

No mate but I know the stuff they are through.Levi Oakes still had a good few that failed but I’ve some of them that are firery to.My young dog is the father to the blue and tan pup and the lad I got him off used to  do a lot when he was younger.Most of us who have them now are getting on a bit or selfs.

Edited by lurchers
  • Like 1