Terriers how many digs in a single season

So lads we often see many with 20 plus terriers in a yard, so let's take out the obvious I no few in particular of you take out the pups the first seasoners and any there you call retired, working terriers, how many digs should a single terrier have in a season? Does this make the boys with a yard full less of a digging man? For arguementscsake season from end Sept to March 7 months max 20 terriers 20 digs a season is 400 digs, surely they can't all be aswell tested as the man with six or eight workers on the ground, your thoughts please 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I broke through to find him stiff he was only 5 and mute but to hard for his own good.I don’t know if he has a fit or something,I let my young dog in to finish them off it was 2 foxes and it was blizz

Who the f**k keeps 20 terriers?I only ever needed 2 decent workers when I was out at least twice a week as Id always pretty much be hunting with at least one sometimes two other lads that also had ter

Cheers mate I’ve just got these 4 now and they are firery little feckers

Posted Images

I got one here who got dug to once last year :laugh: but got as many foxes to her name as any other terrier iv'e had,nothing more than a 10 min wonder but by feck she can bolt them and as it goes i got 2 new shoots to work her on where the owners don't like any digging being done. So this year the number of holes i'm looking at digging is a big feck all really :D...

• Like 1

U can’t put a number on how many digs another mans dog should have. It Depends on there working style. Whoever owns the dog will know how they work and will know how much he can and would like to get out of it in the season.  U can only dig them when there fit to be dug. 

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, sionnach99 said:

U can’t put a number on how many digs another mans dog should have. It Depends on there working style. Whoever owns the dog will know how they work and will know how much he can and would like to get out of it in the season.  U can only dig them when there fit to be dug. 

Your missing the point, take style of work out of the equation, if you have a yard full of dogs how tested are they all If they are not getting a decent amount in the season,I reckon keep few and dig plenty rather than keep plenty dig less often, surely those with a yard full who class themselves as proper terrier lads must have a high fail rate to keep so many 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Fox dog said:

Your missing the point, take style of work out of the equation, if you have a yard full of dogs how tested are they all If they are not getting a decent amount in the season,I reckon keep few and dig plenty rather than keep plenty dig less often, surely those with a yard full who class themselves as proper terrier lads must have a high fail rate to keep so many 

Mostly its for peddling purposes 

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Fox dog said:

I agree with you. Also agree with Chesney, they are probably breeding them for the €€€€

• Like 2
9 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

20 hours ago, Fox dog said:

So lads we often see many with 20 plus terriers in a yard, so let's take out the obvious I no few in particular of you take out the pups the first seasoners and any there you call retired, working terriers, how many digs should a single terrier have in a season? Does this make the boys with a yard full less of a digging man? For arguementscsake season from end Sept to March 7 months max 20 terriers 20 digs a season is 400 digs, surely they can't all be aswell tested as the man with six or eight workers on the ground, your thoughts please 

Seems an irrelevant question imo, all depends on how the terrier goes about its occupation, a steady baying tyke gonna be more fit and able throughout the season so should therefore be able to cope with a bigger workload, its always been that way, always will be that way, nothing to do with how many somebody keeps in their yard, because of the law as it is today somebody keeping twenty terriers in his yard probably got a yard full of show ponies...just a thought

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Seems an irrelevant question imo, all depends on how the terrier goes about its occupation, a steady baying tyke gonna be more fit and able throughout the season so should therefore be able to cope with a bigger workload, its always been that way, always will be that way, nothing to do with how many somebody keeps in their yard, because of the law as it is today somebody keeping twenty terriers in his yard probably got a yard full of show ponies...just a thought

There's lads that have them numbers that's my point, you say Bayer, hard find good Bayer now days 

• Like 1