Where's Kanny?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice one Ken looks like your keeping busy and having fun with it don't forget to leave gaps for hinges or do you plan  on fitting the doors after  either way is fine,  you could get away without joint

I Don't Fukking BELIEVE This!!!!! Got up bright and early. Kitchen a wasteland of tools and a couple of scraps of 2 x 1. I've got Nothing in the World to do, but work on my cupboard. I'm fresh ou

Well, I expected my hinges to arrive today. Got my new Opinel and a dreadful pair of knee pads instead! Chucking the knee pads out ~ not worth the hassle of trying to return them. " Wright Fit ".

Posted Images

I Likey! :D Up and at it. Made a brew and couldn't resist craftily trying a 'door' into the frame, from behind. Just to see how much alteration might be needed, now that they're all back panelled and 'set in stone' as it were.

Ooh! It's good! 90% plus perfectly flush fit! Just a little kiss, with the plane, across an end stub and that door will be ready to Front!

Must admit; I haven't really thought that far ahead yet! :icon_redface: No way to work, I know. But, it's my nature to 'Progress Freely', shall we say? (" Wing It " may be another term that springs to mind?)

I find, this way, I can function with more fluidity. Addressing niggles as they may arise. I find this organic approach so much more 'reassuring' than the prospect of ever discovering a piece of wood is 3mm too short and realising;

" OMFG! Now I've fukked it, completely! Nothing for it but to rip it all apart and start again from scratch! " ?

Another half a dozen mugs of strong tea, while my full faculties muster and get their shit together. Then, portable drill and countersink.

I'll just bore a 'dimple' in my chin. Then it'll be steely gaze on the horizon and firm hand on the tiller time again.

You got a dimple, Kanny? Just wondering.

Not up to Your standards, obviously! :D But, I don't think it's a bad effort, thus far.

P9210002.JPG.01e1a345844bd3f7f762ec6444ecc21a.JPG

Time to sit back and take stock now. There's a Lot of work ahead of me. I have to figure out what's to be next.

Those doors need to be panelled. So, where does that leave the hinges? Maybe I'd better wait till I have those first?

Panelling itself will, of course, cover a multitude of sins. So long as I get That dead right. It's the panelling you'll be looking at.

Also, as I now have this immaculate 2/3 of a sheet of gorgeous 9mm ply blocking up my tool room? I can't help thinking That would make a far nicer counter top base than the rough deal planks currently on there.

All that, of course, decrees the eventual Height of the vertical panels! Can't do shit till That's worked out then. And That will really require the presence of my ceramic tiles! Ugh!

Nope. Thinking about it? I suppose I'd better turn my attention to another project entirely. Always gives me time to look for the right paint, of course.

But, yeah. There's lengths, thicknesses and trims to be figured out yet. It's not like I have any blue print to work from. Paint? Tiles? Hinges? Some fukking serious enough money there alone! Only a week or so till pension day though :)

Plenty else to be getting on with round here. Raising that futon's in the back of my mind .... But, so is my fukking back! :no:

Those blocks are all going to be covered with tongue and groove panelling. Vertical. The doors are to be faced with the same. But angled. Here's a shot I took, today, precisely to show a mate the sort of angle I'm talking about:

767549986_8.DoorsBacked...JPG.7a21cd7e54ac56bec45cf6df5f02ba92.JPG

The opposite doors, they'll be angled the other way. Forming a steeple effect in the middle. It'll look fukking delish'! :D

• Like 2

:wallbash: Oh well. Mustn't grumble .....

Not seen my neighbour for a week or more now. Didn't like to bother him. But, I've had a bit of a fukking day of it ~ trying to deal with Bosch! So, what the fukk:

" Hullo, mate. Do you know of This retail park, over in the next county? Ye do? Well, That's handy, for a start. Only, what it is; There's a shop there, got a box of black tiles I'm after. Possibly the last box on the fukking planet. I was wondering if ..... Next time you find yeself over that way ....? "

" You were there on Friday? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Oh, well ..... "

FFS!!! ?

On 16/09/2021 at 21:43, Ken's Deputy said:

and talking of hinges? What I'd have absolutely loved are These!!!

Untitled.jpg.cbb455dfdd3b563c276f64d377b63568.jpg

But, fukk my boots! £5.50 each (I need Eight of them!) And the shipping for One is Seventeen quid!!! :shok: Fukk Me!!!!!

