A walkabout grousehunt

This year we decided to do a backpack grousehunt on three persons with two dogs. We had to pack and carry all dogfood, dogstuff, food for us self, ammo and two mountain tents for a five days roundtrip. The first afternoon before the huntingseason started we hiked up on the fell to have a good start the first morning, as the weather forcast had said it beguinn to rain then we had reached our first camp place. We had a very rainy and windy first night it it was still raining in the morning and lasted til noon.

thumbnail_IMG_0034[1].jpg

• Like 4

In the morning we went out and hunted without backpacks around a small lake and some marshlands we got a fiew birds. After lunch we packed up and hunted/hiked our way to the second camp place at the stream Lievasjokka.

biffen.jpg

J o JO.jpg

sten m ripor.jpg

• Like 4

Hunting with backpacks on through the second hunting day, we didn`t get many birds the dogs had it difficult to find them, the day were saved by the sunny weather and a terrain neasy enough to walk through.

383716405_fjll2.jpg.1f3edb6f73331aeb2503dd7a0564915f.jpg

J med hund på sök.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome, I'd love to do some thing like that. Please post more of the same when you do them

What tents & packs were you using?
Do you need to take any precautions or do anything different when having a dog in the tent with you?

Yes I love to be in the scandinavian alps nothing beats what feeling of freedom.

I had a Helsport Nordmarkka 2 and the others had a Bergans Romsdal 3 , for dogs you need a bit thicker material in the sleeping mat. For backpacks i used a Haglöfs Nejd65 and my brother used a Arcteryx bora80.

• Like 1
On 31/08/2021 at 00:22, KimE said:

Yes I love to be in the scandinavian alps nothing beats what feeling of freedom.

I had a Helsport Nordmarkka 2 and the others had a Bergans Romsdal 3 , for dogs you need a bit thicker material in the sleeping mat. For backpacks i used a Haglöfs Nejd65 and my brother used a Arcteryx bora80.

Lots of top tips there, many thanks.

Do you have to protect the floor of the tents from nails?

We didn`t use any additional protection on the tent floor my brother are using an Exped sleeping mat he has used for several years with dogs without problem. You may get more wear on your gear with dogs but so far these dogs behaved really well and were so tired after a hunting day they lay down most of the time in the tent.

• Like 1

Only just found this post . Thanks for sharing. I loved the photos , beautiful landscape , and an interesting hunt . Keep them coming, it’s always good to see how things are done in other countries . The grouse numbers here are poor . A number of factors to blame . But there probably won’t be the surplus numbers for shooting for a couple of years . 

• Like 3