Jump to content

Lurcher and Night time Long netting


Recommended Posts

I've got a lurcher pup I'm bringing on and i don't really want to go down the lamping route with her like I have with previous dogs, I'm at the point now its quality of the catch more than the quantity if you get my drift. What I'm thinking  is a bit of mooching/bushing and possibly some night time Long netting with her.

Do you guys use a dog for long netting at night, is it useful or more a hindrance using a dog or is just fables from some of the old time writers and I'm a total romancer?

 

Link to post

It sounds good but the actual doing it would be different. In the day time though have the dog mark some bushes and sticking it in a stay while you run a net around is great. But at night I would leave the dog at home. 

30112765458_68d3878a45_o.jpg.3991b676c206006b79497c712b2b84af.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
7 minutes ago, terryd said:

It sounds good but the actual doing it would be different. In the day time though have the dog mark some bushes and sticking it in a stay while you run a net around is great. But at night I would leave the dog at home. 

30112765458_68d3878a45_o.jpg.3991b676c206006b79497c712b2b84af.jpg

TBF I thought as much, I'll definitely be having a go through the day I like the sound of that.  

Link to post

As long as she does as she’s told I’d take her,  if nothing else it’s company for you. I wouldn’t expect a lurcher to be cast out and hunt back to you but Banting back in with you (under control)she should be ok.

  • Like 3
Link to post
11 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

As long as she does as she’s told I’d take her,  if nothing else it’s company for you. I wouldn’t expect a lurcher to be cast out and hunt back to you but Banting back in with you (under control)she should be ok.

I guess so be a good  learning opportunity for her , its not like I'm depending on the rabbits to live.

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Allan P said:

I guess so be a good  learning opportunity for her , its not like I'm depending on the rabbits to live.

if we were depending on the rabbits to live mate, we would be looking like anorexic Ethiopians. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, Allan P said:

I guess so be a good  learning opportunity for her , its not like I'm depending on the rabbits to live.

well  Allan, personally  mate, i forget a lurcher , and get nice  bitch black lab, they work net no prob. i not a net man, but what ive read is that most hares or rabbits get tangled in the net anyway, so dog with good nose, and soft mouth, and retriever would be my choice . my 1xs  that the collie x , and gsd x both good nose, retrievers , the colliex  good ferreting/ lamping , the gsd x lamping   , dont get me wrong  i think that maybe the 1x collie x bryn , he maybe could work a long net at night with practice , but no way Buck my 1x gsd x grey  , one  its dark he full on for lamping to catch and kill what at the end of the lamp, if i was just after rabbits that night , he calm a bit, and bring them back live, but if you bumped into other stuff  1st , he be full on lol.no mate get nice lab bitch for the long net, infact  years ago , i met old Bert Gripton  just before he died, and he tell me and a mate i was with about old time poachers , that went out with black labs getting shot birds, long net  rabbits/ hares , it was only the  popularity of lamping 60s -------  now   , that changed night work with lurchers , and  that was my main thing lamping 0ver 30 odd years.! 

  • Like 3
Link to post

Like mr wilkes said its all about control. No way in a million years is my dog not going to take off if a rabbit gets up in front lamp or not and like ray said if any thing else comes along even less chance lol. Long netting can be nice and stealthy and calm. Neither of them words fit my dog lol but you may have more luck 

  • Like 2
Link to post

I'm trying to train the the pup to be steady using gundog techniques, its going ok in the garden LOL. Sit, stay , heel off lead, retrieve and stop whistle that sort of thing. She's just under a year old and I've not really done much with her apart from the obedience and stock breaking. I understand its so different when in the field with distractions etc . I'm in no rush with her and I'll see how she and myself progress because I've never ran a long net out at night either, plenty of times ferreting but never at night. I'll be using  2 x 50yards quickset in one basket from les Nelson.  Probably be for sale come February to fund for an air rifle.

  • Like 1
Link to post

depending on whether you work alone or not there is enough to do night netting. I would leave the dog at home. that's if you are in dodgy places and are out to catch rabbits. if you are on safe ground and it's a bit of fun then try it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Iv done a bit with the old collie the in-laws had, an tried a bit with me old lurcher once she had aged a few years an steadied up a bit, an thought fcuk it I’ll have a bash with kelpie cross 😬🤦‍♂️ She has rolled through 2 nets so far an  iv decided I’ll be using her during day with them now 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
20 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Practice (in the dark) , sit her down and run out the net. Go back to her and take her to the other end of the net then have her walk to heel as you put the net away.

Good shout, I'll give that a go and see how we get on. I think breaking the training down like that and taking my time is the way to go. Just want to try different things with this pup not just lamping and ferreting  like I've done previously.   

  • Like 1
Link to post

I struggled with any dog with sort a drive, but I’m no dog trainer 😂 in end I opted for an collie the father in law owned, the dog was obedient as a Thai wife an had the prey drive of a vegan, But what he did have was a serious ball addiction haha So once I had run net out an let dog know where net was I would then tell him to go find his ball an he would quater the field like a pointer,spook what ever was there an they would head for home, he would sort of turn on them as tho he was gonna follow but always turned off again an out his nose to the ground. Not the perfect netting dog I know but I made do with that j had, could work with, an most importantly what I could enjoy 😁 likes been said I been a lot less fruitful with other dogs tho 😳😂 all part of the fun tho ain’t it 👍

  • Like 3
Link to post
10 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I struggled with any dog with sort a drive, but I’m no dog trainer 😂 in end I opted for an collie the father in law owned, the dog was obedient as a Thai wife an had the prey drive of a vegan, But what he did have was a serious ball addiction haha So once I had run net out an let dog know where net was I would then tell him to go find his ball an he would quater the field like a pointer,spook what ever was there an they would head for home, he would sort of turn on them as tho he was gonna follow but always turned off again an out his nose to the ground. Not the perfect netting dog I know but I made do with that j had, could work with, an most importantly what I could enjoy 😁 likes been said I been a lot less fruitful with other dogs tho 😳😂 all part of the fun tho ain’t it 👍

I'm not expecting miracles I'll give it a go with her , nothing to lose really and might have a bit of a laugh at the very least.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...