Fox populations

55 minutes ago, dogmad riley said:

Was out on good land the other nyt, when we bumped into a shooter with a thermal, he had shot 40 with in 2 months ?? on the same bit of land. 

We used see plenty now nothing. 

Sick of seeing badgers though

Should of poked him in the eye and ran off laughing 

• Haha 1

Plenty round me, despite the keepers and rifle boys smashing them. They are amazing animals really just seem to thrive no matter what a bit like coyotes in the states. The harder you hit them the harder they seem to come back. The way they thrive in towns is a testament to their adaptability 

In our area we seem to have lost a lot of fox & badger in the last 6 months. I haven't seen a badger in 3 years & only the occasional fox. There has been a lot of shooting. The only pests that seem to be growing in numbers are mink. I hope to see more in the coming season. 

Numbers are half decent round me.. I know of two dens that have had kits this year within half a mile of where I live. 

Fields here aren't shot as much as where I grew up though so I reckon they get more of chance.

Funny story from last month; took the dogs on a daytime mooch around some new fields I found. Had a minute leaning against a 5 bar, on a wee track, looking out over a field. 2 or 3 minutes passes and I hear a wee rustle of crunching grass behind me and turned to see a dog fox, not 10ft away from my bitch, stalking his way down the track, gaze fixed on her. Soon as I turned my big lad spun after him and legged him into a hedgerow, thing yelping like a stuck pig. 

Never seen anything like it before. He must've known it were a dog, but my guess was he felt hungry and figured she was small enough to consider as a tackle. Crazy cos rabbit and hare numbers here are through the fecking roof and he can't be going hungry.

Anyone ever seen similar?

Going through our village I see a couple most evenings if just having a normal evening walk. I’ve noticed over the years there’s less an less on the land come season time an that’s not because everyone has a good dog there running. there’s still a few green uns about at the beginning these easy pickings are gone by a couple of months in to the season they get hammered by every hunting folk legal or illegal what ever is left is hard going or very weary ive noticed because there seems to be less rabbits on the land in turn less predators on the land the last 3-4yrs ive notice that the spike in birds of prey reached a high then has tailed off ive also noticed fox numbers in rural areas are hit an miss but to be honest why would a fox bother being on rural land areas on Barron land like a desert when urban areas like towns offer easy pickings of food.