Dogs throwing the towel in and breeding.

20 minutes ago, jcm said:

Seen 2 dogs jack later in in life one was about 7 when it threw the towel in after being a constant fox killer and the other in my opinion was down to the owner giving the dog work when it should of been lay beside the fire as it was about 11 and to me was just to old and worn for the work and should have never seen a thing that season.

If it were my dog it would if been tagging along for the odd mooch not out lamping because in its day it was an impressive animal and probably one of the most consistent dogs i have seen, they type you could rely on and always got the job done no mater how much you gave him.

Like has been said one was fit and more than capable for the work the other in my opinion was just to old and when i seen it spit a fox i told the owner that the dog was just to old and couldn't handle the work no more.

It would be fascinating to know why the seven year old dog suddenly said no. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred a litter of terrier pups a few yrs ago  and kept back 2 bitches..reared and treated both the same,had them out from pups,pegged out at digs so they could learn the crack,the smooth bitch went the

Posted Sunday at 13:21 "I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or what

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Borr said:

I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or whatever, so I went over to chat as he was shouting at me lol. Turns out he was the local go to guy to have a dog shot, and told stories of dogs being shot on the lead unexpectedly by their owner etc who didn't want to witness the deed, this although odd to tell a stranger wasn't anything particularly odd, but then told me of his bull X's and how his best bitch spat a fox at 9 years old and had been a solid dependable dog her whole life but he only kept workers and shot her on the spot. This for me wasn't respecting an animal that had given its life to his entertainment at the end of it, not to even get a last meal, never mind a fireside retirement. Not for me ....

Guy sounds like the kind of person who really really wants folk to think he’s hard core ? 

• Like 1
Just now, SheepChaser said:

Guy sounds like the kind of person who really really wants folk to think he’s hard core ? 

Yep, classic. More commonly found in terrier work I guess but not for me, I get it if they're bred for a specific job but it's not something to brag about or take pleasure in. It's a failing in a dog you've brought on or bred and invested in. 

12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

It would be fascinating to know why the seven year old dog suddenly said no. 

That's a question we all asked because from the first time it spat a fox it done it time and time again. It was fit and injury free just decided it didn't fancy taking no more stick and that was that. It was a very good fox dog aswell and not just the odd one or two a week it was doing very good numbers a season.

5 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

When I was looking for a stud couple years ago , I had a good think about how much the two dogs caught , one lived in area full of game and caught say 50 of the intended quarry in a season , the other lived in a more difficult area and caught 20 , which ones the Better dog , and it’s not about how much they caught it’s how difficult was those catches ? And same goes for a the bloke I think a lot of men would jack it if there had to work as hard as others to catch stuff some people can walk out there front door and catch all sorts , others including myself have to work hard for the bits we get , 

You not reckon some of them dogs doing 20 might not do 50 tho ? 

i hear what ya saying i know some parts of the uk stuff just dies when a dog looks in its direction but ive seen some dogs look good here n there but not have the gas when theres abit about

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Big difference between breeding s dog to hunt foxes in open hill and run and kill them on the lamp. The second requires a lot less different skill sets to think about. It can either catch and kill and will or won’t. 

Im talking about something ive not done so i hope i dont come accross that i know what im on about that hill hunting would you not be able to teach a dog alot of that going the distance and that ? I should imagine lot of the time the fox has had a fair bit of sting took out of him aswell ? Are them hill dogs able to kill a few on the lamp at might ? Genuinley curious

4 minutes ago, C.green said:

Im talking about something ive not done so i hope i dont come accross that i know what im on about that hill hunting would you not be able to teach a dog alot of that going the distance and that ? I should imagine lot of the time the fox has had a fair bit of sting took out of him aswell ? Are them hill dogs able to kill a few on the lamp at might ? Genuinley curious

My old bitch has done a fair bit of lamping tbh and Iv found her struggle more on killing the hill ones , cause obviously there covering the ground aswell , and those winter dog foxes are tough old animals 

1 minute ago, Wales1234 said:

My old bitch has done a fair bit of lamping tbh and Iv found her struggle more on killing the hill ones , cause obviously there covering the ground aswell , and those winter dog foxes are tough old animals 

Fair play mate its something ive never done tbh stayed in the valleys for abit looked barren to me. Had dogs i can let off in a forest and there run off and find there stuff but big difference aint it. Id like to see one on a good night on the lamp

3 minutes ago, C.green said:

Fair play mate its something ive never done tbh stayed in the valleys for abit looked barren to me. Had dogs i can let off in a forest and there run off and find there stuff but big difference aint it. Id like to see one on a good night on the lamp

You’ve got to work with what you got we not blessed with game but the hunting is incredible when they get going , big difference to finding stuff in woods with loads stuff , neither my two hunt up on the lamp but don’t think I can same for this pup 

• Like 1
On 10/09/2021 at 15:38, SheepChaser said:

Interesting thoughts ......

Just for the record I’ve never bred a litter of Lurchers in my life ...... and the only bitches I have in my kennels are 13 and 6 months ? I had one dog I thought was worth breeding off, a cracker, and I waited until she was a ‘proper’ age and lined her, she was dead shortly after. Pretty much regretted not breeding her earlier and getting some pups on the ground. It left us with one animal out of that litter left which we bred (don’t worry she was five ?) and that’s mam to my pup.

Anyway I digress. I see plenty of folk advocating using certain dogs of the right age on here and in general but which have probably not done a huge amount. I know dogs half their age who have done far far more. For arguments sake we aren’t talking rabbits, but let’s say a fox dog. Which is more tested - a six year old dog which has 5 seasons, 4 of which they have caught Charlie, maybe 10 to 20 a season. Another dog had only had three good seasons on them but owner has put the miles and time in, and killed 50-100 a season single handed. Which one is more tested and worth breeding off and which is more likely to jack the following season ?

Has anyone seen a decent fox dog that did good numbers first three seasons but then jacked in later life with no other excuse than heart ?

I think if it like terriers - there are lads digging a dog 100 times a season and lads digging a dog 20 times. Does that make age irrelevant ?  

Reguarding terriers pal they could be both good working dogs just go about there work different and the dog that's getting dig 20 times a season might spend more time in the sick bay then the dog that's dug 100 times once there both putting the graft in and if your using as a stud and have seen the dog work regularly and are happy then you've no one else to ask in my opinion is all 

4 hours ago, Borr said:

I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or whatever, so I went over to chat as he was shouting at me lol. Turns out he was the local go to guy to have a dog shot, and told stories of dogs being shot on the lead unexpectedly by their owner etc who didn't want to witness the deed, this although odd to tell a stranger wasn't anything particularly odd, but then told me of his bull X's and how his best bitch spat a fox at 9 years old and had been a solid dependable dog her whole life but he only kept workers and shot her on the spot. This for me wasn't respecting an animal that had given its life to his entertainment at the end of it, not to even get a last meal, never mind a fireside retirement. Not for me ....

Prob a solid dog with a knife that was left a bit too long before she was helped this time , this is why there is so much shit about as these knife dogs are bred from and made out as super stars or net hero’s 

• Like 2