Assisted Death.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandad is going through this at the moment . All his life it was my gran and him . She was always blind and partially deaf and he lost his leg in a gun accident as a teenager . They met when young

I think we all have the right to dignity. Personally if I get to the stage where I can’t wipe my own arse and I’m not going to get better and need total care , I’d want out .

My mother died back in 2015 from cancer of the asophicus she was diagnosed in October 2014. She literally starved to death and was only about 3 stone when she went. I have never seen anything like it

32 minutes ago, fireman said:

But that's not what it's about mate,it's about folk who are sound of mind but who soon won't be or they will die in a painful horrid manner.They and there loved ones should have the choice to go when things get to much or when folk really don't know who they are any more, it's a choice for those who don't want to live beyond a certain point and not for those wanting to live at any cost..

to a degree  that allready  aplies  with DNR   ..

My grandad is going through this at the moment . All his life it was my gran and him . She was always blind and partially deaf and he lost his leg in a gun accident as a teenager . They met when young and throughout their life they were a team in everything and everywhere they went . They raised 4 boys with all their problems and in later life they travelled lots and enjoyed life and holidays with us . They made a pact years ago that if one was looking like they were on the way out they would go switzerland together and both go together.  It didnt end up like that because my gran went downhill quickly before she passed . My grandad who had given every aspect of everything in his life to my gran was alone . They lived in the large extention of my parents house that my dad built for them so he still has regular contact every day , my kids go round there and talk kids stuff to him , he still has sunday dinner with my parents every week . It was 10 years ago my gran passed and 5 years ago he had got himself into drinking whiskey all the time to cope . He tried to kill himself somehow by lining himself into the house electrics . It didnt work , he spent time after in a home to recoupirate before he came back determined to not drink and to get on with his life . A month ago on a sunday i got a call from my dad to help him lift my grandad off the floor. He'd tried taking a dive off his wheelchair to end it all . Hed failed again . This last week hes bèen ill health wise and turns out 2 months ago he seen a doctor and hes got a lump somewhere that he refuses to fix and just wants out . Hes now on oral morphine until he hopefully passes . At later points in life i think people deserve the right to go when they want . Its depressing watching a great man fall to bits over the years

• Like 16
38 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

My grandad is going through this at the moment . All his life it was my gran and him . She was always blind and partially deaf and he lost his leg in a gun accident as a teenager . They met when young and throughout their life they were a team in everything and everywhere they went . They raised 4 boys with all their problems and in later life they travelled lots and enjoyed life and holidays with us . They made a pact years ago that if one was looking like they were on the way out they would go switzerland together and both go together.  It didnt end up like that because my gran went downhill quickly before she passed . My grandad who had given every aspect of everything in his life to my gran was alone . They lived in the large extention of my parents house that my dad built for them so he still has regular contact every day , my kids go round there and talk kids stuff to him , he still has sunday dinner with my parents every week . It was 10 years ago my gran passed and 5 years ago he had got himself into drinking whiskey all the time to cope . He tried to kill himself somehow by lining himself into the house electrics . It didnt work , he spent time after in a home to recoupirate before he came back determined to not drink and to get on with his life . A month ago on a sunday i got a call from my dad to help him lift my grandad off the floor. He'd tried taking a dive off his wheelchair to end it all . Hed failed again . This last week hes bèen ill health wise and turns out 2 months ago he seen a doctor and hes got a lump somewhere that he refuses to fix and just wants out . Hes now on oral morphine until he hopefully passes . At later points in life i think people deserve the right to go when they want . Its depressing watching a great man fall to bits over the years

Very sad to end your life so unhappy mate.. 

I wish your family all the best, sad read that..

• Like 2

Caring for loved ones that are I'll or elderly brings us alot of value in life,an pain also.

I can see the point of it,but I'm not for it,as i think it would end in disaster.if it passed then what's the criteria,do you have to be sound of mind or can someone make that decision for you,it sends out the wrong message.

My mom took the hand she was dealt,we looked after her in house for years then just couldnt do it anymore,an she had to go into a home,alot of health problems,but I'm not joking when I say this,I never ever heard my mum complain once,an I mean she went through the mill,she had her own wee room an could get about in the wheel chair an do few wee things for herself,my mum was only 64 when she passed,it was her 6th year anniversary yesterday.

I think it was my mum sn couple others had there wits about them most didnt.

Three of her friends in there passed away over the years an she used to sit way them an talk to them,an tell them everything was gona be alright,cause they used to call out in vain for family members,an she would assist them in getting things an stuff,really broke my heart to see the compassion she had for them,she was in bits herself but still sat with an helped her wee friends whatever way she could.

My point is that she didnt want to go until she was laying on her deathbed before she fell asleep for the last time,she said she wanted to go an she fell asleep an never woke up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

The decision should be in the hands of the poor fecker that is suffering,..its got nothing to do with anyone else...?

Our job, (their job)...is to end the suffering as humanely,.. as is possible...?

Hello look I've said many a time on here I will be glad when the good lord takes me   but its out of my hands cos in on a yellow day release card from the local asylum 

• Haha 1

my dad went at 64 and all his life he enjoyed himself a bit selfish sometimes but it was his life and boy did he live it he liked a good drink the greyhound were two or three meetings a week sometimes more he smoked as much as he wanted in fact he never did anything in moderation, , he was also a grand worker he had a garage a coach company two scrap yards one for ferrous metals the other for non ferrous and he was confined to bed with the cancer  he would say enjoy your life and if you get the chance to have an extra day of it grab it with both hands for you dont know how precious it is until it been taken from you

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Francie said:

Caring for loved ones that are I'll or elderly brings us alot of value in life,an pain also.

