Mortimer and Whitehouse.

Got to confess I've been a bit late to the party as far as this little gem is concerned. I'm not what you'd call a fisherman, so even though it's been on the radar I've not actually watched it until the last couple of weeks (now watched EVERY episode on Iplayer). Not really a fishing program in the sense of Wilson or Hayes, but I probably wouldn't of watched it if it was. Bob Mortimer's childlike excitement when he gets a take or they land a fish is fantastic, the humour, the conversation, the appreciation of their quarry, the despondency when they loose one  and some lovely filming make it a cracking easy watch. "DON'T WIND, DON'T WIND!"........... "I had a cheeky wind then Paul"......bloody hilarious! Problem is watching it has created an itch that I know I'm going to have to scratch. So off the back of two blokes with bad hearts making a program about fishing, it looks like the angling ranks will swell by at least one.

• Like 14

Thats good Stockpot. I think part of the attraction is thats its two mates getting out in the fresh air and having some fun whilst fishing. 

Good luck with the angling. 

Tight Lines

Aled

• Like 1

Similar here. I think I've only ever fished about twice in my whole life (about forty years ago in my teens) but I'm so tempted to take it up as they make it look so much fun. Then again, I think those two could make cleaning toilets look like a good laugh. They're brilliant.

Also, although I'm a solitary type I think fishing would need to be more of a social event for me to enjoy it. My brother does a lot of fishing and he said I'd probably need to take up fly-fishing as I'm not particularly good and sitting down and waiting.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Stockpot said:

Got to confess I've been a bit late to the party as far as this little gem is concerned. I'm not what you'd call a fisherman, so even though it's been on the radar I've not actually watched it until the last couple of weeks (now watched EVERY episode on Iplayer). Not really a fishing program in the sense of Wilson or Hayes, but I probably wouldn't of watched it if it was. Bob Mortimer's childlike excitement when he gets a take or they land a fish is fantastic, the humour, the conversation, the appreciation of their quarry, the despondency when they loose one  and some lovely filming make it a cracking easy watch. "DON'T WIND, DON'T WIND!"........... "I had a cheeky wind then Paul"......bloody hilarious! Problem is watching it has created an itch that I know I'm going to have to scratch. So off the back of two blokes with bad hearts making a program about fishing, it looks like the angling ranks will swell by at least one.

The thing is that Bob just doesn't progress. He's still making the same basic mistakes that Paul pointed out to him at the start of the first series. I think that showed in Paul's face when Bob lost the sea trout a couple of weeks ago.  Hopefully you'll grasp the skills a lot quicker and you will more comfortable with each session. Go with a mate who knows what he is doing and watch and listen to him. Best of luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I like them both as people...funny men in their own rights👍...but by f**k,they are the most boring/irrattable fishermen I've ever had the displeasure to listen too...and I know a few pricks😁

I rekon Paul w been told to hold back he’s extremely funny in them situations and he’s a decent fly angler  he seems a tad silent in his normal  dry fishing  humour  but it’s manufactured fishing it’s ok fir tv 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

I like the scenery and certain elements are spot on....touches of the passion for angling series. But I just can't be doing with Bobs moaning and his inability to learn basic skills. The fact that he looks no more comfortable with a rod than he did at the beginning suggest the fishing parts have been heavily edited, he's certainly not spent hours on the bank concentrating on catching fish. 

Bob reminds me of the times where I've taken my youngest fishing....the weather, scenery and swim is all perfect and he falls in and wants to go home. 

If I took a complete novice fishing on as many days as Bob has supposedly been I can guarantee they would be better at fishing than Bob. They certainly wouldn't be trying to lift a 2lb rainbow out of the water by lifting the leader like he did on the last programme 

• Like 1

I've seen it a few times just because it is a fishing programme.  

It may be heresy to say it bearing in mind the programme's good reviews   but l find it s bit annoying.  Too little fishing and too many weak and contrived "comedy" moments for me .

If l want to listen to two  blokes bickering about the woes of old age l can talk to myself in a mirror🙂

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now there is one thing i agree with you all there. Bob does not seem to have made as much process as he should of, even his fixed spool casting is rather weak, he should be able to handle his fishing gear better by now. 

Tight Lines

Aled

Not watched any an doubt I’ll bother after reading this thread an thread on another forum I read 😂

is it just me tho or does nobody else think think this pair are or always acting mentally handicapped, I don’t get there humour one bit 

Some right miserable b4stards on here. Use the remote to switch to Corrie if you don’t like it…, but don’t come on here whinging (again!!! This isn’t the first time this has been discussed!!!). As a fishing programme it’s sh!te…, as two comedians being funny, also shite. What it is though is two old farts fcuking about catching a few fish and chewing the fat. I’ll take that over 99.9999999999% of the utter woke dross offered up as entertainment these days. 

Watched it a few weeks back and it made me think. I’ve fished with the same pal for nearly 30 years…., although it doesn’t feel anything like that. We’ve had some great days out…, and loads of sh!te ones. Good decisions, bad ones, the red letter days, the (few, very few) blanks, piss-ups, early mornings, late nights, and a more than enough belly laughs to last a lifetime. I think watching these two it made me realise that life is short, and that in the blink of an eye it might all be over. I do fish alone, and occasionally with my boy, but I think if anything happened to my mate, I’d just pack up and sell all my gear. Hopefully won’t be any time soon. Out with the fly rods on Monday next week 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 1