The Old Man And The Futon

:cry: I think it's about time to face the fact that my game is up.

I sleep on a futon. That itself is laid on pallets. Net result is that I'm laying nine inches off the floor.

Just for fun; Any of you fifty or more? Get a nine inch block. Sit on it. Then sample getting up, using no hands or grabbing anything. Just stand straight up. I expect, even at that age, you'll realise you're no longer as young and subtle as you once were.

I'm a fukking sight older that fifty. And my futon is no where near as solid as a block. When I wake up, I sit there, on the edge, and have to use my bones, muscles and balance to get upright, in one, fluid movement.

" Muscles ". There's a fukking laugh! Balance?! Believe me, kiddoes; That goes right out the fukking window, with the onset of deafness. And I'm 90% deaf!

Oh, and this fukking floor slopes to the foot of my futon like a four in one.

Result? I woke up, today. Sat on the edge. Marked that none of my dogs were too close, should I not make it and my arse crash back down on them and, with an almighty effort; " Mmmthh!!! ".

Up I went, like a rocket! Straight away loosing all control and staggering, hell for leather, across the room! Actually quite fukking terrifying, because I genuinely have No Fukking Idea where I'm going, or where I may crash land! It's all horrifyingly fast!

'Luckily', this time my forarm smashed against my toad tank. Driving it back a couple of inches but, thank fukk, not breaking the glass! Else I'd be laying there, bleeding out. Not typing this lament!

I think this one truly was The Gypsys Warning, people :( I need to get some of those nine inch x seventeen blocks in here. Have a stronger lad or two lift the lot and get my futon, pallets 'n all higher off the floor.

kay. Fukk it, I admit it: It's even got me thinking abut one of those hand rails, on the wall, at the head. So I can pull myself up. Maybe one in the shower. In case?

Anyone of you found this amusing? Good for you. Have that one on me. I don't mind.

And don't you mind if I don't snigger along with ye.

Fukk This.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Ken’s’ Deputy have you ever considered compiling a book or have you ? As you are quite descriptive the way you put things and the way it’s laid out and put across says to me you might have some

I think it's about time to face the fact that my game is up. I sleep on a futon. That itself is laid on pallets. Net result is that I'm laying nine inches off the floor. Just for fun; Any of

Did you steal that photo from this month's ,Home and gardens ?

Posted Images

Naah. Be a terrible world of dog hair and spiders webs, Sid. Fukking bad enough as it is, just one pallet deep. I have to occasionally lift the futon. Get the hoover in there. And Fill the fukking thing!

Blocks would be better all round. More air circulation. Easier to get off. And I could sweep out beneath it.

Besides; I build a wooden box, to contain / cover my futon and its pallets. Stop the dogs getting on it in day time. I could support that on the blocks, along with the current pallets, and I'd just have an elevated futon.

Bung more pallets under the ones already there? I'd look like something out of San Francisco!

Here it is, as is, see? Take the dog beds off. Raise the lid ~ which hooks to the wall. Drop the side bit, so my leg doesn't stick out and rest on the edge of a plank (!) And, the futon's in there. Good as gold.

It just needs to be higher now. And, with blocks? When I get Really seriously fukked? I can just add more. Then roll off and die! ?

P9120001.JPG.5a71f51ca885b05c3b952d6b2ffbc89e.JPG

Edited by Ken's Deputy
Typed futons when I mean't pallets. FFS.
4 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Naah. Be a terrible world of dog hair and spiders webs, Sid. Fukking bad enough as it is, just one pallet deep. I have to occasionally lift the futon. Get the hoover in there. And Fill the fukking thing!

Blocks would be better all round. More air circulation. Easier to get off. And I could sweep out beneath it.

Besides; I build a wooden box, to contain / cover my futon and its pallets. Stop the dogs getting on it in day time. I could support that on the blocks, along with the current pallets, and I'd just have an elevated futon.

Bung more pallets under the ones already there? I'd look like something out of San Francisco!

Here it is, as is, see? Take the dog beds off. Raise the lid ~ which hooks to the wall. Drop the side bit, so my leg doesn't stick out and rest on the edge of a plank (!) And, the futon's in there. Good as gold.

It just needs to be higher now. And, with blocks? When I get Really seriously fukked? I can just add more. Then roll off and die! ?

P9120001.JPG.5a71f51ca885b05c3b952d6b2ffbc89e.JPG

Did you steal that photo from this month's ,Home and gardens ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
3 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Oriental style ?on a side note I seen a pic where someone made a bed complete with headboard from pallets .

It's no secret that I have a romantic nostalgia / love for things Japanese, mate :)

Regards pallets? Yeah. I've seen amazing things done with them. Funnily enough, I passed my neighbours lace only yesterday. Saw he had a stack of absolutely brand new pallets! Thought to myself then;

" I wonder what he's going to do with them? "

I mean, this wasn't any random pile he'd happened to have had stuff delivered on. They were all pristine.

4 minutes ago, Astanley said:

That mold can't be healthy 

Quite possibly not, Al'. I know that. What's a man to do? I have a wide open tank of  220 gallons of flowing water at the foot of the futon, mate. It's a trade off. Pleasure of having my Snapper vs. possibly impinging on my health.

I'm getting old. I no longer smoke or drink. Fukk me, I've got to die of something, sometime. If I can die having had the pleasure of having that brilliant creature around me? I can live with that :)

10 minutes ago, sid g said:

neither can that bed ,  not for me anyway my back would be wrecked 

Au contraire! That's exactly the thing, Sid! A good futon ~ and I don't mean the glorified quilt on a pallet they brought in in the seventies! ~ is fukking Superb for ye bod'!

It's not something I can easily put into words, mate. But, they're extremely supportive. It's weird. I'd say it's like a 'soft floor'. But, then we go right back to what it's Not. There's nothing " Soft " about a proper futon. 'Firmly supportive', maybe?

You don't tend to sink into it like a mattress. There's next to no give. Hard to explain. The entire Japanese nation can't be far wrong though ?