I can see the point of it,but I'm not for it,as i think it would end in disaster.if it passed then what's the criteria,do you have to be sound of mind or can someone make that decision for you,it sends out the wrong message.

My mom took the hand she was dealt,we looked after her in house for years then just couldnt do it anymore,an she had to go into a home,alot of health problems,but I'm not joking when I say this,I never ever heard my mum complain once,an I mean she went through the mill,she had her own wee room an could get about in the wheel chair an do few wee things for herself,my mum was only 64 when she passed,it was her 6th year anniversary yesterday.

I think it was my mum sn couple others had there wits about them most didnt.

Three of her friends in there passed away over the years an she used to sit way them an talk to them,an tell them everything was gona be alright,cause they used to call out in vain for family members,an she would assist them in getting things an stuff,really broke my heart to see the compassion she had for them,she was in bits herself but still sat with an helped her wee friends whatever way she could.

My point is that she didnt want to go until she was laying on her deathbed before she fell asleep for the last time,she said she wanted to go an she fell asleep an never woke up.

Everybody's different mine didn't go in a home she passed away at home for the last twelve year I've watched it take everything you take for granted if  your mother wanted everyday she could that's good on her but not everybody thinks that way why shouldn't they have the right to die with dignity 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, twobob said:

Everybody's different mine didn't go in a home she passed away at home for the last twelve year I've watched it take everything you take for granted if  your mother wanted everyday she could that's good on her but not everybody thinks that way why shouldn't they have the right to die with dignity 

15 minutes ago, twobob said:

19 minutes ago, twobob said:

Sorry to hear that twobob,I'm not saying they haven't got the right,just not for me,il suck up whatever the lord has in store,if my ma did it then that's me also,hopefully I wont suffer like alot of people do,its hard going,she was in the home for ten years,she seen 4 grandkids an all that goes way it,if she had of assisted suicide shed of seen none of it.

7 hours ago, big sid said:

can you explain dan as i dont get how uncles and aunts can keep someone going, surely its docs that do that or the persons own body that struggle and fights for survival, ....ps both my parents struggled on longer than i or any members of my family wanted and two of them are doctors,

My Nana took me in and raised me from 11 yrs old, because my mum gave up on me..we were extremely close,I was treated as one of her own,much to her own children's disappointment...I didn't speak to my own mother until 2003...Nana was admitted to hospital after suffering 3 massive heart attacks put on a ventilator...I went in to see her,I was the only one who's name she could remember ?we said our goodbyes and she told me she was ready to go...and they kept on to the docs to keep her going for a few more days...she left us at 11:53pm Christmas eve 2006,will never leave me that?.at 12 o'clock my brothers first born came into the world and boxing day my cousin had twins....I still struggle every yr at that time...my Mrs deserves a medal for putting up with me over the yrs...even when my 3 beautiful children came along..it took a good 10 yrs for me to try enough to enjoy the day...the rest of my family still give me a wide berth..?I disappear on boxing Day out with my dogs...and return for new yr..only way I can stop my head going pal?

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
15 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

My Nana took me in and raised me from 11 yrs old, because my mum gave up on me..we were extremely close,I was treated as one of her own,much to her own children's disappointment...I didn't speak to my own mother until 2003...Nana was admitted to hospital after suffering 3 massive heart attacks put on a ventilator...I went in to see her,I was the only one who's name she could remember ?we said our goodbyes and she told me she was ready to go...and they kept on to the docs to keep her going for a few more days...she left us at 11:53pm Christmas eve 2006,will never leave me that?.at 12 o'clock my brothers first born came into the world and boxing day my cousin had twins....I still struggle every yr at that time...my Mrs deserves a medal for putting up with me over the yrs...even when my 3 beautiful children came along..it took a good 10 yrs for me to try enough to enjoy the day...the rest of my family still give me a wide berth..?I disappear on boxing Day out with my dogs...and return for new yr..only way I can stop my head going pal?

Shit story that mate, I'm same on my boys anniversary. Have to be away from everyone or I can't cope. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My stepdad is on his last legs with pancreatic cancer that’s spread to his lungs now aswell . The doctor and nurses have said probably a couple of days but if he fights it he might last a week and it’s horrible watching it , he’s gone from about 17stone to about 9 since last Christmas and hasnt even got the strength to feed himself or even get out of bed , can’t even sit up or have a wash by himself he’s that weak . If he had the choice about ending it I doubt he’d take it though because he even though he knows he’s dying he told the district nurse yesterday when she asked how he was feeling that he’s dying but he doesn’t want to which is understandable but I think the option should be there for people in that position if they want it .  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

My mother died back in 2015 from cancer of the asophicus she was diagnosed in October 2014. She literally starved to death and was only about 3 stone when she went. I have never seen anything like it in my life, as much as the body was dying it was using all its other resources to survive.

She was perfectly sound of mind and I think if the option was there she may have asked for assisted suicide. After seeing that with my own eyes I believe it should be made a option for seriously ill people. It was nothing short of cruel to let somebody die like she did. I can never get me head around the fact we put animals to sleep but choose to keep our selves alive to suffer.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1