Dogs throwing the towel in and breeding.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred a litter of terrier pups a few yrs ago  and kept back 2 bitches..reared and treated both the same,had them out from pups,pegged out at digs so they could learn the crack,the smooth bitch went the

Posted Sunday at 13:21 "I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or what

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

Posted Images

"I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or whatever, so I went over to chat as he was shouting at me lol. Turns out he was the local go to guy to have a dog shot, and told stories of dogs being shot on the lead unexpectedly by their owner etc who didn't want to witness the deed, this although odd to tell a stranger wasn't anything particularly odd, but then told me of his bull X's and how his best bitch spat a fox at 9 years old and had been a solid dependable dog her whole life but he only kept workers and shot her on the spot. This for me wasn't respecting an animal that had given its life to his entertainment at the end of it, not to even get a last meal, never mind a fireside retirement. Not for me .."

?I've met several, similar types,...some of these guys spend, literally thousands of pounds, on a specific type...

Money is no object to these men,...they have a passion which possibly borders upon obsession...?

One felleh I encountered, had the most beautiful and seemingly, capable running dog composites,...I used to watch them grow from fat pups into the consummate adult canine athletes.

They were fabulous creatures,...unbelievably fabulous.?

I never quite got over the situation when I would visit the guy a few months later and the crop had been replaced, by fresh blood,.some adults and some untried saplings.

The gorgeous originals were always gone....and I do mean,.gone?

I've put a few dogs to ground myself, over the last 60 years,.but nothing on the scale of these perfectionists...

To me, the culling of a promising young tyke always seemed a bit of a waste....

Obviously, not all dogs that are required to fulfil a particular task, will make the cut,...we all have failures ,...but feck me...every time..surely not? I have frequently mentioned this apparently essential search, for the ultimate canine to such lads and generally they give me a queer old look, almost bordering upon pity....

"Its all about standards mate,...its all about standards,...You wouldn't understand...."

Well, maybe not,.but all I know is that one can go through a whole lot of jukels to obtain this wonderous world beater.

I have often thought,...is it really worth all the pain and heartache....?

In truth I do not understand,..and as I look down at my happy and contented, roustabout 'rabbiting curs',..

I know, in reality,..the truth of the matter is,..I don't really want to understand....?

Stay safe now Brothers,..all the best, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 12
19 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

"I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or whatever, so I went over to chat as he was shouting at me lol. Turns out he was the local go to guy to have a dog shot, and told stories of dogs being shot on the lead unexpectedly by their owner etc who didn't want to witness the deed, this although odd to tell a stranger wasn't anything particularly odd, but then told me of his bull X's and how his best bitch spat a fox at 9 years old and had been a solid dependable dog her whole life but he only kept workers and shot her on the spot. This for me wasn't respecting an animal that had given its life to his entertainment at the end of it, not to even get a last meal, never mind a fireside retirement. Not for me .."

?I've met several, similar types,...some of these guys spend, literally thousands of pounds, on a specific type...

Money is no object to these men,...they have a passion which possibly borders upon obsession...?

One felleh I encountered, had the most beautiful and seemingly, capable running dog composites,...I used to watch them grow from fat pups into the consummate adult canine athletes.

They were fabulous creatures,...unbelievably fabulous.?

I never quite got over the situation when I would visit the guy a few months later and the crop had been replaced, by fresh blood,.some adults and some untried saplings.

The gorgeous originals were always gone....and I do mean,.gone?

I've put a few dogs to ground myself, over the last 60 years,.but nothing on the scale of these perfectionists...

To me, the culling of a promising young tyke always seemed a bit of a waste....

Obviously, not all dogs that are required to fulfil a particular task, will make the cut,...we all have failures ,...but feck me...every time..surely not? I have frequently mentioned this apparently essential search, for the ultimate canine to such lads and generally they give me a queer old look, almost bordering upon pity....

"Its all about standards mate,...its all about standards,...You wouldn't understand...."

Well, maybe not,.but all I know is that one can go through a whole lot of jukels to obtain this wonderous world beater.

I have often thought,...is it really worth all the pain and heartache....?

In truth I do not understand,..and as I look down at my happy and contented, roustabout 'rabbiting curs',..

I know, that in reality,..the truth of the matter is,..I don't really want to understand....?

Stay safe now Brothers,..all the best, OldPhil.?

img Scans199.jpg

The truth of it is these types of people are chasing Elysium and will never be happy with what’s in their kennel … they are not true dog men that can work around a dogs quirks and get the best out of it they want perfection and spend a lifetime chasing it only to realise when they’ve made old bones that there is no such thing  ……

• Like 10

Here is another question for the panel - on the same theme.

We have talked about a few dogs who suddenly just threw the towel in for no reason and that was that, done and dusted.

So had anyone had an animal do that, for no apparent reason, no injury, just not interested, and then decide to have a re think and carry on without doing it again. Assuming it was already doing the job for a while, not a young dog etc. 

The lad I new that owned major the salukixgrey fox dog only had a jack Russel now it was a pet I think it belonged to his parents it was never worked until it was about 7 it shurk it was more marked that most dogs on these terrier sections you would sware it wasent the same dog it lived till it was about 13 to funny old game the dogs ?.

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

We have talked about a few dogs who suddenly just threw the towel in for no reason and that was that, done and dusted.

So had anyone had an animal do that, for no apparent reason, no injury, just not interested, and then decide to have a re think and carry on without doing it again. Assuming it was already doing the job for a while, not a young dog etc. 

Yes I had a Wheaton x greyhound bitch run hot and cold one night she would kill 3 or 4 foxes then the next time try and pick her spot to lift them and miss 5 or six was she.been smart or just didn't like getting Bitten But a good bitch round.a sett I gave her to a friend' who worked more holes than lamped I seen lurchers run rabbits one night they would Do the business no problem then next time just wouldn't do it a tall me personally wouldn't keep a dog like that but as I said before each to there own 

24 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Thin your getting into coursing dog country now mate ?

• Haha 1