Where's Kanny?

:D Got to show ye this, mate! You're my inspiration after all. I'm constantly getting two bits of wood to fit together with a whisper and thinking; " That's how Kanny'd do it! " :laugh:

I've had this manky fukking glory hole, in my kitchen, for years now. Completely utilitarian. Always gave me somewhere to put the kettle and fiddle about with food ~ as long as it never touched the hardboard counter top! :icon_eek:

1024995498_1.TheInnocentBeginning.JPG.4deabcc04234c057ec51312ec2ac91a9.JPG

Well. I've finally had a gut full of the fukking thing and decided, quite arbitrarily, to do something about it. First thing was to make those blocks more amenable to being worked with. Without popping out all over the place.

175139168_4.TheHiddenTruth!.JPG.8efb2a4043d443574a90815ff33969f1.JPG

All clever stuff, eh? Ye can tell there's a hidden Engineer just dying to break out of this old Rat Catcher!

Next bit was to make the first frame, to hold the two doors, for that top hole. I used wood glue. Long pins. And a variety of, frankly, just not suitable clamps! I then left my creation to dry, over night. Sleeping in a cold sweat!

1376978273_5.FrameClamped.JPG.93ec6c9ad3866132ff5b0fe49683e070.JPG

Turns out the fear was justified. Because, the moment I touched it, this morning? It fell over and clattered to the floor in four bits of fukking wood!!! ?

Do I Sound like the sort of Disciple to simply sit amongst the wreckage and cry in self pity?! Fukk, no! I thought; " What would Kanny do? " And set about it with a vengeance!

Know what? I rather surprised myself! I mean, okay; No dove tails or fancy joint work. I'm still just a fukkin' old chancer, having a go. But; So far, so good? (The frame's fixed in. Door frames are just sat in there. Have to join them next. Think I'll use fukking screws, this time! ?)

P9160001.JPG.b01f9cbd744ed634b32e1fe2ca89a89d.JPG

Be gentle with me! I'm quite chuffed with myself! :boogy:Not exactly a wasted morning, anyway.

(Oh! And, don't worry: The hatchet's for chopping up the dogs meat! ?)

• Like 2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice one Ken looks like your keeping busy and having fun with it don't forget to leave gaps for hinges or do you plan  on fitting the doors after  either way is fine,  you could get away without joint

I Don't Fukking BELIEVE This!!!!! Got up bright and early. Kitchen a wasteland of tools and a couple of scraps of 2 x 1. I've got Nothing in the World to do, but work on my cupboard. I'm fresh ou

Well, I expected my hinges to arrive today. Got my new Opinel and a dreadful pair of knee pads instead! Chucking the knee pads out ~ not worth the hassle of trying to return them. " Wright Fit ".

Posted Images

Well, horror of fukking horrors!!! I've just run out of wood and, on carefully measuring, noting and calculating; Would ye believe I need another eleven and a half foot of that 2 x 1!!! Fukking length's fourteen foot! At least I won't have much wastage left over! :icon_eek:

On top of that? I've just had to shell out over forty quid on a pair of clamps, to hold these door frames together while I drill and screw them! No muck 'n rubbish, 'mind you:

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Wolfcraft EHZ 100-450 One-Hand Clamp PRO 3032000 | Powerful Clamps to Clamp Workpieces Professionally with Just One Hand |...

I'm given to believe that, next to Record, these are the 'one handed' absolute bollocks.

Un fukking believable, when I think of it, what this damn thing's costing me! ? Worth every penny though. Because the pure enjoyment of the many challenges, and managing to actually do shit like cut a bit of wood with deadly accuracy (Funny how this shit comes with age) is fukkin priceless!

Only pissed off that my clamps won't be here till Monday now. Give me time to sort that wood out though, and have a think on what my next steps should be.

