• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to look it up mate was out with the metal detector one is hardly a feed lol. Scarlet Elfcup WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM Easy to identify and spot, this tasty

Here are some Chanterelles I find they vary in colour the one we find in hedges and on banks covered in bushes by the river are a buff yellow like the ones you see on sale. Then a brighter one up in t

I already seen some nice dark grass rings while out with the detector. St. George's Mushroom WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM A great Spring mushroom that can usually b

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, comanche said:

There's been a shortage of mushrooms in my area this year but l struck lucky yesterday . 20221116_114935.jpg.8504b95a12f5e0eb686096def3e98813.jpg20221116_183224.jpg.5f1c8c8c82c6bd47a3da6e6f8307d0d1.jpg

I have not seen as many about  since  1976 , last week i drove past a field just outside of Northamptonshire  and it was covered  in them . Ihave picked a lot of Bluelegs but i have  found a lot have started to rot from the top  instead of the stem, i have never saw this before  so it may just be the weather ,

As said in another thread my mate and I were on the side of the Moor in Fir woods after Hedgehog mushrooms and Winter Chanterelles.

These are easy to ones to learn.

IMG_7606.jpeg.6b70df7a7d2a6106adc33e12aa479b55.jpeg

Hedgehogs are White/Cream on top or it's small cousin Terracotta both edible with spikes instead of gills. I scrape the spikes off before cooking. As you can see an irregular shaped cap.

IMG_7608.jpeg.308e0b177b2bbfaa8fa2ec5ff77b287c.jpeg

IMG_7590.jpeg.57cf59b663248e76af0da1443d4e6d45.jpeg

The Winter Chanterelle grow in the same brash your looking and looking then find yourself standing on the thousands every where.

IMG_7596.jpeg.f4844e99d806bfc3c667389848a1cd71.jpeg

Must have a yellow hollow stalk.

IMG_7599.jpeg.fe4e98bbad0f1578d0fb7088fb151a3c.jpeg

Nick name Yellow foot.

Notice they don't have proper gills more like veins or a cabbage leaf.

IMG_7601.jpeg.2029550cb27315610a220525ba8966ad.jpeg

WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM

A very safe mushroom for novice foragers and very tasty too.
WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM

Occasional but can be found in great numbers towards the end of the season when lucky enough to find them.  

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Absolutely brilliant mate really admire your knowledge and the fact your always out there doing it I can’t wait to retire ??

I'll be honest mate I had to look it up. But a cracking little thing. Old folk law says pixies and elf's drink the morning dew from them hence the name.

Retirement is good but get old ain't mate Lol.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Absolutely brilliant mate really admire your knowledge and the fact your always out there doing it I can’t wait to retire ??

Agreed ?… it ain’t something you wanna get wrong to be fair ….. it’s not like getting confused between hazelnuts and walnuts ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

When you say “apparently edible” ….. let us know how it goes? ?….amazing colour 

I had to look it up mate was out with the metal detector one is hardly a feed lol.

WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM

Easy to identify and spot, this tasty mushroom can be found from December to March when there isn’t that many other fungi about.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

IMG_20230217_134846_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230217_134840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230217_134727_HDR.jpg

Birch Polypore a not tasty but very interesting fungi. All sorts of properties anti cancer anti fungal and antiseptic. The skin can be peeled off to make an antiseptic plaster a hot coal can be carried in it. Otzi the Stone Age mummy found in the Alps was found to be carrying some and though it was to treat a parasite in his gut called whip worm.

Worth looking up.

Cheers Arry

• 1 month later...