Dogs throwing the towel in and breeding.

7 minutes ago, sid g said:

thats what i`m saying graft made the bloodlines if 5/6 generations down one or both parents hav`nt grafted should/would it matter that much , no guarantee any dog will work but if its in the genes/blood  more chance it will . 

I agree mate but the thing is who in their right mind would buy a pup off tested stock, never work it and then decide to breed it? 

• Like 1

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred a litter of terrier pups a few yrs ago  and kept back 2 bitches..reared and treated both the same,had them out from pups,pegged out at digs so they could learn the crack,the smooth bitch went the

Posted Sunday at 13:21 "I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or what

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, socks said:

Ah but there’s a difference there as it depends on what the dog has done that day. If this was rat number 50 then yep I’m with you. But if it’s rat number 500 when the dog is completely chin strapped then it’s fair enough. 

You not reckon theres a time to pick up a dog before it starts losing then ken ? In that situation like obviously there is times ya cant

25 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Never been into breeding dogs just love working em, most important thing for me is putting quarry in front of the dog regardless of bloodlines and bullshit, atb

Bloodlines ain’t bull shit sweet cheeks ? just look at any animal breeding in any species. Scatter bred you might get lucky, but you tip tings in your favour if you breed them right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, C.green said:

You not reckon theres a time to pick up a dog before it starts losing then ken ? In that situation like obviously there is times ya cant

Absolutely you should never push a dog to its end point but sometimes in the heat of battle so to speak you take your eye off the ball ……. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Interesting thoughts ......

Just for the record I’ve never bred a litter of Lurchers in my life ...... and the only bitches I have in my kennels are 13 and 6 months ? I had one dog I thought was worth breeding off, a cracker, and I waited until she was a ‘proper’ age and lined her, she was dead shortly after. Pretty much regretted not breeding her earlier and getting some pups on the ground. It left us with one animal out of that litter left which we bred (don’t worry she was five ?) and that’s mam to my pup.

Anyway I digress. I see plenty of folk advocating using certain dogs of the right age on here and in general but which have probably not done a huge amount. I know dogs half their age who have done far far more. For arguments sake we aren’t talking rabbits, but let’s say a fox dog. Which is more tested - a six year old dog which has 5 seasons, 4 of which they have caught Charlie, maybe 10 to 20 a season. Another dog had only had three good seasons on them but owner has put the miles and time in, and killed 50-100 a season single handed. Which one is more tested and worth breeding off and which is more likely to jack the following season ?

Has anyone seen a decent fox dog that did good numbers first three seasons but then jacked in later life with no other excuse than heart ?

I think if it like terriers - there are lads digging a dog 100 times a season and lads digging a dog 20 times. Does that make age irrelevant ?  

A fox Dog is only as good as hes last fox a old lad use to say he could pack it in the next one you just don't know dogs 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

A fox Dog is only as good as hes last fox a old lad use to say he could pack it in the next one you just don't know dogs 

Yer I get tht to a point but at what point would you be happy breeding ? And is it always age or more numbers ? Genuine question 

2 minutes ago, baker boy said:

And then sell the jacker on hoping the next customer didnt expect too much from a dog, a bitch called Root back in the 90s at least 6 UK owners then sold abroad to clueless foreigner

That I don't know. Don't believe he would sell on a rejected cold dog but you learn something new every day. 

30 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

One thing you can say about Nuttall, he used to take jackers back and offer you another dog. 

What did he do with all the jackers?.. 

Every dog has a breaking point...seen plenty fail..but a change of owner,proper rest,good grub, exercise and some never put a foot wrong again..some folks will always end up with jackers/shit dogs.. because they just don't have a clue..some will always get the best from a dog,they know to work to their strengths,they will know when it's had enough or will go again-they not concerned about what others may say or think...those same folks will also tell you the faults of said animal(they all have them)...I've met one or two over the yrs but they ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN..IMO it's just best ,that  you just be honest with yourself and anyone who's getting one...the rest then is down to the man holding the lead ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I cant be bothered to read 7 pages but here's my little in put, all I can say is the answer is in the eye of the beholder if you've had a dog 5 or 6 years and you think it's what you want weither is jacked or not as long as your not telling wild stories and telling people it's the best dog in world and you want to breed off it for your own reasons crack on but it's when people tell stories make the dog sound like it's the bees knees I think that's where the line has to be drawn me personally I would breed something unless I knew it was what I wanted and suited me never mind any body else 

• Like 7