9 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Well, horror of fukking horrors!!! I've just run out of wood and, on carefully measuring, noting and calculating; Would ye believe I need another eleven and a half foot of that 2 x 1!!! Fukking length's fourteen foot! At least I won't have much wastage left over! :icon_eek:

On top of that? I've just had to shell out over forty quid on a pair of clamps, to hold these door frames together while I drill and screw them! No muck 'n rubbish, 'mind you:

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Wolfcraft EHZ 100-450 One-Hand Clamp PRO 3032000 | Powerful Clamps to Clamp Workpieces Professionally with Just One Hand |...

I'm given to believe that, next to Record, these are the 'one handed' absolute bollocks.

Un fukking believable, when I think of it, what this damn thing's costing me! ? Worth every penny though. Because the pure enjoyment of the many challenges, and managing to actually do shit like cut a bit of wood with deadly accuracy (Funny how this shit comes with age) is fukkin priceless!

Only pissed off that my clamps won't be here till Monday now. Give me time to sort that wood out though, and have a think on what my next steps should be.

Keeping yourself busy my friend good for your mental. Wellbeing   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kanny said:

Nice one Ken looks like your keeping busy and having fun with it don't forget to leave gaps for hinges or do you plan  on fitting the doors after  either way is fine,  you could get away without jointing the door frames  by simply glueing them to a panel the same size ,im all for making things easy lol, anyway your call nothing wrong with filling your day either. 

Funnily enough I've been working on a larder myself  ?

20210521_124332.jpg

20210521_124259.jpg

Shit ! IKEA? 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, kanny said:

you could get away without jointing the door frames  by simply glueing them to a panel the same size

:notworthy: Yo Da Man!!! Frankly? I was fukking terrified! I don't have a drill press and, short of trying to accurately push Two and half, three inch screws through and into 2 x 1" (Sixteen Fukking Times, without a mistake!) I was resigned ~ just as bad, really! ~ to pushing a wider pilot hole. Then using a long, thin bit to make the screw hole, for a shorter screw at the bottom of that.

Even typing it makes me feel like a delusional lunatic! :rolleyes: What the hell was I thinking?!

What thickness of ply, for the back panels? 1/4" ? If I ring the shop first thing in the morning, they might be able to get a sheet of ply and my length of two be to me tomorrow. That'd mean I could keep going

Oh, and talking of hinges? What I'd have absolutely loved are These!!!

Untitled.jpg.cbb455dfdd3b563c276f64d377b63568.jpg

But, fukk my boots! £5.50 each (I need Eight of them!) And the shipping for One is Seventeen quid!!! :shok: Fukk Me!!!!!

Anyway, I console myself with the simple fact that, at four inches a pop? They're much too much hinge for my little doors. Two inch would be to die for.

I'll keep looking.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:notworthy: Yo Da Man!!! Frankly? I was fukking terrified! I don't have a drill press and, short of trying to accurately push Two and half, three inch screws through and into 2 x 1" (Sixteen Fukking Times, without a mistake!) I was resigned ~ just as bad, really! ~ to pushing a wider pilot hole. Then using a long, thin bit to make the screw hole, for a shorter screw at the bottom of that.

Even typing it makes me feel like a delusional lunatic! :rolleyes: What the hell was I thinking?!

What thickness of ply, for the back panels? 1/4" ? If I ring the shop first thing in the morning, they might be able to get a sheet of ply and my length of two be to me tomorrow. That'd mean I could keep going

Oh, and talking of hinges? What I'd have absolutely loved are These!!!

Untitled.jpg.cbb455dfdd3b563c276f64d377b63568.jpg

But, fukk my boots! £5.50 each (I need Eight of them!) And the shipping for One is Seventeen quid!!! :shok: Fukk Me!!!!!

Anyway, I console myself with the simple fact that, at four inches a pop? They're much too much hinge for my little doors. Two inch would be to die for.

I'll keep looking.

8mm upwards for the ply would be sound,  those hinges are a tad overkill you want to be looking at something a bit smaller, cheaper also  ?

• Like 1