Guntrader hack

The ICO has recently contacted us in relation to media reports, which you may have seen, where an individual or individuals criminally used the stolen data to plot location data into a mapping system. An animal rights’ activist website published the map and recommended people commit criminal offences by obtaining a copy of this additional data set and contacting those identified within it. As soon as we found out about it we passed the information along to the NCA. They took down the google doc as soon as they were able and are still investigating.

Whilst this event does nothing more to change the type of data that was stolen, it is our view that such activists have encouraged, and made available, the data to make calls to individuals. This increases the risk of you receiving phone calls, emails or post.

Please note that we are informed that the data that was made available by the activists has since been removed and is no longer available.

We understand that it would be a criminal offence for an individual to use the personal data in this way. Because we believe that people would not want to commit a criminal offence in using the data, we consider it unlikely to occur. However, we wanted to bring this recent activity by the activists to your attention following our recent contact with the ICO. 

In the first instance, we would recommend that you be wary of any unidentified or suspicious calls, as you would do normally.

If you do receive such calls, we recommend that you log the date and time (perhaps by taking a screenshot) and report it to the police.

What to do if you or your business is targeted by anti-hunt activists:
Even though anti-hunt activists are very small in number, if you are targeted it can be a frightening and unpleasant experience.  Firstly, report the details to the police via the non-emergency 101 number who, based on the full facts, will advise what offences are being committed.

However, the offences that may be considered are:
1. Harassment - see the links below:

2. Malicious communications – see the link below:

3. E-mails or other electronic messages, if they are menacing in character – could be misuse of communications.

4. Could also be possible public order offences – words/messages could fall under sections 4A or 5 of the Public Order Act 1986, depending on the circumstances.

5. If they are openly planning physical action (turning up at the hotel on a particular day to target the business) – depending what they are planning, they could be conspiring to commit a public order offence

Just an update. I spoke to a member of the police cyber investigation team ?️‍yesterday. The files are still available to be seen . They told me that the anti hunting website has its server in Iceland and they don’t have the authority to just shut it down . They are however very aware of the problem and are making every effort to deal with it . 
               I’ve told my Mrs not to shop in Iceland anymore……. We’re going to shop at Farm food's from now on .✊

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Haha 10

Could shop at Diddly Squat Farm shop and visit Clarkson, assuming the yokels haven't driven him out yet!

METRO.CO.UK

Clarkson's Farm has already earned quite the reputation.

As for Iceland,I'm sure the police must be able to ask the Icelandic Police to take it down and provide the details of the owner / renter / administrator.

Edited by Alsone
6 hours ago, Alsone said:

Could shop at Diddly Squat Farm shop and visit Clarkson, assuming the yokels haven't driven him out yet!

METRO.CO.UK

Clarkson's Farm has already earned quite the reputation.

As for Iceland,I'm sure the police must be able to ask the Icelandic Police to take it down and provide the details of the owner / renter / administrator.

In all seriousness, you would have thought that would be the case , but apparently it’s not as easy as all that . We don’t have the power to make companies  in Iceland do anything. The police are making every effort , so they say . I’m sure it will be dealt with ….  eventually.

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

In all seriousness, you would have thought that would be the case , but apparently it’s not as easy as all that . We don’t have the power to make companies  in Iceland do anything. The police are making every effort , so they say . I’m sure it will be dealt with ….  eventually.

Yeah we don't have that power but you would have thought we could put in a request to their police with evidence and their police would take it down. Most countries co-operate on law and security. Maybe Iceland is more hostile to the UK than I'm aware.

46 minutes ago, terryd said:

That file is out there now job done. No going back and certainly no undoing the damage 

BT call screening / blocking phone (level 3) I highly recommend one anyway. I've not answered a single marketing call in 4 years of having mine, plus CCTV (Hikvision or Dahua) and anti snap locks and handles eg Ultion.

• Thanks 1