Anyway, I console myself with the simple fact that, at four inches a pop? They're much too much hinge for my little doors. Two inch would be to die for.

I'll keep looking.

On 17/09/2021 at 09:37, Ken's Deputy said:
WWW.DOORHANDLECOMPANY.CO.UK

H pattern hinges are classically used on traditional cabinets with the hinge exposed. Placed on the outside of the door the hinge is...

^^^ Bought. Paid for. (£38.00 delivered) On their way! :boogy:

Oh! And my neighbour was round the other day? He asked to see my 'cupboard' and asked if this was what I needed black, ceramic tiles for. I affirmed and he, basically, said; 'Leave it with me.'!

He clearly knows someone I don't. I guess my tiles could now materialise at any time then?!

That's great too. Because, only today, I asked myself why I'm not keeping busy, putting the horizontal panels on? Then I remembered! I need the exact height to cut them to. And That'll be determined my the finish of the counter top!

So, it'll probably be, pretty much: Get the tiles. Cut (Reinforce?) a fresh, ply top. Tile it and put it aside. Then, I can safely work away on all the panelling, knowing what height to work to. Eventually pretty much just popping the counter top back on :)

Hinges and tiles in the pipe line then? Time to start focusing on the paint now! 'Forest Green', I'm thinking ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I expected my hinges to arrive today. Got my new Opinel and a dreadful pair of knee pads instead!

Chucking the knee pads out ~ not worth the hassle of trying to return them. " Wright Fit ". Avoid them at all costs! Or any like them. They're a generic style on Amazon.  :(

Anyway, having got That off my chest! Mate of mine, on line, had specifically asked to see the doors. Dunno why. But, as I finally got them pretty well 'fully' fitted, today, I took a shot. Thought I'd may as well show it here.

Hinges'll probably be here tomorrow. Then, I have to sort the bloody catches out! Hadn't thought of that! :doh: 

Found These, last night:

Untitled.jpg.430083ee20f45358b8aff6550f37dc62.jpg

Guts of Another fifty fukking quid then? At this rate, I'd may as well have paid Kanny to make me one!!!

Nothing written in stone yet though. Might end up with magnetic catches, inside, and some fort of knob handles? Dunno. I am a bit concerned that those, above, won't fit symmetrically.

Anyway, thinking aloud again, as my back kills me.

Here it is, thus far. Thinking of a quadrant bead, round the bottom. Sort of planning to tie in the colour of any trim with the grout of the tiles. Early days yet:

PA040005.JPG.7586b70494990e12945538fb8976ec47.JPG

Better than a pile of blocks, anyway ?

• Like 6
51 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? That looks very nice.

If ye sort of squint a bit, just don't look Too hard? It's coming along okay, mate ;)

Much more importantly? It's keeping me happily occupied and, at the end of the day, it will be Practical. Hope it'll look quite nice too. Serve its purpose, anyway.

Don't sell yeself short either. The gifts you've got can't be learned off you tube.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

:boogy:Shit's Finally coming together!!! After an absolutely fukking Horrific hour, back and forthing with various lunatics at B&Q, up and down the country, I've got a box of black tiles coming. And I'm getting my grout off Amazon!

They'll be here middle of next week. Bit of luck, it'll be about then that my Handles arrive too! I've gone for some simple, rustic, plain black iron 'Bow' handles from " The Rustic Merchant ". Got four tiny little, internal, catches locally too.

I'm going with the Beige grout, after all. Last second decision. Have two bits of angle trim here. One's a darker, browner wood. Other's plain, 'white' wood.

Held them both against the green of the cupboard ~ Oh! I haven't even told ye yet! I've Painted it!!! And the green's fukking Gorgeous! :toast: I went for Johnstones " Country Club ". Not as 'Black Green' as Racing. Darker than Emerald though. Fukking perfect!

Yeah. And, to my amazement, the lighter wood had it, hands down! So, I've gone with the beige grout and shall be looking for a lighter paint for the trims.

I'd love to show ye the green. But, all the doors are laying inside the cupboard now. I soon realised paint takes for ever to dry, in these conditions. So, no point putting fingers on it till I fit the ironwork.

Then, I'll probably not be able to resist showing it with the doors on! :D

• 3 months later...