Bsa air sporter

My dads been clearing loads of stuff out as he's down sizing keeps dropping shit off at my house ha tools etc anyway last night he's fetched me his old bsa air sporter can you still get bits for them etc ? Its stamped 22354 on the stock anyone know what mk it is ? I remember it been in loft when I was a kid and am 36 now 

20210904_082844.jpg

20210904_082855.jpg

20210904_082902.jpg

• Like 1

Got my spares from here last week -

"BSA - Airsporter Model Variants"

WWW.AIRGUNSPARES.COM

Airgunspares & The Countrystore Gunshop. Gun spares for hundreds of airguns, no matter...

You could also try here as they carry them - 

"Airsporter BSA - Airgun spares | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more" https://www.gunspares.co.uk/categories/24287/Airsporter/

Hope these help ?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, David.evans said:

Jimmy 

Fance doing mine it got a crack on the pistol grip 

I’ll send you a few photos , or am I better let sleeping dogs lie , as it a ornament and has never been shot bar twice to see if it works and it does

atb mate 

For you my old friend 

Any thing 

If you want it done I'll do it for you 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

If you pull the underlever back then look on the underside of the machined down cylinder where the barrel enters you'll see a proper serial with two prefix letters, If the gun is a .22 then it will start with G, This cylinder is GJ which means a mk5, If yours is .177" cal then the prefix will start with 'E'..

aeHxQAb.jpg

When you've found the prefix letters, Look HERE to find out the production dates from the letters..

By the way, If you get some wire wool and soak it with 3 in 1 oil and give ten mins rubbing, It will look a lot better ?

This is an old mk2 that I was given, It was a bit rusty!!

eJ1OnLd.jpg

NPRbq8o.jpg

I used coarse wire wool as it was a mess, Most folk would advocate the finest (0000 grade), This is good for a rifle with good blueing and just a few specks of rust, The coarse stuff I used was fine for a gun in this state!!

After five mins!

PK5D10X.jpg

DKvCTTb.jpg

By the way, That's not an original mk2 rearsight, The chap that gave me the rifle lost it's own rearsight in the field back in the 70's/80's, A gunsmith made the non adjustable replacement!!

John ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff and made me think about mine which I bought new.

I'm pretty sure it was 1972, flippen 'ek, that about 50 years ago!!!!!!  Has a GJ stamp so it's a MK5.

Absolutely original, even had the original box up until a few years back when the EX threw it out after the divorce.

BSA1a.jpg.20358c7b1345ad49368795ac95ae6b25.jpgBSAa.jpg.a54d97fe51409135756f91d53e074747.jpg

Doesn't come out very often these days!!!!

Edit, The scope is a bit more recent (although still old), I seem to remember that came off one of my Dads guns!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 4
On 25/09/2021 at 11:25, Deker said:

Interesting stuff and made me think about mine which I bought new.

I'm pretty sure it was 1972, flippen 'ek, that about 50 years ago!!!!!!  Has a GJ stamp so it's a MK5.

Absolutely original, even had the original box up until a few years back when the EX threw it out after the divorce.

BSA1a.jpg.20358c7b1345ad49368795ac95ae6b25.jpgBSAa.jpg.a54d97fe51409135756f91d53e074747.jpg

Doesn't come out very often these days!!!!

Edit, The scope is a bit more recent (although still old), I seem to remember that came off one of my Dads guns!

They were the rifle to have back in the day deker 

And still got a following today 

I love them one day I'll keep one for my self 

Instead of giving them away 

Yours looks mint mind 

I'd of killed her in doors for chucking the box away 

Hard to come by with the box 

Atvbjimmy ???

14 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

They were the rifle to have back in the day deker 

And still got a following today 

I love them one day I'll keep one for my self 

Instead of giving them away 

Yours looks mint mind 

I'd of killed her in doors for chucking the box away 

Hard to come by with the box 

Atvbjimmy ???

Yes, I was rather upset about the box, that was mint to, and I had saved it a very long time!

I had an airsporter “S” .22 and it was crap basically, it would only really work with eley wasp pellets, anything else was low on power (about 9ft lb)and poor accuracy. Even with the eley wasps it ran about 11ft lbs but accuracy wasn’t brilliant. It had the plainest walnut stock I’ve ever seen with awful pressed chequering that was deeper at one end of the panel than the other. All in all a major disappointment for what was supposed to be bsa‘s flagship model. I do like the mk1’s and mk2’s and I’d have another for nostalgia, but I honestly think that the later airsporters got by for years on their looks and name rather than their questionable performance. Just my opinion but there ‘tis.

1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

I had an airsporter “S” .22 and it was crap basically, it would only really work with eley wasp pellets, anything else was low on power (about 9ft lb)and poor accuracy. Even with the eley wasps it ran about 11ft lbs but accuracy wasn’t brilliant. It had the plainest walnut stock I’ve ever seen with awful pressed chequering that was deeper at one end of the panel than the other. All in all a major disappointment for what was supposed to be bsa‘s flagship model. I do like the mk1’s and mk2’s and I’d have another for nostalgia, but I honestly think that the later airsporters got by for years on their looks and name rather than their questionable performance. Just my opinion but there ‘tis.

The wasps were/are still best for me in mine.    I'm fairly confident the Airsporter was a proper .22 throughout its model life, someone may know better than me on that (they did a .177 as well of course), but pellet (and other gun manufacturers) were steadily moving to 5.5mm.  It was/is incredibly simple mechanically and maybe BSA/the Airsporter did suffer from a lack of investment/technology, just plodding along with it making little more than cosmetic changes until it ceased production!

• Like 1