Squirrel road kill

3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Worked all around that estate mate, built 2 new estates on it...

I think its the oldest fallow herd in the country... they are everywhere...done a fair few jobs on Wriggleys building and they have to maintain access for the deer in their fences....mad really to see such big herds all day every day...

Cobbles brought them over, they started near hemerdon and spread. 

The whole north of the city is plagued by them, they cover a large area now. Spent many an evening as a teenager bothering them and would walk from efford to Plympton for em. They're like sheep to catch though so got bored after a couple seasons. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one else noticing that squirrels suddenly seem to be the number one corpse, I see 3/4 every morning on the roads travelling to work, not sad but I often look at roadkill as a gauge to population n

Yep they're everywhere around us, my youngest spotted one, got upset I said what's up , 'I wanted to look at it', I said we're late he was 'did you see he had pink feet , lol told his mum she apparent

Never known so many squirrels as this year. Was talking about it on a different thread. Lost count now how many I've had in traps just in my garden usually I get one two at the most this year pasted f

Posted Images

I've noticed more squirrels about over 12 months. Just popping up in random places, like running up the middle of the street or crossing roads in the middle of the village. As already noted its strange seeing them out in fields far from cover. The terriers have proper switched on to em and are always alert for them when mooching. 

Strangely I haven't noticed any increase in calls for dealing with squirrels in lofts though. 

I remember 20 plus years ago when I was working on a grouse Moor we flushed one up in the heather on a walked up day and I also caught one inside a drystone wall up on the Moor in a fenn trap. Both were half a mile from the nearest trees. 

Edited by DIDO.1
13 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've noticed more squirrels about over 12 months. Just popping up in random places, like running up the middle of the street or crossing roads in the middle of the village. As already noted its strange seeing them out in fields far from cover. The terriers have proper switched on to em and are always alert for them when mooching. 

Strangely I haven't noticed any increase in calls for dealing with squirrels in lofts though. 

I remember 20 plus years ago when I was working on a grouse Moor we flushed one up in the heather on a walked up day and I also caught one inside a drystone wall up on the Moor in a fenn trap. Both were half a mile from the nearest trees. 

I saw one last week on a rock pile up the mountains, thought it was a strange looking rock then it ran off as I got closer ?. A good 10 mins walk to the nearest trees.

20201112_124624.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Borr said:

Most rk deer I've seen was coming back from London on the a3 think there was about 7 or 8 and then a few more further along on journey , saw an rta with a big ole deer in Swindon this year, so much scrubby industrial land there, muntys out all times of day

Have a look up deer RTA’s on the A22 ..one of the places I did the management at hadn’t been shot for over forty years , the deer were totally unfazed buy people and you could literally walk in to twenty yards before they walked away .The first two years was just a matter of having enough ammo , fast forward ten years , the numbers are down to acceptable and sustainable levels , body weight is up 25% and the deer are vary vary wary .rta’s are down massively on that section ..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sussex said:

Have a look up deer RTA’s on the A22 ..one of the places I did the management at hadn’t been shot for over forty years , the deer were totally unfazed buy people and you could literally walk in to twenty yards before they walked away .The first two years was just a matter of having enough ammo , fast forward ten years , the numbers are down to acceptable and sustainable levels , body weight is up 25% and the deer are vary vary wary .rta’s are down massively on that section ..

So they finally learned the Green Cross Code? 

22 hours ago, Greyman said:

Any one else noticing that squirrels suddenly seem to be the number one corpse, I see 3/4 every morning on the roads travelling to work, not sad but I often look at roadkill as a gauge to population numbers and by that reckoning the squirrels must be near plague proportions, anyone else getting this in there areas ???✌️

Don't forget time of year,squirrels no its changing ,as they say in game of thrones, winters coming ,could be a reason why we all seeing more, hazelnuts are as ripe as a virgins pussy up my way,,, wish it was other way round though ,,,,

I thought i wiped a place out by me little while back was easy knock the dreys at night in winter catapults or dogs very rarely missed one walked there other day couldnt believe how many had come back tbh. Pointless going shooting them tho with this many leaves

8 minutes ago, C.green said:

I thought i wiped a place out by me little while back was easy knock the dreys at night in winter catapults or dogs very rarely missed one walked there other day couldnt believe how many had come back tbh. Pointless going shooting them tho with this many leaves

They're so territorial and abundant they soon move into a vacant spot, I used to have hollow oaks holding squirrels, I could almost guarantee a bolt every couple of months..

2 hours ago, C.green said:

Looking forward to the leaves falling I must admit ?? squirrels have been the main target for me and the dogs last few years but recon this winter could be memorable 

FF8F503D-7BAE-4A86-B8AE-1D6E535DDB89.jpeg

• Like 1