Advice on good air rifle shops

I'm getting a new pup in a few weeks and, as the rabbit population near me has declined rapidly over the last few years, I'm considering getting an air-rifle and training the pup to work with the air-rifle in order to broaden its horizons as my other two have become completely dependant on squirrel for any kind of work.

I live in Waterlooville so Portsmouth Gun Centre is close by and I regularly go to north Dartmoor so I was also considering Okehampton Gun Ltd. Does anybody have any experience of either shop and subsequent recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I'm getting a new pup in a few weeks and, as the rabbit population near me has declined rapidly over the last few years, I'm considering getting an air-rifle and training the pup to work with the air-rifle in order to broaden its horizons as my other two have become completely dependant on squirrel for any kind of work.

I live in Waterlooville so Portsmouth Gun Centre is close by and I regularly go to north Dartmoor so I was also considering Okehampton Gun Ltd. Does anybody have any experience of either shop and subsequent recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Avalon guns, mendip.  About a two hour drive from you.  Not been there myself, but my son and my brother in law have had some really good deals there.  New, 2nd hand, complete set ups etc.  

Merlin field and country, my local rfd, pontypridd, south wales.  About a three hour drive.  Has everything, can't fault them.

Hope that may be of help.  ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

Many thanks. I'll have a quick look at their websites too. I just wanted to make sure it was someone who'd give good advice about what was best for me rather than get as much money as they can out of me.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Many thanks. I'll have a quick look at their websites too. I just wanted to make sure it was someone who'd give good advice about what was best for me rather than get as much money as they can out of me.

Tell us what you want and we can advise you ??

• Like 1
16 hours ago, villaman said:

Not far from you 

THEGUNSHOPBOTLEY.COM

A modern Hampshire gun shop with traditional values and service. Shotguns, rifles, airguns, country...

Found them hugely overpriced and not at all helpful in advice and after the job they did on a mates stock I’m staying clear 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neal said:

Bought my Franchi semi auto from them and a HW 110 plus loads of cartridges found them good to deal with

The Spotsmans Gun shop is 5 minutes off junction 30 of the M5. It's a big place with loads of stuff in there, worth a look. As above, Avalon Guns are a good place, way smaller than the Sports Man but helpful. Avalon Guns about 15-20 minutes off of junction 23 M5.

WWW.SPORTSMANGUNCENTRE.CO.UK

Price match guarantee + no-hassle returns from Europe's biggest & best shooting retailer. Choose from...
WWW.AVALON-GUNS.COM

The UK's number 1 supplier of shotguns, firearms and airguns for hunting and leisure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I would not use The Sportsman unless you know exactly what you want as I wouldn't trust their staff not to dish out pure bullshit. Unfortunately they are now the importers of FX guns along with various other guns so they will try to flog you what gives the highest profit and possibly not what suits your needs.  You are better telling us what yu are wanting and perhaps there is someone on here that may have what you are looking for and save some money plus get the chance, depending where they are based, for you to try the gun out. Just a thought.

Phil

• Like 2

Thanks Phil. Good advice. I'll do a bit more research and then add my thoughts to this post.?

My initial thoughts (off the top of my head, before doing any research) is that I know I'd prefer a springer and I'd always assumed I'd prefer an Air Arms but so many people are in favour of that German company that I can never remember how to spell (or pronounce)...(Weirhauch?) that I'd probably consider them too. My main concerns are a) reliability and b) nothing too big as I'm hobbit sized at barely 5' 6". 

Weihrauch rifles have a strong following on here and a few followers of the Air Arms springers.  I would consider buying one from here as there is a good chance it has been tuned so to run as well as possible.  Under lever versions will be much heavier than break barrel versions which could be important to you.  A really light springer is usually very lively and jumps when fired making them not as accurate as the heavier rifles so be aware of that when you are looking AND be sure to tell us what you fancy in order to get some good advice on here from some of the experts with springer rifles and I am not in that league so will leave that to the better informed such as Bigmac, Villaman, Si Brown and Pianoman among others.  

Phil

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for all the advice.

I've done a bit of research and sort of found myself coming full circle. From memory of a good review I'd once read in the past (on the lines of "it's a good little knock about air rifle which does what you want of it but without the bells and whistles") I was initially leaning towards a BSA..."something" sport or lightning? However, the drawback of research is that you always find reviews which says something along the lines of, "If you like that then you'll love this..." which lead me towards Air Arms (pro sport or TX200?) or Weihrauch (possibly the 77?). The main things putting me off the latter two are a) size and weight (as I said, I'm only small!) b) price and c) as a result of the price question...they may be better but are they that much better for a beginner when I may be better off with a more cheap-and-cheerful. I had a quick look online and noticed that Chichester Armoury currently have a few BSA springers in stock.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance again.?

25 minutes ago, Neal said:

Thanks again for all the advice.

I've done a bit of research and sort of found myself coming full circle. From memory of a good review I'd once read in the past (on the lines of "it's a good little knock about air rifle which does what you want of it but without the bells and whistles") I was initially leaning towards a BSA..."something" sport or lightning? However, the drawback of research is that you always find reviews which says something along the lines of, "If you like that then you'll love this..." which lead me towards Air Arms (pro sport or TX200?) or Weihrauch (possibly the 77?). The main things putting me off the latter two are a) size and weight (as I said, I'm only small!) b) price and c) as a result of the price question...they may be better but are they that much better for a beginner when I may be better off with a more cheap-and-cheerful. I had a quick look online and noticed that Chichester Armoury currently have a few BSA springers in stock.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance again.?

Better off shouldering the ones you've mentioned, and a few you might not have thought of yet,  as balance has quite an effect on the weight once you actually shoulder it, and everyone will have a different opinion.  For example, even though my HW97 KT was heavier than my TX200 HC, it felt better balanced and lighter than the TX.  But for my son, who's about 4 inches taller than me, with longer arms, it was the opposite lol, which you wouldn't think.  

Get out and shoulder a few, neal.  You'll probably be surprised by your findings, I know I was.  ?

Oh yeah, a HW95 K is roughly the same price as the bsa's, and a great rifle, dare I say this, and FAR better than the lightning etc.  Plus, it's a break barrel, and only weighs a tad over seven pounds, if you're concerned with weight.  There's also the HW99 S.

All the underlevers you've mentiond are considerably heavier, and unless you put a sling on them, will leave you wishing you'd bought something far lighter, after a couple of hours, unless you plan to do a fair bit of static shooting, in a hide, off sticks etc.

Good luck in your search.  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1