Squirrel road kill

4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

If your on the m5 mate near Micheal wood services keep your eyes peeled I see them stood on the hard shoulder grazing, both muntis and roe the Cotswolds are alive with them ??

Years ago we were working in Bracknell and had a dog or 2 with us so had some fun on the Muntjac, only seen one down this way...hear there are more about.. funny little things..lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one else noticing that squirrels suddenly seem to be the number one corpse, I see 3/4 every morning on the roads travelling to work, not sad but I often look at roadkill as a gauge to population n

Yep they're everywhere around us, my youngest spotted one, got upset I said what's up , 'I wanted to look at it', I said we're late he was 'did you see he had pink feet , lol told his mum she apparent

Never known so many squirrels as this year. Was talking about it on a different thread. Lost count now how many I've had in traps just in my garden usually I get one two at the most this year pasted f

Posted Images

Just now, NEWKID said:

Years ago we were working in Bracknell and had a dog or 2 with us so had some fun on the Muntjac, only seen one down this way...hear there are more about.. funny little things..lol

They spread like a rash mate, I saw my first one when I was doing some work in an old people’s home on the Cotswolds they were in people’s gardens eating the plants within 3 years they are all around the northern edge of Bristol and only the river seems to be slowing the spread though I have seen roe swim it ??

• Like 1
Just now, Greyman said:

They spread like a rash mate, I saw my first one when I was doing some work in an old people’s home on the Cotswolds they were in people’s gardens eating the plants within 3 years they are all around the northern edge of Bristol and only the river seems to be slowing the spread though I have seen roe swim it ??

Yeah have seen it along the M4 over the years, like you say the population must be pretty huge now, saw around 10 dead deer yesterday on the road, and majority muntjac couple of roe..

Loads of roe down here and fallow but few muntjac, im sure there will be more and more soon enough...

• Like 1

Cotswolds is lifting with gear, just wish I’d owned a dog that could catch things as I would have made all the diesel worth it ! Lol ? 

Cant mind the name of that Abbey off the Flitwick turnoff on the M1 but there are deer crawling out of every hedgerow round there, roe, munty, cwd…..you have to see it to believe it.

• Like 1

Living pretty much in the forest i tend to hear them before i see them then its the mad dash for the trees while the little mutt gives chase....cant say as ive noticed increases in numbers though but as someone else said seeing them in open fields has been a bit of a strange one.

6 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Yeah have seen it along the M4 over the years, like you say the population must be pretty huge now, saw around 10 dead deer yesterday on the road, and majority muntjac couple of roe..

Loads of roe down here and fallow but few muntjac, im sure there will be more and more soon enough...

The Wrigleys factory at Plymouth (?) is pretty cool, fallow just wandering around in broad daylight…..amazing stuff.

In urban settings I used to kill loads of foxes on playing fields and parks at night, they come in from surrounding fields and you can hammer them.

Never known so many squirrels as this year. Was talking about it on a different thread. Lost count now how many I've had in traps just in my garden usually I get one two at the most this year pasted fifteen and stopped counting. Bloody things wreck the bird feeders they were also hanging around the nest boxes. thats why I started to nail them.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WILF said:

The Wrigleys factory at Plymouth (?) is pretty cool, fallow just wandering around in broad daylight…..amazing stuff.

In urban settings I used to kill loads of foxes on playing fields and parks at night, they come in from surrounding fields and you can hammer them.

Worked all around that estate mate, built 2 new estates on it...

I think its the oldest fallow herd in the country... they are everywhere...done a fair few jobs on Wriggleys building and they have to maintain access for the deer in their fences....mad really to see such big herds all day every day...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NEWKID said:

Worked all around that estate mate, built 2 new estates on it...

I think its the oldest fallow herd in the country... they are everywhere...done a fair few jobs on Wriggleys building and they have to maintain access for the deer in their fences....mad really to see such big herds all day every day...

Done a fair bit on that estate myself pal, not that I myself got much done, too busy looking at the deer ! Lol ? 

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Greyman said:

North Essex is heaving with deer, I have seen giant herds of Fallow at night and muntjac and roe are just an every day part of the scenery now.

I also used to visit one place and there must of been 50 hares on one field one night, bloke who took us there said “choose your hares” and I thought he was joking but he wasn’t, never seen anything like it.

You be stopping the truck every mile to let the dog out the window for a run at something, mental, crazy, brilliant days.

• Like 2

Two foxes got run over out here within days of each other , it prompted the local news paper to print a warning asking drivers to slow down …..on my last visit home from Portsmouth to Gillingham I counted 11 dead foxes and 9 badgers …as for deer East Sussex is the worst place in the country for deer related rta’s ….deer , mainly fallow are at plague proportions ..

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, sussex said:

Two foxes got run over out here within days of each other , it prompted the local news paper to print a warning asking drivers to slow down …..on my last visit home from Portsmouth to Gillingham I counted 11 dead foxes and 9 badgers …as for deer East Sussex is the worst place in the country for deer related rta’s ….deer , mainly fallow are at plague proportions ..

Most rk deer I've seen was coming back from London on the a3 think there was about 7 or 8 and then a few more further along on journey , saw an rta with a big ole deer in Swindon this year, so much scrubby industrial land there, muntys out all times of day

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Borr said:

Most rk deer I've seen was coming back from London on the a3 think there was about 7 or 8 and then a few more further along on journey , saw an rta with a big ole deer in Swindon this year, so much scrubby industrial land there, muntys out all times of day

I saw a herd of I estimate between 50 - 70 fallow on a field in North Essex one night.

Also out shooting them off of an estate one day and we had chased them around most of the day, ended with a group of around 12 in a paddock and as we pulled up in the gator they just stood there…..lad I was with shot 6 on the spot, they didn’t even try and run, just looked confused and went down like ninepins.

One of the oddest things I ever seen out hunting.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WILF said:

I saw a herd of I estimate between 50 - 70 fallow on a field in North Essex one night.

Also out shooting them off of an estate one day and we had chased them around most of the day, ended with a group of around 12 in a paddock and as we pulled up in the gator they just stood there…..lad I was with shot 6 on the spot, they didn’t even try and run, just looked confused and went down like ninepins.

One of the oddest things I ever seen out hunting.

I've seen a mate of mine drop three out of a herd of about 20 , before any of them did anything. Also seen a farmer on a tractor taking pit shots whilst they were running, winged one, lunatic. A mate of mine took some Austrians or whatever out stalking they all got out on a large herd, one of them fired and the herd ran towards the five guns, my mate said it was like the fecking Alamo, he dducked down fingers over ears til the smoke cleared , once they'd stopped they immediately cracked open the hip flasks and cigars, he was like you need to go and dispatch some of those now. Not a happy chap lol

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Borr said:

I've seen a mate of mine drop three out of a herd of about 20 , before any of them did anything. Also seen a farmer on a tractor taking pit shots whilst they were running, winged one, lunatic. A mate of mine took some Austrians or whatever out stalking they all got out on a large herd, one of them fired and the herd ran towards the five guns, my mate said it was like the fecking Alamo, he dducked down fingers over ears til the smoke cleared , once they'd stopped they immediately cracked open the hip flasks and cigars, he was like you need to go and dispatch some of those now. Not a happy chap lol

Having a big fallow run right at you certainly makes your arse go that’s for sure mate ! Lol ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1