Assisted Death.

After another poll the British Medical Association has dropped it's opposition of assisted dying and have taken a neutral stance on the matter.

Given this change of opinion I think it's now a case of when and not if future law changes come to practice. 

It's a very difficult difficult subject and must say I don't envy those involved. 

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandad is going through this at the moment . All his life it was my gran and him . She was always blind and partially deaf and he lost his leg in a gun accident as a teenager . They met when young

I think we all have the right to dignity. Personally if I get to the stage where I can’t wipe my own arse and I’m not going to get better and need total care , I’d want out .

My mother died back in 2015 from cancer of the asophicus she was diagnosed in October 2014. She literally starved to death and was only about 3 stone when she went. I have never seen anything like it

I'm absolutely 100% in favour of it. I was in hospital just the other week. They brought in this old guy and all he did was scream the fukking place down, till they doped him unconscious.

I nodded his way to the young nurse and simply said: " Thank god I have a shotgun. I still have a choice. "

I think a lot of it is to do with that 'Hippocratic Oath'. To preserve life, no matter absolutely what.

Well, I've seen a bloke, talking to someone on a mobile phone. Only, everything about him from the naval down was smeared across the fukking road he was laying on. Literally just an unrecognisable piece of abstract art.

Now, if that was me, and some kunt rolled up saying, " There, there. We'll get you to the hospital and patch you up. " I'd want my shotgun. And I'd be firing the fukking thing twice!

Stand there, with a gun in your hand, staring down at half a dog that's just met an eighteen wheeler and is screaming its head off? They'll fukking arrest You!

Where's the difference? Did Hippocrates ever actually say: " Absolutely Without ANY Exceptions What So Ever. Totally Regardless. "?

If so, he must have been some sort of a kunt on drugs.

• Like 5

I agree with you mate, went through it all a couple of years ago with both my grandparents. 

But the thing is mate, I or nobody else was to know what was going on in their minds. 

My grandad and grandmother loved life and loved his family, no matter how much suffering he was in who's to say he wasn't enjoying that moment of being alive and with his loved ones?

We all know fully well that our views and opinions are not set in stone, who's to say ones thoughts on death can't change when the pearly gates come knocking? 

Like I said, it's a very difficult subject to discuss and resolve. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 4
56 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I agree with you mate, went through it all a couple of years ago with both my grandparents. 

But the thing is mate, I or nobody else was to know what was going on in their minds. 

My grandad and grandmother loved life and loved his family, no matter how much suffering he was in who's to say he wasn't enjoying that moment of being alive and with his loved ones?

We all know fully well that our views and opinions are not set in stone, who's to say ones thoughts on death can't change when the pearly gates come knocking? 

Like I said, it's a very difficult subject to discuss and resolve. 

When I was younger I had food poisoning. Christ I was ill . The whole experience changed my view on death , as I remember thinking to myself , “ if I’m going to die , let’s hurry up and get it over with , I can’t stand much more of this “. Since then my view is that if I was really ill and in discomfort , death is almost welcome and not to be feared . 
        I might be wrong but pain management for cancer is for most patients good , And in  the final stages of life the patient is effectively put out of their misery by morphine. 
         What is contentious is people with Parkinson’s or MS , who feel that they don’t want to live the life they have . If they  are able to make a rational decision. I think they should be able to have a dignified exit . 

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 7

Lost my dad this year, had a brain hemorrhage, but they resuscitate until they know what's wrong obviously, but he was dead, his breathing and heart strong as an ox he kept going for four days, it gave family a chance to hold his hand etc but I honestly wanted him to go. He was already gone in my eyes. They said he had a tumour on his kidneys, he was a private proud man and I'd rather he went like that than a long drawn out affair requiring care etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

im not really sure about this . ive been in a position were ive seen folk struggle to stay alive , but eventuall y die ive been next to them till they finally died ,i felt then and now they were fighting to live , i dont think i had the right to end there life for them before time ...

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, sid g said:

to wake up every day knowing you`ve not got long left must be the worst thing my mum had terminal cancer lasted 6 months she said she wished she could say her goodbyes and go -- how the fook do you see those last few months out wake up every day with that on your mind ,  local farmer took his own life due to a terminal illness  told him he`d got 2 months to a year got everything in order then ended it , 

It’s funny you say that because I know a few farmers and country people who have been just like that . I have a theory and it applies to my own personal feelings. If you are used to animals being raised, living their lives, going to slaughter. Or if you are close to nature and seeing life perhaps from a practical level , in that we are just animals and we live and we die , forget all the God crap and having spirits , then you might well be inclined to do the same . I have thought about what I’d do . I wouldn’t use a shotgun because I wouldn’t wish anyone to have to clear the mess up . But I don’t want my family to see me shrivel up . 

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I wish that I could of helped my old nana... instead my selfish uncles and aunts kept her going for a week more?

can you explain dan as i dont get how uncles and aunts can keep someone going, surely its docs that do that or the persons own body that struggle and fights for survival, ....ps both my parents struggled on longer than i or any members of my family wanted and two of them are doctors,

Lost my mam beginning of this year after 12 years of dimetia last 5 year rarely  out of bed didn't recognise any of us that's not living don't understand  why we are so scared of assisted death I know she would of opted for it

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, twobob said:

Lost my mam beginning of this year after 12 years of dimetia last 5 year rarely  out of bed didn't recognise any of us that's not living don't understand  why we are so scared of assisted death I know she would of opted for it

Same as that mate my mum has been in a home for the last 2 years, I wouldn’t let my dog live like it would have been pts at the point she went into the home ??

• Like 2
4 hours ago, riohog said:

im not really sure about this . ive been in a position were ive seen folk struggle to stay alive , but eventuall y die ive been next to them till they finally died ,i felt then and now they were fighting to live , i dont think i had the right to end there life for them before time ...

But that's not what it's about mate,it's about folk who are sound of mind but who soon won't be or they will die in a painful horrid manner.They and there loved ones should have the choice to go when things get to much or when folk really don't know who they are any more, it's a choice for those who don't want to live beyond a certain point and not for those wanting to live at any cost..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2